• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Grallaricula from Colombia (1 Viewer)

cajanuma

Italy
I guess more details will be forthcoming soon, but a press conference was held today by the mayor of Cali to announce the discovery of a new species of Grallaricula antpitta from Farallones de Cali National Park just outside the city:
http://www.cali.gov.co/dagma/public...-la-nueva-especie-de-ave-descubierta-en-cali/

Pretty amazing considering that the general area has been relatively well worked! A few pictures have made their way to Facebook, looks fairly similar to Peruvian Antpitta:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215597346674658&set=pcb.400739907273676&type=3&theater

Sorry about this, I meant to post this to the taxonomy forum, is there any way to move this post or should I erase it and write a new one in the proper forum?

I guess more details will be forthcoming soon, but a press conference was held today by the mayor of Cali to announce the discovery of a new species of Grallaricula antpitta from Farallones de Cali National Park just outside the city:
http://www.cali.gov.co/dagma/public...-la-nueva-especie-de-ave-descubierta-en-cali/

Pretty amazing considering that the general area has been relatively well worked! A few pictures have made their way to Facebook, looks fairly similar to Peruvian Antpitta:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215597346674658&set=pcb.400739907273676&type=3&theater

Anybody voulunteering a translation?

Not much of interest in that press release. Basically, they state that the discovery of this new antpitta is great news for Colombia, as it fortifies the leading position of Colombia, the state of Cali and the Cauca valley as some of the most important biodiversity sites in the world.

Greetings
Maffong

Not much of interest in that press release. Basically, they state that the discovery of this new antpitta is great news for Colombia, as it fortifies the leading position of Colombia, the state of Cali and the Cauca valley as some of the most important biodiversity sites in the world.

Greetings
Maffong

OK, thanks.

I'm sure you're all capable of using Google translate, but for convenience, the essence is: first mist netted years ago but then misidentified. Later Diego Calderón photographed and asked for confirmation was Peruvian ap. On investigation, genetics suggest closer to hooded. Shakes during display and that gives it its Spanish (presumably to scientific) name of dancing antpitta. Is dimorphic: males have chestnut crown. About 8cm long. The announcement was premature: paper with description in prep. Known from 5 locations, none public but they're trying to tame one a la angel paz. Did I miss anything?

I'm sure you're all capable of using Google translate, but for convenience, the essence is: first mist netted years ago but then misidentified. Later Diego Calderón photographed and asked for confirmation was Peruvian ap. On investigation, genetics suggest closer to hooded. Shakes during display and that gives it its Spanish (presumably to scientific) name of dancing antpitta. Is dimorphic: males have chestnut crown. About 8cm long. The announcement was premature: paper with description in prep. Known from 5 locations, none public but they're trying to tame one a la angel paz. Did I miss anything?

Via the aforementioned Google translate, here's a (tidied up) version of the advance announcement:

“New species of bird discovered in Cali to be presented this Monday

At a press conference to be held at 0830 on Monday, October, a new species of native bird discovered in the rural area of the Valle del Cauca will be presented at the Government Council Hall of the City of Santiago de Cali.

This is the 562nd species to be discovered in one of the conservation properties owned by the Dagma, in the Farallones National Natural Park of Cali. The environmental authority has been working for 19 years in this location to conserve its ecosystems, actions that, in a certain way, have allowed this new discovery.

The discovery of this new Colombian endemic in the Valle del Cauca is very important for the administration of Mayor Maurice Armitage, considering that Colombia occupies the first place worldwide in bird diversity, with 1,897 species, and that 50% of these are found in the Valle del Cauca, with about 561 species inhabiting Santiago de Cali.

The last time a new species was revealed within this genus was 15 years ago, in Peru. This new finding allows Colombia, Valle del Cauca and Cali to maintain leadership in the area of avian biodiversity, with the largest number of birds of any country.

The director of the Dagma Claudia María Buitrago Restrepo, stressed the importance of contributing to the conservation of ecosystems, so that we may continue making Cali a more biodiverse city.”

Suspending my usual cynicism, it's great to see govt. representatives publicly championing their country's avian biodiversities!

This is getting a lot of attention on Colombian Twitter, just checked the Alcaldia de Cali announcement again and it has about 565 likes, way more than their other tweets about various civic projects.

Agree that it's great this has been picked up by local government - I know there are a lot of issues in Colombia as in the rest of the world with deforestation and habitat loss, but there does seem to be a good level of awareness of the importance of its bird fauna.

Great news. But I'm not sure "Dancing Antpitta" is a great name. Apparently all of the grallaricula antpittas dance/shimmy. That's how Angel Paz came up with the name Shakira for his Ochre-breasted. I also saw an Ochre-fronted do it in Peru.

But grallariculas can definitely be trained to come in for worms, so that's encouraging.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back