• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good News! (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

There has been quite a bit of good news with regards to some breeding birds in Britain:-

1. Cattle Egrets have bred in Sussex and Norfolk this year for the first time. In Sussex I believe quite a few pairs bred and they are not too far from where they bred in Hampshire last year. Could be same birds moving or could be a new lot hopefully.

2. 3 pairs of Great White Egrets have bred at Holkham, Norfolk raising 6 young. I knew they bred somewhere in Norfolk in 2017 but thought that was a one off. They are expanding here.

3. Common Cranes breeding in Lincolnshire. The first time in 400 years?

4. Black Winged Stilts breeding at WWT Stear Marshes in Somerset - the most western record ever.

5. Pallid Harrier have bred in France at a place not that far form the English Channel. I know it is not the UK but it is not that far and still an excellent record!

Have I missed anything ?

There has been quite a bit of good news with regards to some breeding birds in Britain:-

Have I missed anything ?

Red-back Shrike in Scotland - pair with nestlings
Marsh Warblers - Foula
Purple Heron nested again at Dungeness (no updates)
Spoonbills also did well this year.

Sign of the warming times.

Last edited:
Apparently Zitting Cisticola have bred at Alderney ?

interesting. always had these down as a possible colonist akin to Cetti's but despite how common they are across the channel it always seemed that that short stretch of water was a bridge (or lack of) too far for them. Obviously as a resident, non migratory species colonisation is less likely than for some others such as stilts, egrets etc.
Will be interesting to see if this is a one off or the start of a trend.

The crossing to Alderney is only about half the width of the Channel at its narrowest, that'll make the crossing significantly easier for them!

....and not forgetting Black-winged Kites having bred for the first time in Belgium this year....just a skip and a jump from Blighty! :eek!:

Are they not similar to Cetti's in the sense they are not really that migratory?

interesting. always had these down as a possible colonist akin to Cetti's but despite how common they are across the channel it always seemed that that short stretch of water was a bridge (or lack of) too far for them. Obviously as a resident, non migratory species colonisation is less likely than for some others such as stilts, egrets etc.

5. Pallid Harrier have bred in France at a place not that far form the English Channel. I know it is not the UK but it is not that far and still an excellent record!

Do you have a link for any info on this? The possibility of Pallid breeding in France was raised in another thread.

I don’t personally have any updates on Dungeness (without phoning people!) - it might well be public info is being suppressed due to Covid and the consequential lack of staff/volunteers to monitor them - the last time I saw breeding PH at Dungeness some years ago, they were having to be closely monitored to prevent disturbance and tracks down to the reed bed were closed.

Paul Longland said:
interesting. always had these down as a possible colonist akin to Cetti's but despite how common they are across the channel it always seemed that that short stretch of water was a bridge (or lack of) too far for them...

They might make it if they don’t try and sing at the same time :-O

Spoonbills breeding successfully in Orkney in 2018? That is a big jump North and possibly the most Northern breeding record ever ?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back