• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

Perfect - the speech bubble would fit the space just right!
The white 'rocks' will become sheep at some point in the very near future (although they'll probably still look like rocks).
Cheers.

Looking good, Tim! I think my only potential nit would be the circular arrangement of the painting's subjects around a central point, with nothing to occupy the space they frame. Perhaps moving the upper right bird closer to the left, or send it further off into the distance, to follow the direction that the horizon and the stone wall leads?

Jo beat me to it Tim! Thats similar to what I was thinking.

Loved the study of the razor bill but not the circumstance it lost its
life. But yours is just another record of how we misstreat this planet:C
of ours on a monumental scale! At least you recording him, his death
was not wasted.

Regarding the composition I'm trusting your artistic instinct Tim!
What should I say about your "dead" birds series?
Start making thoughts about a "Measured bird drawings" publication a la' Tim Wootton!
Can't wait to see what's next!

Paschalis

Have been roving the country for the past couple of weeks on various errands for darling wife - all totally fruitless, except being able to catch up with a couple of tits! Whilst drawing great and blue sally phoned me from home to say Paul (Higson) was phoning out on the Orkney Rare Bird Line and wanted me to know of a coal tit in the Isles. At that same point, a little mixed group of blue and a couple of coals passed through the bit of scrub I was watching. Curious our hobby, isn't it.
Also a skull sketch from specimens I bumped into at Aberdeen University - part of the tour south (perhaps give you some idea what I've been working on recently).

Attachments

• tits.jpg
    tits.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 67
  • treecreep.jpg
    treecreep.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 65
  • goldies.jpg
    goldies.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 67
  • pufskul.jpg
    pufskul.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 66
Also I was supposed to be catching the Friday night overnight boat to Aberdeen to collect yet another item for darling wife - but the weather up here (as elsewhere, I understand) is pretty sh*tty - today we have a gentle blow of 50 mph with gusts over 60 so I thought it would be nice to pop out and watch the gannets before they disappear. Wow! I see them all the time (even from the kitchen and lounge at home) but they really are spectacular birds, particularly when faced with serious weather, I secreted myself into a corner of one of the WWII gun emplacements as a hide and scratched out a couple of sheets of drawings. I made a quick watercolour from the field drawing on my return. Neither of which really suggest the weather, but I think there's enough to work from at a later date.

Attachments

• gan2.jpg
    gan2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 73
  • gan1.jpg
    gan1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 83
  • sea1.jpg
    sea1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 78
  • sea2.jpg
    sea2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 95
One more time a very special set of fieldwork sketches reveals the level of freedom
in handling shapes, you've reached Tim!

Paschalis

The weather sketches are superb, the gannets just breathtaking and the treecreep is so sweet it hurts. All rounded off with a tiny Tim, excellent stuff start to finish.

Mike

That's really nice collection of Gannet images-can there be anything brighter whiter looking in the world than a Gannet against a dark sea?

Unusually I’ve made two trips ‘abroad’ this last month – and both have been to pick up campervans! No, we’re not going into the motorhome business, it’s just things didn’t quite pan out as I’d have hoped. But the enforced excursions have allowed me to reassess my travel sketching materials, and it’s amazing at just how little (both in terms of media and scale) it’s necessary to take. I decided that a tiny sketchbook about A6 (6”x4”), cutdown pencil, tiny fieldbox of watercolours and a pair of compact binoculars ought to suffice for most conditions. The set fits easily into a jacket pocket.
I suppose the purpose of taking a tiny kit like this with me has more to do with me ‘needing’ access to drawing media than the desire to create anything meaningful whilst on the road. Regardless, it has meant that I’ve found myself making drawings of the most unlikely things and in unusual circumstances. All of the landscapes are made immediately and take less than 5 seconds to do. The form a narrative more about my own state of consciousness than the physical geomorphology in front of me.

Trip 1 – By boat, rail and car from Orkney to Nottingham, via Aberdeen, Yorkshire and back through East Lothian.

The drawings show scenes from the overnight ferry to Aberdeen, 14th/ 15 th October.

I was collected from Nottingham by the person selling the campervan. We arrived at his house where the van was sitting on the driveway. ‘That’s it’ he said ‘I’ll just get the keys’. Don’t fecking bother’ I replied, ‘I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole’.
What had been described as a van in good condition with one or two minor rust spots was in fact a pile of corroding rubbish and I explained this to the guy using vernacular terms which I’m sure left him in no doubt as to my disappointment. I had made what would end up being a 1200 mile round trip to collect this thing! Not happy.
But my minor irritation was placed firmly into context on the return journey.

These drawings made from the train on the return trip, 15th October.
These tiny sketches were initiated as we ground to an unscheduled halt at 4:30 in the afternoon. We had been stationary for several minutes when the steward informed us the delay was caused by a person being hit by a train at Darlington (accident or suicide, I’m not sure).

Some of the drawings have an element of text which is just as important as the drawn lines. I’ll subtitle where it’s illegible.

edit: The text in the 4th image reads:
The importance of timetables.
We run our lives by them.
We get places by following them.
Did the dead person on the tracks wait for a particular train?
Did they watch the place-names in lights and think - 'I'll get that train'.
A person dead on the tracks,
People alive on the train.
'Selfish bugger' - I'm going to miss my connection.
A person dead.
The tracks are cleared.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 68
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Trip 2 – by boat, coach and train to Greenock (Glasgow) and return via campervan and ferry, 27th 28th October.

This trip had less incident than the fruitless Nottingham visit (lies and deception and a death on the tracks!)

It almost never got started though. The weather was awful and ferry crossings were cancelled – all except the early morning boat at 6:30 from Stromness. I made a dash for this one and, it transpires, was the correct thing to do as all others were then cancelled. Because of the horrendous seas, the ferry was 15 minutes late and this made the connection to Thurso a bit tight. But even as I sprinted down the glazed gantry to my waiting taxi, drama was waiting for me. Fluttering against the glazing was a small black bird. I knew instantly what it was but had to be at the bus terminal in 4 minutes flat. I located my taxi and asked how long to Thurso. Just 5 minutes he said. I chucked my bag in the car and told him to wait. I dashed back into the building and scooped up the bird (I had no idea it would be that easy – most are difficult to catch) and, running past the taxi again (to the driver’s total bewilderment) I arrived at the pierside and released the little bird. It flew away, its bright white rump beacon-like against the grey sea.

I made the bus and every connection subsequently (amazing) and the main event – the campervan – turned out to be a total beauty (for the money) and the trip hailed as a total success.

Drawings are from the bus down and the ferry back.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Adventures to go!

They were a fruitful couple of trips you had.

It seems at one point you were face to face with Jack's giant in the pub and have traveled in some magical landscapes. The simplicity and other world feeling of the triangular tree and the landscape with the sea and the moon speaks volumes to me. Both those would look great in modern frames with a large, clean mounts.

Bird sketches are, as always, a joy.

Glad you're home safe from your enforced wanderings and with a mobile studio into the bargain!

Mike

Hmm - mobile studio, eh? Y'know Mike, that thought NEVER crossed my little mind . . . ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Anyway from the ridiculous to the downright stupid.
Here's an exciting pic of the travel kit!

And here's a painting/drawing I've just had the urge to do. Willow charcoal and white pastel on canvas - 32"x12".

Attachments

• stuff.jpg
    stuff.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 78
  • gannet8.jpg
    gannet8.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
You've got the same little field watercolour kit as me! I don't use mine often enough though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Wow! Andrew Stock look out!

BTW, if anyone is interested, Cass Arts in London are doing those little W+N wc field sets for £4.99 at the moment.

Mike

Tim, interesting trips! I ended up reading the poem first and was a bit confused until I read the story. Sorry to hear you had to go so far only to be deceived. :-(

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back