• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id from this? Near West Yorks/Lancs (UK) boundary (1 Viewer)

Jeffk

I found this on top of a fence post not far onto the moor from the top of a deciduously wooded clough, which included rowans in fruit, near the West Yorks/Lancs boundary (near Todmorden).

It looks like it's mostly fragments of rowan berries plus what are probably insect fragments.

I'm not sure if it's pellets or scat, but I'm pretty sure it is from a bird as it's on top of the post

Any thoughts on the species & which end it's from?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 37
I think this might be a pellet from an omnivorous bird, possibly a corvid - carrion crow or magpie. Pretty sure its not faecal. I'm really interested to hear what others think.

All the best with your scatological investigations.

Steve

There weren't any rosehips nearby that I could see, but there were rowans, so that seems more likely.

Were you thinking that rosehips it would indicate a different bird species then if it's rowan berries?

Rose hips are too large for some birds to swallow - I know Waxwings struggle with them, so anything smaller probably couldn't manage them. But agree, these look more like rowan berry skins than rose hip skins.

Rose hips are too large for some birds to swallow - I know Waxwings struggle with them, so anything smaller probably couldn't manage them. But agree, these look more like rowan berry skins than rose hip skins.

Greenfinches certainly manage them- very partial to Rosa rugosa in particular!:t:

As kids we used to dry out rose hips and use them as itching powder. Misspent youth. :-C

Any thoughts what bird this may be? I was using the hand in the photo for scale, hence corvid.

I'm not at all sure a bird did this.

Mustelids will deposit scats at prominent points and they eat berries seasonally I believe?

You've got a good point Andy. I couldn't see any other features typical of mustelid scat, such as bones or hair or black sticky matter, but if the animal ate a glut of berries the Scat would reflect this. I just don't know enough about mammals to be sure either way.

Birds generally open Rosehips eat the seeds but also some of the flesh, though out and about yesterday came across something identical, Rowan Berries that a corvid had eaten.

For some reason I've not had any notifications about posts in this thread after the first couple of replies to my original post....it's great to see that people are still responding!

I'm not at all sure a bird did this.
Mustelids will deposit scats at prominent points and they eat berries seasonally I believe?

I was having similar thoughts, but wasn't sure enough to say so :t:

As I initially said, I'm fairly confident it's from a bird as all the samples I found were on top of fence posts about a metre from the ground, so it seems unlikely that it's a mammal....

(a) why would they climb on to the top of a fence post? &

(b) even if one did, it would have to be a small-ish animal to perch there & the 'samples' look too big for the small mustelids

Please tell me if my reasoning there is incorrect, & why...I'm keen to learn!

I'm interested to read peoples' thoughts on what different bird species it could be. Judging by the size of the pellets compared to the medium sized female hand my guess would be a larger bird. I had originally thought of kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) as there are a couple in the area but do they eat berries? I’ve seen no mention anywhere of them being omnivores.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back