• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

350d bigma (1 Viewer)

mad

ok here we go ive got 16day to test this lens today was the first
went down to the local fen only thing to take was robins at about 50ft
tryed all differant setting mainly trying to keep to f8-f11 this was the best
it is 100% crop from the original there was quit a lot of sky so i do not now
if im close anoth + i had it on iso 400 forgot to change it.

i done a lot of reaserch on this lens and seeing some of the images if good quality. so do i need more practice ? is it a duff? how close do u need to get for small subjects? or am i thinking the lens will do to much.

any help will be great help.
many thanks
mad
robin3.jpg

50ft is a bit far for a Robin. I have a Bigma and I'm just getting the hang of it. I'm afraid the formula for good results is simple when you think about it. You need to be as close as poss with as good light as poss with a low ISO setting, a sturdy tripod and a high pixel count. When I get all those right I've had some very pleasing pics.

Looks good going from that distance, no lens problem as far as I can see. For serious print use, I'd not really attempt a bird of this size from 50ft, even with 12mp + 600mm + 1.4x teleconverter. You need to be thinking about getting the distance down below 20ft for a nice sized subject in the final image... for web use and very small prints you can get away with murder though ;)

Everything is working fine, just need to overcome the bird photographer's main hurdle... getting close to the blighters.

Cheers,
Andy

cheers guys will get some more pics up done a 3 hr test shoot in the fiel d on sat
at first i fought i had a bad coppy as u here this all the time 2 pic butter fly/ bird between 15ft 20ft the third in my yard 20ft 3 diff shutter speeds i thinks the lens is ok keeping it at f8.wot do u think.
many thanks
mad

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back