• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spain road trip - second half of June (1 Viewer)

3Italianbirders

Supporter
Italy
We are going to Spain for roughly 2-3 weeks leaving on June 11. We are taking a ferry to Barcelona for the outward journey and then driving back the long way. We arrive in Barcelona in the evening of June 12. We are aware that this is not the best time to visit but we have to stick to school holidays, which in Italy start on June 10.

We have a few places where we definitely want to go and loads of others that we would like, but won’t have the time for everything. The rough plan is to spend the first half of the trip in Extremadura and the second in the Pyrenees, but there will be stopovers and day trips, one of them to the Sierra de Gredos for Bluethroat.

We already have two guidebooks, the Gosney’s for Extremadura and the third edition of “where to watch birds in Northern and Eastern Spain”, but we still have some questions:

1) Ideally one of the stopovers could be for Dupont’s Lark (well, at least trying for it |;|) at either Belchite or Hoces del Duratón, the latter more inviting as location and variety of species. This would need to be at the start of the trip as the end of June would probably be too late. Is it best to try at Belchite or at the Hoces del Duratón? We had thought that we could stop at one of the two places on our way from Barcelona to Extremadura, spending one night there in order to be up at dawn for DL. But we have friends in Madrid (not birders but general nature enthusiasts) who told us that this would mean a major detour as all the motorways go via Madrid and we would need to take the backroads to get to either place. TBH this doesn’t pose much of a problem for us as long as the backroads aren’t very busy (Google maps puts the driving time as being, but from my experience of Spain, albeit some 20 years ago, the roads there are seldom too busy.

To sum up: is it worth trying for DL in mid-June or is it already too late? if yes where is it best? if not we’ll just drive to Extremadura, which brings me to the second question below.

2) Driving from Barcelona to Extremadura, and taking into consideration the above, what is the best route to take? Our friends suggested going south to the Ebro delta and then driving inland via Morella or Albarracín, with a stopover in Cuenca. Ideas?

3) Best place for Black Wheatear? Mallos de Riglos? Hoces del Duratón? Anywhere in Extremadura?

4) Are the coastal wetlands (Ebro delta, Aiguamolls, Albufera) any good in mid-June? Gull and tern colonies very welcome, but not sure if they are worth the trip if there isn’t much else to be seen.

5) best place(s) for Citril Finch? We are planning to visit both the Ordesa NP and the Hecho valley.

6) As above for Black Woodpecker?

7) Any chances of typical southern species as Marbled and White-headed Ducks and Rufous-tailed Scrub-robin outside of Andalucia?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cristiana and family

The Gabardito area in the Hecho Valley should have Citril Finch. High scrubby areas like Roncal should also be good for them. The Ebro Delta should be good in June, at least for breeding birds. It depends what you want to see though.

Thank you Andrew. We are hoping that the Citril Finches won't be too difficult. As far as the coastal wetlands are concerned we are probably going to scrap them as we won't have enough time.

I can second the area around the Refugio de Gabardito as good for Citril Finch, the cliff face about half a mile past the refugio has had Wallcreeper in the past. Didn't get Black Wheatear at Riglos last time I was there but there was lot's of disturbance with hundreds (well dozens anyway) of climbers scaling the rock faces, having picnics and just generally being noisy. Didn't stay long! San Juan de la Pena was good for Black Woodpecker with a pair nesting in the car park when we were there a few years back. Duraton was much better in my experience for Dupont's than Belchite although have seen them at both sites. As for Black Wheatear in Extremadura, have seen them there in the past but am off to Monfrague and associated areas tomorrow so will let you know if we see any.

HTH

Nick

Thank you Nick. When you say the car park at San Juan de la Peña do you mean the old monastery or the new one? It appears (looking at the "where to watch..." book) that there'e two monasteries and two car parks! :eek!:

Thank you Nick. When you say the car park at San Juan de la Peña do you mean the old monastery or the new one? It appears (looking at the "where to watch..." book) that there'e two monasteries and two car parks! :eek!:

The new one, which has plenty of pines around the parking area. The old monastery is set into a cliff if I remember rightly!

Just got back from Extremadura and no help on the Black Wheatear front I'm afraid. Birding in the area was extremely curtailed by massive thunderstorms and a day of incredibly thick fog/mist in Monfrague which ruined our planned itinerary, leaving no time for Black Wheatear I'm afraid.

Nick

Thank you, Nick. Some friends of ours also just got back from Extremadura and they weren't totally happy with how things went - they apparently dipped on several species. Let's hope for better weather in June!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back