• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately from a recording point of view the Great broad straddles four 1Km squares.

Yep, and what is worse, four seperate tetrads! If you are walking around the broad, the significant points are the boathouse on the western shore, and the bird hide on the northern edge. Goinmg anti-clockwise: Everything from the boat house, round past the teashop and up to the point opposite the bird hide is TG2507 (TG20N), From there to the point on the eastern shore opposite the boat house is TG2607 (TG20T), then TG2608 (TG20U)to the hide, and from there back to the boat house is TG2508 (TG20P)

hide
v
P U
boat =
house N T

Ideally, records from a walk round the broad should come as four seperate lists. Any records I get that just say whitlingham broad have to go down as just TG20 - whihc mean they show up on a national level, but don't add a dot to the county atlas - the same is true incidently of any other county atlas ( although those grebes last winter covered the whole broad at one stage or another - which potentially means a single slavonian could create four tetrad records in a morning! I'm not sure how the bird atlas deals with that problem)

So if you see a camberwell or a silver-washed on whitlingham broad, it would be really useful if you note if you are north or south of the boat house, and east or west of the hide. (of course now someone will see a camberwell sitting on the bird hide just to make life difficult!)

And just so this isn't entirely devoid of butterfly news, two purple emperors across the border at Theberton Wood in Sussex this morning, with single silver-washed and white admiral.

Yep, and what is worse, four seperate tetrads! If you are walking around the broad, the significant points are the boathouse on the western shore, and the bird hide on the northern edge. Goinmg anti-clockwise: Everything from the boat house, round past the teashop and up to the point opposite the bird hide is TG2507 (TG20N), From there to the point on the eastern shore opposite the boat house is TG2607 (TG20T), then TG2608 (TG20U)to the hide, and from there back to the boat house is TG2508 (TG20P)

Thanks, that breakdown is useful. I did walk anti-clockwise, and recorded numbers in my notebook (i.e. 12+4+9 etc etc) so I may well be able to separate them out into tetrad records. I will also keep those boundaries in mind for future records.

A couple of days and Norfolk is living up to expectations!
A few hours at strumpshaw yesterday gave me Ringlet (on the road on the way), dozens of Red Admirals, Meadow Browns, Small White, Green-veined White, Comma and Peacock. I spoke to a man who said he'd seen 2 Swallowtails yesterday so perhaps there are a couple still around. Maybe i'll be lucky in the next couple of days and also catch White Admiral.
Today in and around Brundall with very little effort, more Red Admiral, Meadow Brown, Small White, Large White, a Brimstone fluttered past me in the street, one Small Tortoiseshell and an Essex Skipper unexpectedly appeared as I was watching grasshoppers. A nice surprise!
Looks like good weather tomorrow so hopefully find more.

Today at Hickling

Had a very enjoyable day at Hickling NWT today with highlight being adult Swallowtail flyover and three caterpillers. Also Red Admiral, Sml Tortoiseshell, Ringlet, Meadow brown, Speckled Wood, Gatekeeper, Large and Small Whites, Comma, Peacock (and two avian examples) three unidentified skippers and possibly g v white.

Attachments

• swallowtail dad's hair 009.jpg
    swallowtail dad's hair 009.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Wacton Common yesterday produced an Essex Skipper, 25 Ringlets, 16 Meadow Browns, Red Admiral, two Common Blues, six Gatekeepers, five Small Whites and one each of Green-veined and Small Tortoiseshell.

Following last summers influx of silver washed fritillaries , some of which came very close to the NNR I have been looking closely at every large orange butterfly I have seen. Of course most have been commas , but today I was rewarded with a pristine silver washed fritillary in Swanton Novers woods , feeding on brambles within 10 feet of me

Just found this on my bedroom wall, thoughts? Probably something common but I know so little about moths!

Attachments

• P1010400.jpg
    P1010400.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 103
Big Butterfly Count

I would urge all to participate in:

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/article/9/249/did_our_butterflies_feel_the_heat_.html

It is not quite what it says 'on the tin': it includes both smaller butterflies and, unexpectedly, moths !

The Small Heaths at Gramboro', for instance, are markedly down in numbers from last year. Where there were hundreds, are now single figures.

Last weekend, as others have noted, saw more Red Admirals and a few, new Peacocks along the coast.

Buckenham Marshes

Lots of lovely stuff enjoying today's sun betrween Buckenham & Strumpshaw: loads of dragonflies and Butterflies: A Norfolk Hawker, a Purple Hairstreak and a somewhat faded White Admiral being the most interesting.

Attachments

• Norfolk Hawker.jpg
    Norfolk Hawker.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Purple Hairstreak.jpg
    Purple Hairstreak.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 78
  • White Admiral.jpg
    White Admiral.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 76
Speaking to some people who saw swallowtails at strumpshaw last week, it seems the most recent ones are pristine and so probably the beginning of the second brood. Unfortunately I missed them... But found 4 caterpillars whilst waiting for the sun to come out on my last 2 days (it never did) - which made up for it a little!

Attachments

• swallowtail cat bf.jpg
    swallowtail cat bf.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 87
Surlingham Church Marsh this morning. My first Gatekeepers of the year (2), along with Comma, Small White and Red Admiral.
Cantley Beet factory by the river, and almost every Butterfly was a Red Admiral, I would say I counted even more than last week.
Cheers,
Jim.

I have received today an email from a family who were on holiday in Norfolk. At TF 895 453 (just east of lady annes road, they saw a Purple Emperor. This was on sunday 10th. Their description is convincing, they saw it landed on bramble, and they are familiar with both white admiral and purple hairstreak.

So either someone emptied a cardboard box up in north east norfolk, or they blew in with the silver-washed.

A rather faded Lady

Was a pleasant surprise at an otherwise rather butterfly-light, western track at Warham Greens. The RH photo is the right way up- in other words, down !

(I heard that another Painted Lady was seen at Holkham today.)

A Red Admiral was definitely not tatty, although a presumably 2nd brood Holly Blue was.

A move, eastwards along the coast, resulted in a drenching at Stiffkey Fen.

That is a tad sickening about the Emperor.

Attachments

• 149psesmsmsm.jpg
    149psesmsmsm.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 142psesmsmsm.jpg
    142psesmsmsm.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 034psesmsm.jpg
    034psesmsm.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 156psesmsmsm.jpg
    156psesmsmsm.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Another Silver-washed reported from garden between Holt and Glandford today.
Someone apparently has a photo of a female SWF ovipositing in Norfolk - but I'm yet to see it.

Dad , any ideas as to the origins of these SW Frittilaries. I know we had an influx from Suffolk last year , could these be offspring from those frits or is this a second influx , or release ?

Hummingbird Hawk-moths know making regular appearances around the visitor centre at Holme. Not seen any up by the pay hut yet this year though the soapwort has only just started flowering…

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back