• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Todays Feast... Gulls, Portugal (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
So these fellas. This is not the same as my other gull but does have some head markings and a darker back - hint of red eyeliner.

the gull in the background has a very small head.... It also has no markings in the wing - is this down to its age. I think its a third winter LBB Gull - Graelisii.

I'm sorry to be a pain but I am fairly new to gulls.

Then the two birds in flight adult and Juv Med Gulls.

Last one not sure. At the time I thought juv med gull again...

Attachments

• IMG_7250 2.jpg
    IMG_7250 2.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7268.jpg
    IMG_7268.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7273.jpg
    IMG_7273.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7265.jpg
    IMG_7265.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7263.JPG
    IMG_7263.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Hello,

this is not a definitive answer, just to alert others for the last picture 5: it might be another Med Gull, but
-it seems to lack a pale greater covert bar, they appear dark brown
-it has a slim bill for a Med Gull but within variation
-the black face mask is very extensive and seems to cover the whole eye, therefore there is much black before the eye

but it is a hard picture, and this mightbe a pitfall picture of a Med Gull

First picture: YLGs with an adult LBBG in the center. Left 1cy bird seems a YLG to me, but i am unsure.
Second picture is a YLG, pale completly unstreaked head with similiar neck streaks to a Caspian Gull is not good for any graelsi/intermedius immature (4cy?) LBBG but within variation for YLG.
Third picture is either a YLG or a LBBG
4 picture show ad and 1cy MedGull

just want to confirm all of alexander's IDs.
with 1cy YLG in the first pic,
2. showing a 3cy or 4cy YLG with a hormonal deficiency (thus rosy coloured legs and blackish bill)
3. 3cy YLG
4 and 5 med gulls

Thank you Lou,
can you write something about picture 3? I couldnt exclude LBBG with certainty.
And picture 5? It still has something strange to me, and this hasnt gone even after a second look.

So I can learn.

The left hand bird in 1, 2 and 3 same bird.

Thank you for your replies - brilliant. Now I have to think about hormonal deficiencies !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back