• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this an Indian pond heron? (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

I took this photo in Singapore over last week end, Is this an Indian pond heron? Thanks a lot in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 80
I took this photo in Singapore over last week end, Is this an Indian pond heron? Thanks a lot in advance

Hello wuwu1277

For me the Indian, Javan and Chinese looks exactly the same in noon breeding. And I can only identify them (And this is very uncertain) when I have been there during the breeding when they are easy to identify. Should be the same (And this is very uncertain) during breeding and noon breeding season.

If it is an area with the different pond herons present, well, then it is impossible. Unless some expert

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

I think it's a good I. P. Heron.
I had already studied the question and found, by comparison of images, that the small oblique dark lane at the level of the "lores" was typical of this species.
Jean

This would be a rare bird in Singapore - there are only a handful of records - and the few that have been identified there have been in breeding plumage except one, as far as I can see. If you ask me, it doesn't really have the heavy rope-like streaks on the side of the neck of IPH. Chinese seems to be the most likely here.

Hi, All experts: The above is really informative. Thank all of you! I myself give up to learn the difference in between an IPH and CPH...hehe...

As Aladdin said, it is virtually impossible to identify pond herons in nonbreeding plumage (except by range)

Seth, range doesn't help here in SG. Chinese, Javan and Indian are all possible but probabilities greatly decreasing in the order given with Indian an extremely rare vagrant.

As such birds cannot be safely id'd until last few weeks before they migrate back north and start adopting their breeding plumage.

Seth, range doesn't help here in SG. Chinese, Javan and Indian are all possible but probabilities greatly decreasing in the order given with Indian an extremely rare vagrant.

As such birds cannot be safely id'd until last few weeks before they migrate back north and start adopting their breeding plumage.

Yes, I knew range doesn't really help here, I was just mentioning that in general... :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back