• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lilith or Little Owl? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

I live in Qatar and spotted these beauties at the weekend. I'm fairly sure these are Lilith and not Little Owls, but would appreciate some help,

Thanks

Adam

Attachments

• Owl natural.jpg
    Owl natural.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 93
As far as I'm aware, birds in Qatar should all fall within "Lilith Owl". The paler, sandy features of these birds would also suggest that these birds are Lilith.

Hi everyone,

I live in Qatar and spotted these beauties at the weekend. I'm fairly sure these are Lilith and not Little Owls, but would appreciate some help,

Thanks

Adam

The ID of Athene noctua sspp identity in field guides has relied on morphological and plumage descriptions in many earlier sources. However, Pellegrino et al 2020 found an absence of clear-cut differences between sspp and a huge variation of morphological and colour patterns between individuals collected within any geographical area; no ssp could safely be identified on morphological data. As a consequence, the geographic distributions allotted to most subspecies are now suspect, as are sspp IDs.

Sorting out these uncertainties will require a host of genetic techniques. In the meantime, statements based on current understanding should carry a caveat! Perhaps Irene Pellegrino has further genetic research of this species on her 'to do' list?
MJB
Pellegrino, I, M Cucco, E Calà, G Boano and M Pavia. 2020. Plumage coloration and morphometrics of the Little Owl Athene noctua in the Western Palearctic. J. Orn. pp11 doi.org/10.1007/s10336-020-01792-7 (attached)

Attachments

• GG2020 Pellegrino et al Little Owl plumage variety.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
The ID of Athene noctua sspp identity in field guides has relied on morphological and plumage descriptions in many earlier sources. However, Pellegrino et al 2020 found an absence of clear-cut differences between sspp and a huge variation of morphological and colour patterns between individuals collected within any geographical area; no ssp could safely be identified on morphological data. As a consequence, the geographic distributions allotted to most subspecies are now suspect, as are sspp IDs.

Sorting out these uncertainties will require a host of genetic techniques. In the meantime, statements based on current understanding should carry a caveat! Perhaps Irene Pellegrino has further genetic research of this species on her 'to do' list?
MJB
Pellegrino, I, M Cucco, E Calà, G Boano and M Pavia. 2020. Plumage coloration and morphometrics of the Little Owl Athene noctua in the Western Palearctic. J. Orn. pp11 doi.org/10.1007/s10336-020-01792-7 (attached)
Rather different results to the Sound Approach group who want to split Little Owl into several species!

Rather different results to the Sound Approach group who want to split Little Owl into several species!

Calls are obviously very important in owls and many Scops-owls (Otus sp) are almost solely identifiable on calls. Still ‘Sound Approach’ which I appreciate immensely not always lucky with new Owl species

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back