• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ichneumon ID needed (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
I found this insect yesterday in south Hampshire(UK).Is it possible to ID?

Attachments

• 600D_30600.jpg
    600D_30600.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 600D_30599.jpg
    600D_30599.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 17
Rhyssa persuasoria?

Don’t know if there are any similar species in the UK.

Certainly not Rhyssa as no mesocutal ridges or white metasomal spots of persuasoria.
There are many species like this in UK, but most are rather small. This could be Dolichomitus or Paraperithonus or several other genera in the Pimplinae.

Certainly not Rhyssa as no mesocutal ridges or white metasomal spots of persuasoria.
There are many species like this in UK, but most are rather small. This could be Dolichomitus or Paraperithonus or several other genera in the Pimplinae.

Thanks Ficedula

Are they ever identifiable from a photo or do I need to catch one and look for particular features (not that I would know what I was looking for) ?

Thanks Ficedula

Are they ever identifiable from a photo or do I need to catch one and look for particular features (not that I would know what I was looking for) ?

Many are by experts, I'm not so am reluctant to name them without a specimen. If you don't want to take specimens you can pot them, cool in fridge and then photgraph. You often need shots from several angles including wing venation, detail of propodium and face. There is an excellent FB group where a few experts might comment on your photos.

Thanks Ficedula. I've nothing against taking specimens but I'll probably give the refrigeration a go - if I manage to find some more insects.

I have many pots of dragonfly exuviae that need IDing / Cataloging etc. before I start a diptera collection!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back