• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grebe? - San Diego River, Calif. (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

These images are of 2 birds amongst a small flock of Ruddies on San Diego river in May.

Noticeably larger than the ducks, the best I can manage is a grebe, due to the predominantly white face and size, but the lower neck/breast appears dark which I think is inconsistent, so I'm less than confident.

Please could someone help me out?

thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• DSC_7507.jpg
    DSC_7507.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_7507a.jpg
    DSC_7507a.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_7508.jpg
    DSC_7508.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 49
The 'cap' appears to only reach down to the middle of the eye and the lores look white in #1 which would point towards Clark's more than Western.

While it isn't the best pose, I'd go with Western Grebe. There appears to be too much black on the face, and the lower border of the black curves up in front of the peak of the crown, both pointing to Western. And, as Lou says, Western is more likely in San Diego at this time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back