• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Butterflies and Moths do you get? (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
There sems to be quite an interest in Butterflies and Moths on the BirdForum, but it almost all seems to stem from the UK.

I'm not at all experinced in iding Lepidoptera, but I have a couple of books and recognise some of the easy species.

Also, I remember seeing pictures of tropical butterflies when younger, specifically Birdwings, but apart from that I wouldn't know how widespread Butterfly and Moth species are.

I know of only one US Butterfly - the Monarch - which I understand is a prodigious flyer and migratory, and just occasionally finds itself in these islands.

Anyone (from anywhere in the world) got any more examples (and photos)???

Wow , what a question! I also belong to another birding forum and we birders over there are talking about butterflies and skippers, moths, and dragon/damsel flies as much as we are birds !! I do love the butterflies Michael, and enjoy photographing them as much as the birds lately. I have had so many in my yard I can't count them all - way too many. They love the flowers I have put out for them. And my life list of butterflies is way too long to list here. My website is not completed, but I do have a friend that has wonderful photos to look at and her site is great . I'll just send you to her site if you don't mind. She gets about 90% of the same butterflies and bugs as I do.

http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/mamabird/butterflys1.html

At the end of her pages, is a link to go to her birds and to her backyard wildlife habitat - you may want to take a look there too - really wonderful photos ! Have fun, I hope you enjoy your time there on her site.

What a fantastic little site...

Thanks Shell!

(BTW, my "signature" obviously confused you, but that's 'cos it was unclear - and I shall modify it forthwith. Would that I had a fraction of the talent of Mr. Stipe!)

Oh-oh ! So sorry - and I think I knew that too! LOL ! No need to change it for my moment of insanity -haha. I'm so glad you liked her site , I'll sure be sure to tell her. Hope you found some cool looking butterflies and moths :)

One from home for you Birdman. The Spectacle.

Attachments

• dark spectacle.jpg
    dark spectacle.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 263
Hi there Birdman, Some interesting links above there.

I like seeing the butterflies about, it helps to make summer what it is. Although in fairness when it comes to putting id's to them my partner Rebecca is far better than me.

I was going to put up our list from so far this year, but couldn't make up my mind which forum to put it in - this one now seems tailor-made !

So far this year around the Yare valley area

Small White
Large White
Green-Veined White
Orange Tip
Brimstone
Small Tortoiseshell
Red Admiral
Comma
Painted Lady
White Admiral
Peacock
Swallowtail
Gatekeeper
Small Heath
Small Copper
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Grayling
Holly Blue
Common Blue
Small Skipper
Essex Skipper

and moths : ( neither of us know much about moths ! )

6 Spot Burnet
Cinnabar

As for the photo's ... that'll have to wait til I've perfected this photography thing a little bit more !!!

but in the meantime these are 2 pretty good UK websites :

http://www.butterfly-guide.co.uk/

http://butterfly-conservation.org/

I found this little thing in the grass yesterday and presume it is some kind of Tiger Moth but as you can see it is very, very tiny and I can't find anything which resembles it in any of my books. Sorry they are such bad pictures, it was blowing half a gale. If anyone could identify it I'd be very grateful. Thanks, in hopes of being able to upload them.....

Attachments

• tigers 003.jpg
    tigers 003.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 178
  • tigers 005.jpg
    tigers 005.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 170
Paminfra said:
I found this little thing in the grass yesterday and presume it is some kind of Tiger Moth but as you can see it is very, very tiny and I can't find anything which resembles it in any of my books. Sorry they are such bad pictures, it was blowing half a gale. If anyone could identify it I'd be very grateful. Thanks, in hopes of being able to upload them.....

Hi Pam this looks like the leftovers (one hind wing) from some birds butterfly snack.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back