• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Duovid scope? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Leica Duovid scope? Bet that got your attention! No, it doesn’t exist and I’ve no reason to suppose that it will, but I can’t see why it shouldn’t! Indeed I really think it should!

What is clear to me is that, in terms of birding binoculars, the Duovids are a flop. The one time I’ve looked at ‘em they seemed as optically brilliant as their older siblings and didn’t appear to lose any image quality at the higher power. However, virtually nobody seems to prefer them over mono-magnification glasses and they certainly haven’t dented the current ‘top dog’ position of Swarovski Els. The fact is that most birders don’t particularly want to bump magnification uop to a non-hand holdable 12x or 15x. (In contrast, I predict that the new Leica Ultravids will usurp Swarovski’s position as most desirable bins; not that they’re optically or ergonomically any better, it’s just that they’re newer, more expensive and carry the exclusivity of the Leica name).

However, there is no such resistance to multiple magnification when it comes to ‘scopes. How many of us have dithered over sacrificing the image quality and field of view of a fixed power eyepiece to gain the flexibility of zooming between x20 and x60? About the same number, I’d guess, that have rued the day they couldn’t zoom up their fixed x25/x30 lens when faced with a distant conundrum! Changing lenses is an option, I suppose, but I don’t want all that airborne crud getting between me and my optics!

Now, as I understand it, the great thing about the Duovid system is that there is no (or very little) loss in image quality unlike zoom eyepieces. I’m not so sure on this, but I also understand that the field of view is better and the ‘tunnel effect’ of zooms is less/absent. Add to this the observable tendency for zoom ‘scopes to be employed at either the lowest (x20/25) or highest (x50/60) usable magnification and the attraction of a ‘Duovid’ scope become clear. Even if we’re stuck with the 1:1.5 ratio a x30/45 would be an interesting proposition, but a 1:2 ratio a x25/50 or x30/60 would be unbeatable! Not only that but the beast could be really sealed against the elements and, arguably, ought to be cheaper than having a prime quality ‘scope with a range of lenses.

Have I entirely lost my reason or do others think this is a lost opportunity for Leica? So if Leica or Steve Dudley (their representative on Earth – well the UK!) is listening, how about it?

John

Personally I doubt that we'll be seeing such a scope from Leica. I quite agree that the idea of the two fixed magnifications could be great - in fact my first scope had such a system with two eyepieces being permanently attatched - but alas it didn't have the optical quality of a Leica.
I am sure that the poor sales of the Duovid bins would put them off trying it in a scope. That said I personally think the Douvids are fantastic and bought a pair earlier in the year. They remain bright and clear on the 12x and are quite easy to keep steady, they are very well balanced bins.
No doubt for the time being we will all still have to face the dilema of zoom or fixed eyepiece.

and how much would it weigh? an 80 mil scope and tripod must be seriously tiring already?

...and are the Swarowskis really that popular with people who already had a pair of Leicas, Zeiss etc or are they favoured by newer birders as a first choice.......

John Cantelo said:
Have I entirely lost my reason or do others think this is a lost opportunity for Leica? So if Leica or Steve Dudley (their representative on Earth – well the UK!) is listening, how about it?
John

It is an interesting idea. Some years ago Leica brought out a camera lens with 3 preset focal lengths, the idea being that because the optical designer only had to optimise 3 focal lengths (s)he could get higher optical quality for a given price when compared to a true zoom lens. I don't see why they couldn't do the same with an eyepiece: a 20xw/30xw, or a 30xw/45xw with performance close to fixed focal length eyepieces would surely go own a treat, assuming it is possible of course.

The Questar scope has a dual magnification system, doesn't it? Last time I had a squint through one was at the Lundy Ancient Murrelet. The ability to flip to 100x magnification (or whatever it was) was quite something - even if that power was a bit over the top (I gather became useless at the slightest whiff of heat haze).

Jason

A digital camera website (www.dpreview.com) has a fascinating item on the development of "fluid lenses" by Philips Research. Apparently this is a
"unique variable-focus lens system that has no mechanical moving parts" which "mimics the action of the human eye using a fluid lens that alters its focal length by changing its shape". It also
"lends itself to high volume manufacturing, overcomes the fixed-focus disadvantages of many of today’s low-cost imaging systems". It's all very technical and I'm not sure how far it could be applied to 'scopes & bins, but I'd imagine that the potential could be enormous. John

Bluetail said:
The Questar scope has a dual magnification system, doesn't it? Last time I had a squint through one was at the Lundy Ancient Murrelet. The ability to flip to 100x magnification (or whatever it was) was quite something - even if that power was a bit over the top (I gather became useless at the slightest whiff of heat haze).

Jason

I think the Questar allows you to switch between viewing through the finder scope, and the main instrument? I'm not sure since I have never used one, though 20 years ago I used to dream of owning one.

Hi Leif

As I recall there was a small finder scope on top of the instrument with something like a 6x magnification; but there was also a switch on the scope itself which, when you flipped it, changed the magnification of the main lenses from 50x to 100x (or thereabouts).

Yes, I used to dream too! I've often wondered why they fell from favour. Was it just the expense?

Jason

Leif, The Questar has a built in barlow which can be switched in and out of the light path of the main tube by turning a knob on the back. Any of the birding scopes could include a similar thing in the prism housing. It would be handy as you mentioned in another thread. Henry

Thanks for the corrections. It makes me wonder why Leica et al do not produce a scope with a built in Barlow? Maybe it would cut eyepiece sales?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back