• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using my Trinovids in the field (1 Viewer)

simonineaston

...looking forward to retiring!
Hi everyone, just joined! I recently treated myself to a pair of early Trinovid 8x40 binoculars to use when out walking, which is one of my main hobbies - I live in Bristol, UK and the country-side (and indeed the city itself) around about the city is very varied and riddled with public rights of way. Heretofor, I've not been particularly interested in bird life, but I'm learning to appreciate them, with guidance from my more experienced chums, for example I've learnt that there's a great spot to see the peregrines that (sometimes) live in the Avon gorge, from the opposite side, atop The Downs. I've also learned about what my birdie friends refer to as "LBJs" although that didn't stop me from being excited when I spotted a Stone Chat the other day, which I'd at first dismissed as another little brown job!
Anyway, my question is simply this: Reading around about my Leitz binoculars I see that they are described as being suitable for use in outdoor environments and common sense tells me that a top-quality instrument from a leading manufacurer should surely be designed and built with its intended use in mind, but in reality how water-proof are my Trinovid B binoculars? Should I put them away at the first sign of rain? Or perhaps I should have them serviced (by Leica?) on the basis that O-rings and sealants may have deteriorted since the day they were assembled... I have a pair of Barr & Stroud Chinese-made 8x binoculars too, which are claimed to be water-proof, but given the British weather, if I erred on the side of caution and took the Barr & Stoud bin.s everytime I thought it might rain, I'd never actually get to use the Lietz! Advice please!

Hi Simon and welcome to BirdForum. I've got the slightly newer 8x42 Trinovids and really enjoy using them. Hopefully somebody with experience of your model will give some advice shortly.

Interestingly though, one of the best birders I know around here uses Nikon SE's and they're not classed as waterproof. Don't think he has an issue.

I don't know if have transport btw but I'd strongly recommend a visit down to the Somerset Levels. Give your Trinovids a real outing:t:

Rich

Hi everyone, just joined! I recently treated myself to a pair of early Trinovid 8x40 binoculars to use when out walking, which is one of my main hobbies - I live in Bristol, UK and the country-side (and indeed the city itself) around about the city is very varied and riddled with public rights of way. Heretofor, I've not been particularly interested in bird life, but I'm learning to appreciate them, with guidance from my more experienced chums, for example I've learnt that there's a great spot to see the peregrines that (sometimes) live in the Avon gorge, from the opposite side, atop The Downs. I've also learned about what my birdie friends refer to as "LBJs" although that didn't stop me from being excited when I spotted a Stone Chat the other day, which I'd at first dismissed as another little brown job!
Anyway, my question is simply this: Reading around about my Leitz binoculars I see that they are described as being suitable for use in outdoor environments and common sense tells me that a top-quality instrument from a leading manufacurer should surely be designed and built with its intended use in mind, but in reality how water-proof are my Trinovid B binoculars? Should I put them away at the first sign of rain? Or perhaps I should have them serviced (by Leica?) on the basis that O-rings and sealants may have deteriorted since the day they were assembled... I have a pair of Barr & Stroud Chinese-made 8x binoculars too, which are claimed to be water-proof, but given the British weather, if I erred on the side of caution and took the Barr & Stoud bin.s everytime I thought it might rain, I'd never actually get to use the Lietz! Advice please!

Hi Simon,

None of the Leitz Trinovids were considered water proof as far as I know although Allbinos states in its reviews that the rubber covered models are water proof. I wouldn't count on them surviving a good dunking though. They have been around for so long and so many have survived and are still in use that it is reasonable to assume that they can survive bad weather if they are reasonably protected.

I have a Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA (armored) which I happily used for many years until I upgraded it with a new Leica 7x42 BN Trinovid which is a lot heavier and brighter. I have stayed out of the rain with both of them.

Here is a review of the Leitz 8x40 B by Allbinos with 3 separate 5 star user reviews included:

https://www.allbinos.com/1640-Leitz_Trinovid_8x40_B-binoculars_specifications.html

Since you state that one of your main hobbies is walking, consider how much time you spend walking in the rain. You may not need to worry about whether or not it is water proof. It only weighs about 21 ounces so you could keep it under your rain jacket while you are walking.

Enjoy your new binoculars!

Bob

Last edited:
Welcome, and I wish you much success in your new pursuit. A spot that affords a truly great view of peregrines is a treasure indeed - here in the city, buildings are very often in the way. They seem to fly even more dramatically in the updrafts created by precipitous terrain and you may feel after watching one good flight during the season of their display and courtship (which is soon coming) that it alone was worth the price you paid for your binoculars.

Regarding the weather resistance of your Leitz binoculars...they are not waterproof in the strict sense of the word (ie. will not withstand immersion) but most sources indicate they are splash- or weather-proof and should be usable in drizzle or even light rain - though it's worth noting that using binoculars in the rain is, for me anyway, a pretty miserable experience.

Having them serviced would not be a bad idea - your pair may not have been serviced for decades (if ever) and may well benefit from a thorough cleaning and regreasing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back