• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania, Grumeti Hills (1 Viewer)

julienl

Hey all,

Birds seen in Grumeti Hills (north Serengeti) on the 20/08/19.

1) Rock Loving Cisticola ?

2) Martin sp ?

3) Square Tailed Nightjar ?

4) White Headed or Speckled Mousebird ? I know White Headed is supposed to havepale bill but this heavy black mask is throwing me off

5) Bearded Woodpecker ?

Attachments

• IMG_9215.jpg
    IMG_9215.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9250.jpg
    IMG_9250.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9270.jpg
    IMG_9270.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9314.jpg
    IMG_9314.jpg
    904.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9323.jpg
    IMG_9323.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 34
Oh yeah 4) is Bare Faced Go Away Bird, so obvious...I don't know why I was looking at Mousebirds.

For 2), in my field guide it correponds to Rock Martin (hirundo fuligula) ? (I have the Helm Field Guide Birds of East Africa)

Oh yeah 4) is Bare Faced Go Away Bird, so obvious...I don't know why I was looking at Mousebirds.

For 2), in my field guide it correponds to Rock Martin (hirundo fuligula) ? (I have the Helm Field Guide Birds of East Africa)

Yes, it was split by HBW Alive / Birdlife International, hence my link to the source of information :) . The split matches what I see in the field (Southern African species, called Large Rock Martin, is clearly different).

How can you rull out Square Tailed Nightjar?

Excuse me for interrupting this thread.

Last May, I went to western Kenya and a guide showed us a Slender-tailed Nightjar. I mentioned that I had seen one at Amboseli years ago, and he said that Square-tailed Nightjar was more likely at Amboseli.

'Birds of East Africa' seems to show both as possible in Amboseli.

Can anyone tell me if the attached from Amboseli (I have only this one photo) is Slender-tailed or Square-tailed or is it impossible to say?

This bird was on my first trip (indeed almost the first day) to Africa, and I had barely started birding in my own country. I think I asked for help on BF and Slender-tailed was the result. But maybe it was an error.

These birds seemed to rest on the ground behind the lodge kitchens in the daytime (I disturbed a few, but this was the only shot I got), and to hawk in the lights from the kitchen at night.

Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• 081229240 Amboseli.jpg
    081229240 Amboseli.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 31
This is the only pic I have. The bird was seen within the Grumeti Hills Resort (https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Hotel_Re...ws-Grumeti_Hills-Serengeti_National_Park.html) which is located on a kind of rocky hill surrounded by plains.

Ok. I was a little concerned as to whether Tiny cisticola could be rule out with this pic...but the bill looks a bit too thick.
I guess the location and habitat also favours Rock-loving cisticola: too far West for Tiny and the pics of the lodge seemingly don’t show the typical Tiny habitat.
With a little bit of experience the 2 species are not confusable in the field: Tiny is short tailed and lives exposed in the open, Rock-loving is log tailed and creeps around in the grass.

The general appearance of the bird gave me the impression of a bigger bird. That's I didn't even consier Tiny Cisticola But I might be wrong.

Any guess on the nightjar ?

How can you rull out Square Tailed Nightjar ?

Julien, your bird is a female Slender-tailed Nightjar. If you look carefully, the tail tip is not square-tailed butthe central feathers are slightly longer, giving a rounded effect, typical of female, sex being confirmed by lack of white edging on tail and buff (not white) drawing on upperparts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back