• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Bolivia (8 Viewers)

I really like the look of the plates but i think the maps could be a bit confusing - I spent a month in Bolivia and I'm struggling to work out what part of the country some of those maps are showing.

I now have a copy, which Sebastian Herzog sent me via a colleague who was travelling to Europe. It is indeed a fine guide, and I'm looking forward to being able to use it in the field ... immediate quick thoughts are to observe that the style of the plates is rather variable, that some of the maps showing just part of Bolivia are hard to place in the whole country - labelling of the departments would have helped in these cases -, good to see Bolivian altitudinal ranges given. But these are quibbles - the perfect guide doesn't exist, this one is close enough for me!

If anyone needs a copy urgently, I'd suggest contacting Sebastian directly, and I'm sure he'll do what he can. It is clearly a problem not being plugged directly into publishers' distribution networks, but that is the way it is going to be for works not published in the EU/North America etc.

Keith

I now have a copy, which Sebastian Herzog sent me via a colleague who was travelling to Europe. It is indeed a fine guide, and I'm looking forward to being able to use it in the field ... immediate quick thoughts are to observe that the style of the plates is rather variable, that some of the maps showing just part of Bolivia are hard to place in the whole country - labelling of the departments would have helped in these cases -, good to see Bolivian altitudinal ranges given. But these are quibbles - the perfect guide doesn't exist, this one is close enough for me!

If anyone needs a copy urgently, I'd suggest contacting Sebastian directly, and I'm sure he'll do what he can. It is clearly a problem not being plugged directly into publishers' distribution networks, but that is the way it is going to be for works not published in the EU/North America etc.

Keith

After several unanswered e-mails I have now given up.

Edit.. Following the post by Aegitholos, I had the idea that they may be able to post one to Costa Rica where I'll be for a month soon. I've maile SH and await a reply, if this proves successfull I'll post as such but it also depends on La Selva agreeing to accept on my behalf.

A

Last edited:
I gather the current plan is a second printing in UK for distribution to NHBS etc. And for a Spanish language printing, in Bolivia I assume, next month.

Keith

I gather the current plan is a second printing in UK for distribution to NHBS etc. And for a Spanish language printing, in Bolivia I assume, next month.

Keith
From the horses mouth in response to my e-mail.

'Hi Andy,

apologies for the late response. We got lot's of requests from abroad,
and it was a bit overwhelming. We managed to send some copies with
people traveling, but that's just a drop in the bucket, of course. We
have looked into exporting a bulk shipment, but it turns out that
getting books out of the country is too expensive either way. So we are
planning on doing a second print run in February/March in Europe to sell
it directly to international distributors such as NHBS.

Postage to Costa Rica is US$39. Still expensive.

All the best,

Sebastian

Andy

From the horses mouth in response to my e-mail.

'Hi Andy,

apologies for the late response. We got lot's of requests from abroad,
and it was a bit overwhelming. We managed to send some copies with
people traveling, but that's just a drop in the bucket, of course. We
have looked into exporting a bulk shipment, but it turns out that
getting books out of the country is too expensive either way. So we are
planning on doing a second print run in February/March in Europe to sell
it directly to international distributors such as NHBS.

Postage to Costa Rica is US$39. Still expensive.

All the best,

Sebastian

Andy

Everything is relative I guess. I usually end up paying way beyond that for postage when buying books from Europe or the USA. As such it seems odd to me that they keep bringing up the cost of postage as that is surely up to the buyer?

I have placed an pre-order with Buteo Books as they have secured a bulk shipment which they expect in late February/early March (given the state of things I very much doubt any of the bookshops here in Australia will ever get this book in stock).
http://www.buteobooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BBBAO&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14746

Last edited:
It's split by the IOC as well, Western Striolated Puffbird.

It was split over a year ago by the IOC and given that the AOU is supposed to be adopting this taxonomy, maybe that's why they did it?

One of the reasons I won't bother with the HBW editions is that they seem to be adopting an almost hybrid taxonomy.

Their website states

The HBW and BirdLife International Checklist of the Birds of the World is the first ever taxonomic checklist to be compiled using the same criteria applied consistently by the same experts

It seems to me that we have witnessed the birth of yet another taxonomic idealogy with 628 splits, some sceptics may think this a clever sales tactic? I don't doubt that this is a superb work, just don't think I need it, I follow the IOC, listing just got even more complicated.

A

Last edited:
It's split by the IOC as well, Western Striolated Puffbird.

It was split over a year ago by the IOC and given that the AOU is supposed to be adopting this taxonomy, maybe that's why they did it?

One of the reasons I won't bother with the HBW editions is that they seem to be adopting an almost hybrid taxonomy.

Their website states

The HBW and BirdLife International Checklist of the Birds of the World is the first ever taxonomic checklist to be compiled using the same criteria applied consistently by the same experts

It seems to me that we have witnessed the birth of yet another taxonomic idealogy with 628 splits, some sceptics may think this a clever sales tactic? I don't doubt that this is a superb work, just don't think I need it, I follow the IOC, listing just got even more complicated.

A

AOU's SACC has recognized this species: http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCprop679.htm

It is BOU that is moving to IOC, not AOU (at least at this time).

(And I should remember writing AOS instead of AOU)

Niels

I have it. it's up to standard. I wanted to write a review for Dutch birding, but I guess they did' reply because they are all envious that I have a copy :)

long story short: through a friend living in Peru, his parents took it to Europe.
So I fear (if there was any hope at the moment) that it's a one-off, and most people will have to wait and see if NHBS / Buteo come up with a container or a second print.

I wrote a review (link below).

I warn you it's not very profound and not very thorough... It's meant to wet your appetite, rather than provide a very exhaustive review...
I hope you find it quirky ;)

https://www.dutchbirding.nl/recensies/1414/birds_of_bolivia_field_guide

Thanks Temmie, love your review. To me, it contains all I want to know before deciding whether or not to get a book. Now if only the book will become available here. I have no immediate travel plans though. But my appetite has definitely been wetted. :-O

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back