• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of the Canary Islands (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
The Canary Islands is a popular destination for birders and travellers with an interest in wildlife and nature, and one of the best places in the world to see several scarce species such as the Houbara Bustard. They also hold a number of endemic birds that occur nowhere else, such as the emblematic Blue Chaffinch.

This beautifully illustrated guide covers all the birds found in the islands, providing concise descriptions for easy identification and plates for easy identification of all species. It's the perfect guide for any visitor to these sun-kissed islands.

Scheduled for February 2018

I'm curious on the account of the Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch as it was previously always regarded as subspecies of the Tenerife Blue Chaffinch.

https://www.nhbs.com/birds-of-the-canary-islands-book

The Canary Islands is a popular destination for birders and travellers with an interest in wildlife and nature, and one of the best places in the world to see several scarce species such as the Houbara Bustard. They also hold a number of endemic birds that occur nowhere else, such as the emblematic Blue Chaffinch.

This beautifully illustrated guide covers all the birds found in the islands, providing concise descriptions for easy identification and plates for easy identification of all species. It's the perfect guide for any visitor to these sun-kissed islands.

Scheduled for February 2018

I'm curious on the account of the Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch as it was previously always regarded as subspecies of the Tenerife Blue Chaffinch.

I'm not sure it matters, books follow a taxonomic line, not the opposite.

A

The IOC have split the Blue Chaffinches from the two islands in to separate species. The cover picture shows the Tenerife species, with a plainer face and less marked wing-bars than the Gran Canaria form - plus that looks very much like Teide in the background.

Steve

The question is whether this book will follow this split. Birds of Spain (from Lynx) was published in early 2017 and they have still considered F. polatzeki as a subspecies.

Last edited:
The question whether this book will follow this split. Birds of Spain (from Lynx) was published in early 2017 and they have still considered F. polatzeki as a subspecies.

This is my point, the species lists are what's important, not what an individual author decides.

A World lister who follows e.g the IOC (like me) will split it regardless of what the author does with it.

How many lists would we have to keep if we followed authors!

A

This is my point, the species lists are what's important, not what an individual author decides.

A World lister who follows e.g the IOC (like me) will split it regardless of what the author does with it.

How many lists would we have to keep if we followed authors!

A

But with the ever changing lists one has never a base from which to go. That's why I decided to call it enough for me and stick with the HBW Illustrated Checklist. In addition that is a most convenient base simply because it is more than just a list of names like the IOC one.
It does not really matter to me whether I have a few species more or less on my life list. Often, I go by types or forms instead of species. Thus, in the case of the owls discussed elsewhere, Hume's Owl, and Omani Owl would be two types for me whether they are considered two species or not. And the idea of including Hume's Owl into the Tawny Owl as a species was so absurd for me that anybody could have said or written anything. It was always a most fascinating separate "type" or form, both by its looks and by its habitat. That's what counts for me.

Last edited:
I could imagine that the Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds by Shirihai and Svensson will be the first book that will treat F. polatzeki as a species. I hope it will really published next year.

By the way there is still no comprehensive update on this species in HBW Alive. Maybe they are waiting too until there is a book with a comprehensive text.

I was rather disappointed that this subspecies was not depicted in Birds of Spain.

But with the ever changing lists one has never a base from which to go. That's why I decided to call it enough for me and stick with the HBW Illustrated Checklist. In addition that is a most convenient base simply because it is more than just a list of names like the IOC one.
It does not really matter to me whether I have a few species more or less on my life list. Often, I go by types or forms instead of species. Thus, in the case of the owls discussed elsewhere, Hume's Owl, and Omani Owl would be two types for me whether they are considered two species or not. And the idea of including Hume's Owl into the Tawny Owl as a species was so absurd for me that anybody could have said or written anything. It was always a most fascinating separate "type" or form, both by its looks and by its habitat. That's what counts for me.

The list is the base Robert!

The IOC is far more than just a list of names, it's also far easier to make changes to it but anyway.

I use the Scythebill apllication which is amazing, simple and free but this only includes the IOC and ebird/Clements so far.

A

Last edited:
My German supplier has this book in stock. I've ordered it today and maybe I can count with my copy next week. By the way there is a major update on the Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch entry at HBW alive. It looks very comprehensive.

I have it - overall it's sufficiently informative (has also several pages with best locations to visit etc.) and illustrations are good (quality as expected from a Helm field guide - so maybe not on Collins level but still good) etc. The value of the book probably depends how the user intends to use the book. As a smaller, easier to carry around substitute to Collins (the book is a bit taller but much thinner) to use in the field it should do very nice and when I'll visit Canaries in the future I'll definitely will be taking it with me.

So far I would say that I kinda miss distribution maps as they would make it easier to 'read' the exact range/distribution of species. Maybe it's just nitpicking as probably it's difficult to draw very detailed maps on such small scale and the information actually is there - just scattered around a bit. Like for example - for most of species the preferred habitats (laurel forest, costal scrub etc.) are listed in the description and on the 13th page there is a map that sows the distribution of said macrohabitats on Canary islands. So using this map it is at least somewhat possible to get the idea of probable ranges of different species. So maybe it works just fine when you get more used to it.

Another nitpick would be that number of records of rare vagrants can be found only in table at the end of the book. Considering that most of pages with species accounts are left 1/4 blank (some even more - few have 1/2 of the page blank) I don't really know why that information wasn't included already in the species accounts? For example for both vagrant Gallinules (Purple and Allen's) in the description their distribution is mentioned only in one word - "Vagrant". To find out on which islands and how many times these species have been seen you have to check that table at the end of the book and that's not exactly the most fastest/comfortable way.

Also feel like that some additional information on when it's more probable to see different vagrants would be nice and made this book easier to use as stand-alone guide without checking other references (eg. Collins guide). For example for Little Bunting it only said: "Vagrant. Attracted to golf courses.". Nothing about when is the best time to find Little Buntings. Ok, of course those who are familiar with European birds (or use this book together with Collins bird guide) know that Little Bunting is a northern species that reaches S-Europe only late autumn/winter (so probably it is the same in Canary islands) etc. etc., but I think it would make sense to include such information also in this book so there would be less need to use also other resources. And as I said - it's not like there is space issues (Bunting page is one of fullest with ~1/5 of page blank).

So my conclusion is that yes I find the book very nice and will use it during future trips (hopefully) to Canaries, but there are some small issues that could have made the book even better (at least for me). :t:

Last edited:
These books are pretty good I have a few of these ones Birds of Cuba & Birds of The Atlantic Islands which covers the Canaries but it be good to have one entirely on the islands.

Last edited:
I have it - overall it's sufficiently informative (has also several pages with best locations to visit etc.) and illustrations are good (quality as expected from a Helm field guide - so maybe not on Collins level but still good) etc. The value of the book probably depends how the user intends to use the book. As a smaller, easier to carry around substitute to Collins (the book is a bit taller but much thinner) to use in the field it should do very nice and when I'll visit Canaries in the future I'll definitely will be taking it with me.

So far I would say that I kinda miss distribution maps as they would make it easier to 'read' the exact range/distribution of species. Maybe it's just nitpicking as probably it's difficult to draw very detailed maps on such small scale and the information actually is there - just scattered around a bit. Like for example - for most of species the preferred habitats (laurel forest, costal scrub etc.) are listed in the description and on the 13th page there is a map that sows the distribution of said macrohabitats on Canary islands. So using this map it is at least somewhat possible to get the idea of probable ranges of different species. So maybe it works just fine when you get more used to it.

Another nitpick would be that number of records of rare vagrants can be found only in table at the end of the book. Considering that most of pages with species accounts are left 1/4 blank (some even more - few have 1/2 of the page blank) I don't really know why that information wasn't included already in the species accounts? For example for both vagrant Gallinules (Purple and Allen's) in the description their distribution is mentioned only in one word - "Vagrant". To find out on which islands and how many times these species have been seen you have to check that table at the end of the book and that's not exactly the most fastest/comfortable way.

Also feel like that some additional information on when it's more probable to see different vagrants would be nice and made this book easier to use as stand-alone guide without checking other references (eg. Collins guide). For example for Little Bunting it only said: "Vagrant. Attracted to golf courses.". Nothing about when is the best time to find Little Buntings. Ok, of course those who are familiar with European birds (or use this book together with Collins bird guide) know that Little Bunting is a northern species that reaches S-Europe only late autumn/winter (so probably it is the same in Canary islands) etc. etc., but I think it would make sense to include such information also in this book so there would be less need to use also other resources. And as I said - it's not like there is space issues (Bunting page is one of fullest with ~1/5 of page blank).

So my conclusion is that yes I find the book very nice and will use it during future trips (hopefully) to Canaries, but there are some small issues that could have made the book even better (at least for me). :t:

Thanks. Just the kind of helpful information that I needed - it's probably a "buy" for me too, then.

:t:

I got my copy today. The illustrations are good and it is great to see that they regard the Canaria Blue Chaff-finch as distinct species.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back