• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuthatch ID please (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
I know these are awful shots of the nuthatch I saw this morning but they might help.They are the biggest nuthatch I have ever seen(kingfisher size) huge bill and head,a very wide black eye stipe and rufous flank and vent,so I thought Eastern Rock ~but I think that I am too far west here in Alacati, also they were only 300m above sea level and the sea is about 1km from where I saw them.Any help would be appreciated.
Apologise again for the quality of the pictures(100m away in a strong wind)

Attachments

• DSCN0341.JPG
    DSCN0341.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN0343.JPG
    DSCN0343.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 154
Tricky. Seems quite rusty on vent, which is pro Eastern, but the black supercillium is quite narrow behind the eye, which is pro Western. I guess if you're used to seeing Western and these seemed noticeably bigger then that's also an important factor.

Hi Bob

Eastern only occur to just west of Gaziantep (Isikli and Yesilce are the regualr sites)

The id is far from as easy as people often think due to large degree of ariation in size and features etc. Where they occur together the voice is best distinguisher, altohugh they do differ due to 'character displacement'.

They are usually in rocky valleys and gorges etc and have a liking for areas with pistachio and almond (such as G'antep)

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Bob

Eastern only occur to just west of Gaziantep (Isikli and Yesilce are the regualr sites)

The id is far from as easy as people often think due to large degree of ariation in size and features etc. Where they occur together the voice is best distinguisher, altohugh they do differ due to 'character displacement'.

They are usually in rocky valleys and gorges etc and have a liking for areas with pistachio and almond (such as G'antep)

Tim
I thought I was too far west Tim ,although they were on a rocky valley with some almond trees.

Hi Bob,
We seem to be seeing a lot of the same birds these days. I saw quite a few Rock Nuthatches on my recent inland trips, but I haven't seen (or heard) any here in Marmaris. Some in Ilhara Valley and lots in the Hieropolis necropolis. I was thinking they might be Easterns because I was inland, but if they don't come farther west than Gaziantep, I guess not. (One more month and I get my Collins guide, can't wait; of course then I'll be in California 3:) ) I just saw a Chaffinch today. Lifer for me. A chaffinch?--dozens and dozens! They've taken over the forest.
Here's an Ilhara Valley bird.
Suzanne

Attachments

• Ilhara Valley enh.jpg
    Ilhara Valley enh.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 93
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back