• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mouse ID, Germany (1 Viewer)

pandachris

I was silly enough to start a "Mammals List" and I've just remembered that we saw this somewhere not far from Heidelberg on New Years Day. I have no suitable reference work for European Mammals. Can anyone put an English name to it? Or even a scientific or German Name? I'm not expecting that it is anything unusual but there aren't many positively identified mice on my list.

http://avengerpenguins.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=18619

I've half an idea its a Bank Vole, I'm sure its not an Apodemus sp anyway. Unfortunately i don't know off the top of my head what all the options might be in Germany.

If you're going to do European mammals you could do worse than investing in the Collins Field Guide (NOT the photoguide). I'll have a butchers at mine over the weekend.

John

Now, funny thing, your new picture has a very short tail, rather furry small ears and a distinctly un-cute sort of roman nose. The last may not really be a feature but not every useful field feature is in a guide and it just looks different to Bank Voles to me.

Additionally the feet are pinkish and Bank Vole feet usually look whitish.

I think it is a Field Vole (Short-tailed Vole) which I should think is more likely in the distinctly bare landscape of Cape Wrath - you do get around, don't you!

I checked the Collins Guide over the weekend and still think the German animal is a Bank Vole.

John

Interesting, John

We try to get about a bit, yes. We don't have a decent field guide to British/European mammals, though.

I've a feeling that I did a bit of research on Cape Wrath voles and that Bank Vole seemed likely at the time, but as you point out, it does have a very short tail. Didn't get time to look for out 'mouse' pics last night but I suspect that you're right.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back