• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Tyrol 15x60 (1 Viewer)

Joker9937

I have had little to no luck with this binocular. Thought it might be of interest to some, and maybe elicit some help for me by posting.

I am a rookie at the vintage binocular pursuit, but my impression is that this is/was a nice binocular when new. My particular set is still very nice, but in the process of attempting to free a frozen diopter over the period of roughly a month, I broke the diopter ring and threaded sleeve. However, the image quality through the intact side seems excellent, all things considered. Looking at Jupiter showed a sharp round ball, and 4 pin-point moons. Not sure that any detail of the surface would be perceptible, but on a tripod, I would not be surprised. Daytime views are sharp with nice color and contrast. I would love to actually use them to observe the bald eagles behind my house.

So, does anyone on here have any first-hand knowledge/experience, or any book knowledge of them, for that matter?

I can say that they seem to be worth the effort that I am going to need to put forth to get them properly repaired. I have posted a couple of want ads for parts, but don't know how to do that on this site.

If there have been other posts on this site about them, I apologize for starting a new thread. I searched, but did not find anything. If anyone else needs details about mine to compare to theirs, I am happy to oblige. If you need/want more pics, I can do that too.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20190228_175203.jpg
    20190228_175203.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 104
Thanks Joker,
The Swift 15x60 is no joke. Should be nice.
I have not come across this model. Maybe not imported to U.K.?

I used a specially made Soviet 20x60 for years.
It is possible to see Jupiter's two equatorial bands with 20x or 22x, possibly 18x, but somebody with very fine might see them with a 15x60.
To be seen as one combined darker belt probably needs less magnification.
Jupiter is very low here, but should be fine for you.

I can make out the gap between Saturn and its rings with Canon 18x50 sometimes, but it usually needs 20x60.

Some people can see Jupiter's moons with unaided eyes, so any binocular can show them.

There is a good repairer called Cory, (Suddarth Optical Repairs), in the U.S. Perhaps ask him to repair the binocular.

P.S.
The field seems average at 4.0 degrees.
Possibly 3 element eyepieces.
I have an old Zeiss 15x60, from memory 4.4 degrees. It is really nice.
And a Soviet 15x50.

How much does the Swift Tyrol 15x60 weigh?

B.

Last edited:
Thanks Joker,
The Swift 15x60 is no joke. Should be nice.
I have not come across this model. Maybe not imported to U.K.?

I used a specially made Soviet 20x60 for years.
It is possible to see Jupiter's two equatorial bands with 20x or 22x, possibly 18x, but somebody with very fine might see them with a 15x60.
To be seen as one combined darker belt probably needs less magnification.
Jupiter is very low here, but should be fine for you.

I can make out the gap between Saturn and its rings with Canon 18x50 sometimes, but it usually needs 20x60.

Some people can see Jupiter's moons with unaided eyes, so any binocular can show them.

There is a good repairer called Cory, (Suddarth Optical Repairs), in the U.S. Perhaps ask him to repair the binocular.

P.S.
The field seems average at 4.0 degrees.
Possibly 3 element eyepieces.
I have an old Zeiss 15x60, from memory 4.4 degrees. It is really nice.
And a Soviet 15x50.

How much does the Swift Tyrol 15x60 weigh?

B.

Thank you for the response. I have a few binoculars that I will probably send to SOR. He is the most well-regarded repairman that I know of here. Very personable guy, I understand.

I don't know much about this model at all. I am hoping to learn a little. What little I do know, though, leads me to believe, like you said, they are no joke. I think they are potentially very nice binoculars. Still very frustrated that I failed the simple repair.

I do not know their weight, and don't have an appropriate scales. Just comparing them to others I have, Audubons and a few others, they seem light relative to their size.

I have had very excellent service on several brands of binoculars, mostly Swift from Nicholas Crista at https://nrcoptics.wordpress.com/. He was the head repair man for Swift back in the day before Allison Swift. He was backing off a bit when last I used him, but if he still is working, and more importantly considering new clients, I'd give him a call at least.

I thought I might resurrect this thread. I was hoping one of the Swift experts on here might be familiar enough with this model to suggest models, regardless of brand, that would have interchangeable parts. I still have not found anything.

Anyone?

Perhaps you can 3D print the parts?
Apparently some libraries have these machines for public use.

Or buy a faulty similar binocular with the parts you need.

Regards,
B.

Perhaps you can 3D print the parts?
Apparently some libraries have these machines for public use.

Or buy a faulty similar binocular with the parts you need.

Regards,
B.

Thank you! I didn't realize that those printers were available.

And, yes, I would gladly cannibalize another bino. I was hoping that someone on her would have knowledge of other models or brands that would have interchangeable parts.

Those eyepieces look like standard, not wide angle eyepieces.
I would expect them to be the same as those on similar looking 10x40 and 12x50 binoculars.

However, only a repairer would probably know.

B.

P.S.
An 8x30 with the same eyepieces would probably be the cheapest option.

Last edited:
Thank you! I didn't realize that those printers were available.

And, yes, I would gladly cannibalize another bino. I was hoping that someone on here would have knowledge of other models or brands that would have interchangeable parts.

Hello Joker,

Your Tyrol seems to be a pre-1960/61 specimen that was sold by the original Swift & Anderson Co., rather than Swift Instruments, Inc. Pricewise, in its day it was the penultimate instrument selling for slightly less ($115) than the 8.5x44 Audubon ($125).

I've attached two pages from the 1959 S&A catalog showing all of the "Quality Binoculars ... American Pattern" that might be sources of spare parts.

In the past, I've dealt a lot with Nicolas Crista, and he's probably the best source of spare parts for this old model. He is/was also capable of fabricating parts when necessary.

Please say hello to him from me if you do contact him, and let's hear how it works out.

Ed Huff

Attachments

• Swift Tryol 1959.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Those eyepieces look like standard, not wide angle eyepieces.
I would expect them to be the same as those on similar looking 10x40 and 12x50 binoculars.

However, only a repairer would probably know.

B.

P.S.
An 8x30 with the same eyepieces would probably be the cheapest option.

Thanks, Binastro. I actually have the eps. I need the focuser arm, and a threaded sleeve that holds the ep.

It is a configuration that, in my limited experience, seems to be a little unique. The arm, as alluded to above, allows a sleeve to thread into it, which creates the diopter adjustment. Because, the ep sits in the sleeve, the knurled diopter "knob" then fits over the ep and has set-screws that are tightened onto the sleeve. So, the ep sort of floats, it seems, in the sleeve.

I am not sure if my word pictures allow you to envision what I am describing. My apologies, if not. I have attached a few photos, but not sure if it will be clear.

Hello Joker,

Your Tyrol seems to be a pre-1960/61 specimen that was sold by the original Swift & Anderson Co., rather than Swift Instruments, Inc. Pricewise, in its day it was the penultimate instrument selling for slightly less ($115) than the 8.5x44 Audubon ($125).

I've attached two pages from the 1959 S&A catalog showing all of the "Quality Binoculars ... American Pattern" that might be sources of spare parts.

In the past, I've dealt a lot with Nicolas Crista, and he's probably the best source of spare parts for this old model. He is/was also capable of fabricating parts when necessary.

Please say hello to him from me if you do contact him, and let's hear how it works out.

Ed Huff

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the information. I enjoy those details very much. I was hoping to hear info like this.

I still could kick myself for getting too heavy-handed with the repair I was attempting on them. I am just hoping to save them for the fun of using them, but also because they seem to be uncommon. I would hate for them to slip into the garbage dump, and thus oblivion.

Yesterday I thought I had struck gold. I picked up a Swift Sport King (pics attached) that had many similarities, but much larger glass in the eps. But, it was local and $10. I thought if it did not work for parts, it would at least be a fun binocular to clean up and use for cheap.

I put the caliper on the collar/sleeve that threads into the body, and would allow the focuser arm and ep/diopter sleeve to slide in and out. It measured out to be exactly the same diameter as the Tyrol's. I was pretty excited.

However, while there is a similar threaded sleeve inside the focuser arm, the ep is so wide that it consumes the whole sleeve, which results in the sleeve actually being a part of the ep, or vice versa, whichever way you want to see it. So, I just put it back together and expected to use it for an extra binocular or something else.

After reassembling it, I realized that the opposite side (left) focuser arm is cracked at the hinge connection. Bummer!!! Now I have TWO binoculars that need parts. LOL. Or, maybe this one will make some nice eps for my telescope. Who knows. I just hate to see a pretty, even though it is a bit beat-up, binocular, like this, go by the wayside.

Anyway, with your list, I should be able to narrow things down a bit. At least, I hope I can. The combo of your list, and my narrow miss, give me some optimism.

Nicolas Crista will be my next call, if I cannot find parts myself. I would be happy to send it to him, but I hate to spend the money if I can keep from it. I spent $50 on it already, so not sure what my limit should be. I am sort of dying to get it back together and enjoy the views through it. So, I might just have to spend the money, and suffer the consequences of my heavy-handedness. LOL.

Attachments

• 20190329_033857.jpg
    20190329_033857.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190330_192002.jpg
    20190330_192002.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190330_192302.jpg
    20190330_192302.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200221_051216.jpg
    20200221_051216.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 33
Joker,
The Sport King may be a top end binocular, so I'd be careful with that.

B.

Thanks. I think it is. I was torn on using it for parts, but the broken arm pushed me to attempt it. It's a moot point, I guess.

Maybe BOTH will get sent to Mr. Crista.

It is a configuration that, in my limited experience, seems to be a little unique. The arm, as alluded to above, allows a sleeve to thread into it, which creates the diopter adjustment. Because, the ep sits in the sleeve, the knurled diopter "knob" then fits over the ep and has set-screws that are tightened onto the sleeve. So, the ep sort of floats, it seems, in the sleeve.

Sounds like a common configuration to me. How were you trying to free the frozen parts - a pair of strap wrenches, after soaking in penetrating oil? It looks like there is a crack in the "threaded sleeve" which I refer to as the helical. If you can free them, you may be able to fix the crack with epoxy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back