Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What did you see in your binoculars today?

Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 14:08   #51
ceasar

A couple of gray squirrels running around the branches of our Silver Maple trees feasting on the new buds popping out on them! The weather belies it but this is proof that spring is just around the corner!

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 14:11   #52
prc6995

Well it seems spring has sprung here in Hertfordshire as we saw a couple of parakeets mating this morning.
Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 15:22   #53
hvidklire

Smile

I had 4 common crane today.And 1 white wagtail.
Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 15:33   #54
yarrellii

hvidklire, we had 5 common cranes in Ibiza, a pretty rare sight around here: we're sending them all the way to you!
Besides the cranes, I had most pleasant time watching the plummage of an Audouin gull (this is a far more common species). It was around noon and the gull was peacefully standing on a rock directly on the sea; the light came to the bird from all directions (heaven, sea, etc.) and the features of the beak and feathers were really catchy. I had the EII 8x30 and the experience was phenomenal. A pic through the scope at 32x)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Audouin.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	689194  
Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 16:10   #55
hvidklire

Smile

Yarrellii,thank you for the Cranes
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 10:24   #56
yarrellii

A common kestrel just stopped for check on an almond tree outside of the window: Oil temperature OK; Water level OK, Fuel level OK, Tyre pressure OK; Filters OK. And he resumed flight It was such a pleasure observing how it took care of almost each and every feather on its striking plummage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cernícalo tuale.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	689265  
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 21:08   #57
Old Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
I thought this was a good idea for a new thread on the binocular forum.

Jerry
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...culars-part-3/

Credit where credit is due?
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 23:20   #58
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hat View Post
I thought it was a good idea but I didn't know source of the idea and didn't really care. I don't know if it was copyrighted either.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 23:56   #59
dries1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
A couple of gray squirrels running around the branches of our Silver Maple trees feasting on the new buds popping out on them! The weather belies it but this is proof that spring is just around the corner!

Bob

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th March 2019, 00:09   #60
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Hello all,

Today, I saw my first brown thrasher of the season. Unlike most of my sightings, I actually needed a binocular to see and identify it, as it was behind a fence in some bushes. Someone did point me in the right direction but it took a while to see it in my 8x32.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Arthur
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 18:10   #61
CharleyBird

So I'm out filling the feeders at about 17.45, dusk and gloomy, but I hear quite familiar twittering behind the white camelia and high up, either on the sweet chesnut or Scots pine. Bit difficult to see so I go inside, get my 9x63 and look out of the back bedroom window to see...goldfinch about 30' up on the chestnut, at least 10. Then they fly down to the red camelia, a mini flock of at least 20! And mostly vanish inside the impenetrable evergreen foliage. None on the feeders, but a real treat to have them in the back garden.
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 00:07   #62
yarrellii

Today I was really lucky, I got the chance to spend the afternoon with some birders who follow the urban peregrine falcon population in Madrid, so we were able to see some couples already in the brooding period (we got lucky and were there right in time for the moment when they swift turns). It is always amazing to see how such magnificent birds adapt to urban environments and make the skyscrapers and towers their home.
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 16:54   #63
wllmspd

Took the new APM 70mm ED bins to the London Wetland Centre. Getting towards the end of the wildfowl season in the U.K., though still a few hangers on when I went out last week. Very blustery and dull. Most birds were hunkered down, plenty to find with some patience. Lots of shoveler, teal and widgeon. Some great views of some well camouflaged snipe and a redshank. Wide angle 30x really gets you up close and personal with the wildlife, seeing their different personalities. Normally there are peregrine on a nearby tower block, but must have been too windy as none were clvisie today. I didn’t get a lot of use, my son hogged them most of the time. Must bring more spare binoculars next time.

Peter
Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 00:33   #64
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrellii View Post
Today I was really lucky, I got the chance to spend the afternoon with some birders who follow the urban peregrine falcon population in Madrid, so we were able to see some couples already in the brooding period (we got lucky and were there right in time for the moment when they swift turns). It is always amazing to see how such magnificent birds adapt to urban environments and make the skyscrapers and towers their home.
Very nice! Here in London some of the pairs have laid their first eggs of the season, the birds in Spain must be a little ahead. It was very windy today (+20mph most of the day with stronger gusts) and I got to see some exciting flying this morning. Most birds have trouble when the wind is that strong, but not them...

I was wondering if peregrines are regularly seen in Ibiza?

Regards,

P.
Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 10:01   #65
mpeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
Very nice! Here in London some of the pairs have laid their first eggs of the season, the birds in Spain must be a little ahead. It was very windy today (+20mph most of the day with stronger gusts) and I got to see some exciting flying this morning. Most birds have trouble when the wind is that strong, but not them...

Regards,

P.
Rather begrudgingly I had to take students on a trip to Bath in the UK yesterday. Before going I did a quick search for any birdwatching places and St John's church came up in a post online as having a nesting site for peregrines. It was an old post, so I wasn't too hopeful, but I took my Victory Pockets along and slipped away from the students for a look. Initially nothing and thought oh well worth a try and then a bit of racket like sea gulls and a peregrine appeared. It flew off and appeared to join two other birds of prey in the distance (possibly juvenile peregrines or?) and 5 minutes later landed on this spire in the picture. I got my camera out with just a 15-85mm lens and stuck around waiting for it to take flight and grab a couple of pictures. That took longer than expected (about 20 minutes in the cold), but thankfully I was paying attention when eventually it took off. So in the end it was a good trip to Bath. I highly recommend anyone visiting Bath to go along to St john's church and have just seen that they have a live webcam stream of the peregrine nest online here: http://upp.hawkandowl.org/bath-pereg...-web-cam-2018/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8470_cr.JPG
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	689763  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8474_cr.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	689764  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8475_cr.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	689765  

Last edited by mpeace : Sunday 17th March 2019 at 10:06.
Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 14:33   #66
yarrellii

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
Yes, it is a common species, I've seen them in one of their favourite spots, on the small islets that are part of the Natural Park "Reserves naturals des Vedr, es Vedranell I els illots de Ponent", on the West coast of the island. However, by far the most usual hawk is the common kestrel, the Eurasian sparrowhawk is not rare either, and during season the Eleonora Falcon is also easily found because it stays particularly on a few islets within "binocular range" from the coast of Ibiza.

Last edited by yarrellii : Sunday 17th March 2019 at 14:39.
Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 18:52   #67
Foss

Southern California. Late afternoon yesterday I had just cleaned my binoculars and was checking out the day-lit moon when a sandhill crane glided by, less than 100 feet overhead. Had a quality moment or two viewing before it left my field of view. After a while, saw two more soaring at a higher elevation and considerable distance away.
Moral of the story, clean your binoculars. :-)
Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 16:18   #68
Binastro

This morning 3a.m.
Fox owns the street, looks good in binocular.
Street rubbish bin not emptied in three days, so full. Fox got several bags out, maybe some food as he was stretched out on the road. Rather daft I thought as cars are still around at night.
Got a good photo. G15 0.3 sec f/2.8 140mm equivalent. 1600 ISO. Fox looking back over shoulder when stretched out on the road.
One other quite good but walking away not forward. Others blurred due to fox movement.

Although only distance glasses yesterday afternoon as too big for a binocular.
Bright colourful circumzenithal arc at 70 degree elevation. Got good photos.
Knocked on neighbour's door and brought parents and 6 year old daughter out.
They were pleased I did, as it is doubtful they have ever seen this halo before.
The wife pointed out a very bright coloured left sundog. No right side one.
Cirrus 25,000 ft but cloud at 3,600 ft and 6,000ft obscured some phenomena.

Even some lifelong astronomers have not seen this, as one asked what he had seen from Spain.
It is pretty common here, 12 to 20 a year.
The problem is nobody looks up overhead.
Whenever I see suitable cloud conditions I look overhead.
It looks like a rainbow almost overhead.

Sundogs 20 to 30 a year.
Partial 22 degree arcs 15 to 20 times a year. Complete rings rarer, but also around the Moon.
46 degree arcs very rare, 1x year?

I saw a full sky halo display and it was better than any aurora I have seen, and that is hundreds.
It is one of nature's most wondrous events.
Antarctica best for this. Also Nordic countries and maybe Canada?

Yesterday in a general 35mm wide angle shot is a small very streamlined bird, caught unknowingly.
It was flying fast and I think that it is a pigeon.
It looks a bit like a B2 bomber side on.
I took a photo some years ago of an even more streamlined small bird flying fast and that looked even more like a B2.

Today just crows.

B.

Last edited by Binastro : Tuesday 19th March 2019 at 17:00. Reason: Spelling
Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 18:32   #69
yarrellii

On my daitly sunset dog-walk birdwatch I did not spot the stone-curlews today (the neighbour had been picking the oranges, so that probably scared the poor birds). However, I had a nice encounter with a hoopoe. According to locals, they used to be way more common a few decades ago in this part of the Balearic islands, and now they're not a daily sight unfortunately. Anyway, I could enjoy one on the branch of a carob tree. Such a stunning creature; whenever there was a sudden noise, its crest went up... and down again. Nice.
Beyond what could be "seen", these days we have the continuous call of the European greenfinch; as the almond trees have already got their leaves, it is not that easy to spot them as a few weeks ago, but when you do spot one, their colours are so vivid this time of the year, the green is, well... very green and the yellow spot on the side is really bright.
On the backyard, a busy blackbird carrying a ton of small branches in the beak for building her nest :)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mirlo_hojas_nido.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	690092  

Last edited by yarrellii : Tuesday 19th March 2019 at 18:44.
Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 18:36   #70
yarrellii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
Yesterday in a general 35mm wide angle shot is a small very streamlined bird, caught unknowingly.
It was flying fast and I think that it is a pigeon.
It looks a bit like a B2 bomber side on.
I took a photo some years ago of an even more streamlined small bird flying fast and that looked even more like a B2.
Your comment reminded me of a picture I saw I while ago comparing a B2 and a peregrine falcon. I just googled both terms and found it (attached). One never ceases to be amazed at birds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B2Peregrine.jpg
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	690094  
Old Wednesday 20th March 2019, 14:28   #71
chris6

Yesterday a red kite made an appearance which alarmed my pigeons and then a peregrine chased them even higher, before eventually taking one. In the afternoon a robin came into the conservatory and had to be let out through the door, which reminded me that Angela Merckle was reported on TV to have called her cat Brexit, because it could not decide whether to go out or to stay in!

Today a robin, probably a member of the same pair as the one which got caught in the house, posed for ages singing from a branch about 40ft away. There was enough time for me to get out the most used Nikon HGL 8x32, and then also to try Zeiss 8x42 FL as well to inspect the robin, which was instructive.

An excellent view with either but it was obvious that the branches had very sharp outlines with the Zeiss, compared to those which were less so with the Nikon. I concluded that this was due to the CA which had not been noticeable when the Nikon had been used on its own, and that it might explain why the Zeiss is said to offer such 'crystalline' views. Evidently the 8x42 was also brighter but there was little difference in colour to be seen in the red breast.
Old Wednesday 20th March 2019, 15:02   #72
WalterRayle
Emeritus Professor at the University of the Bearded Clam

Song Thrush checking out the ivy on the garage wall for potential nest site, exactly the same way the Robin did a couple of weeks back as I reported here. The Robin looked on all the while the thrush was going about its business.
Also pair of Dunnock going through the motions of courtship before copulating.
Old Thursday 21st March 2019, 06:34   #73
WalterRayle
Emeritus Professor at the University of the Bearded Clam

And then late in the afternoon, Two Firecrests feeding in the Ivy!
Old Thursday 21st March 2019, 18:29   #74
tenex

No bino needed for this one: a lovely pair of Spotted Towhees thinking about settling into the juniper bushes by my driveway, the female scouting for nesting materials while the male was absorbed with challenging his own reflection in the glass of my car, mainly flitting back and forth from one side mirror to the other where the view must have seemed best. (Any parallels to the human condition purely coincidental.)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: