Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Old Monday 7th January 2019, 14:46   #26
Patrick_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
but then the Griffon vultures came, often in groups of six or so. I didn’t count them all but they are such a majestic bird to see as they soar effortlessly over the mountains without a single flap.
Mike
Last week, I had a chance to participate in the monitoring of two potential Griffon roosting sites in the Tramuntana in an effort to update the last census of 54 birds some 7 years ago or so. At one site (Mossa) only 2 pairs showed up, visibly preparing nesting sites, while the other site counted 62 birds (Es Cosconar area). This may not be the sum total of all Griffons on Mallorca but according to the local experts it should be pretty close. Hopefully we can repeat the exercise soon to confirm.

While on the topic of census, a recent roosting count of Red Kites yielded 271 birds in 11 separate roosting sites. An impressive number, some 80 birds higher than last year.
Old Monday 7th January 2019, 15:33   #27
kevinh

I called in at Prat de San Jordi on my way from the airport today at 1.30. The Jack snipe were still showing but very skittish.
Old Monday 7th January 2019, 17:05   #28
Mike Montier

You are one up on me Kevin, I haven’t been to see them yet. Mike McSwiss is here so maybe us three could meet up?
Patrick. Many thanks for the information, always very welcome on here and what great news it is. I remember last year there were an estimated 188 Red Kite I believe so that’s a fantastic increase. Nice to get good news.
I didn’t count the Griffon vultures at Sóller but I would guess over 20. I’m so pleased they too are doing well.
On arriving at my usual sea-watching site this afternoon, a large flock of Song Thrushes got up from the rocks, maybe newly arrived because I have never seen them there before. There were about 20 birds.
Six Balearic shearwaters flew west, they never let me down, such brilliant little birds.
Mike
Old Monday 7th January 2019, 20:10   #29
Mcnswiss2

Back in Mallorca

Great to be back in Mallorca.

Happy New Year to all!

Short trip to S’Albuferata.
Birds seen included:
Flamingoes (>20), Great and Little Egrets, Crag Martins, Kestrels, Cetti warblers, Common and Green Sandpipers, Common Shellduck, Teal, Wigeon, Purple Heron, Purple Swamphen,Black winged Stilts, Stonechats, Water pipits, Corn Buntings and Willow warblers.

Only 9 Hoopoes seen

Looking forward to participate in the Big Year and meeting fellow birders

Mike
Old Tuesday 8th January 2019, 06:47   #30
ESTEBANNIC

I also managed to connect with the Jack Snipe at St Jordi yesterday morning :) . Also a very showy Water Rail. I've never seen one so close and bold. A Bluethroat was also flitting around (my 6 year old son found it..).

I estimated around 1.800 White Wagtail's at their roost at Palma airport, a far cry from the 40.000 we counted 13 years ago! A long-eared owl hanging out in the palm trees in the middle of the roosting area, fairly easy to see. It was in the same place on three consecutive nights at least. Seemed pretty unfazed with all the people walking underneath it...

Last edited by ESTEBANNIC : Tuesday 8th January 2019 at 07:04.
Old Tuesday 8th January 2019, 18:40   #31
kevinh

Again at St Jordi today, several Jack Snipe, Bluethroat,Water pipit, Ringed plover, Reed bunting ,Meadow pipit, Chiffchaff,Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Kestrel and Red kite
Old Tuesday 8th January 2019, 18:51   #32
Mike Montier

Thanks estebannic, I know some people struggle to see Long-eared owl so that would be a good one to go for. I wonder what has caused the huge decline in White wagtails? Here in Porto Petro some explosive material is used at dusk to scare them away from the boats.
I remember seeing a very showy Water rail once before, makes a change from seeing them scuttling away back into the vegetation.
I have been to Sa Barrala every day for a week now and have not seen any Common Crane although as Pep says, someone saw them Saturday.
Only 13 Hoopoe on the polo pitch today but two tractors were on the grass making lots of noise. Hundreds of Skylarks in the area and mixed finches. Also a calling Corn bunting and raptors seemed to fill the sky there today with Red Kite, Booted Eagle and Marsh Harrier all well represented. I think a slow walk around this area would pay dividends, I’m normally short of time but I really should spend at least half a day there.
Mike
Old Tuesday 8th January 2019, 20:07   #33
Mcnswiss2

A great walk in Son Real.

Quiet at the water pond: only robins, willow warblers, great tits and crossbills seen.
Other birds seen in the area included Thekla Larks, Hoopoes, Kentish Plovers, Audouin Gulls, Mistle Thrush,RL Partridges, Firecrest,Kestrels and Booted Eagles. One Turnstone seen.

A short visit to Depuradora revealed Marsh Harriers, Crag Martins, Green Sandpipers, Booted Eagles, Shoverlers and Shellducks. Several flocks of Siskins and Goldfinches. No sign of bluethroats.

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Tuesday 8th January 2019 at 20:13.
Old Tuesday 8th January 2019, 20:14   #34
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnswiss2 View Post
A great walk in Son Real.
A short visit to Depuradora revealed Marsh Harriers, Crag Martins, Green Sandpipers, Booted Eagles, Shoverlers and Shellducks. Several flocks of Siskins and Goldfinches. No sign of bluethroats.
Hi, flocks of Siskins?

Last edited by Josep Manchado : Tuesday 8th January 2019 at 20:31.
Old Tuesday 8th January 2019, 21:18   #35
Mcnswiss2

Sorry Serins ..I was too fast
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 07:04   #36
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Sorry Serins ..I was too fast
hehehe ok, dont worry, I was surprised because everybody is looking for siskins this winter and they haven't arrived to Majorca.

Last edited by Josep Manchado : Wednesday 9th January 2019 at 09:20.
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 16:47   #37
Mcnswiss2

Maristany

1 Tufted duck and maybe 2 hybrids in the small pond at Maristany.

Other birds seen included Great Crested and Little Grebes, Common Pochards,
Shoverlers, Crag Martins, Willow warblers, etc.

New publication guide to urban birdlife available

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...-birdlife.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3AD332BC-3573-4120-B3C4-F0D348F6BE85.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	684236  Click image for larger version

Name:	0336677D-C815-4E7E-8FE7-9E4C8F321D83.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	684237  
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 19:38   #38
Mike Montier

Another nice walk out onto the salt pans with Kevin.
First surprise of the day was a Harris Hawk flying past us and settling in a tree in the next field. These raptors are very popular with falconers and one owner recently told me that he had lost quite a few. So had his colleagues apparently so that would make quite a total free-flying in Mallorca.
There were the usual Flamingoes, a Spoonbill, Dunlin, Greenshank, Teal, Little stint, Curlew, Water rail, Hoopoe, Black headed gulls and a sky full of raptors, the usual suspects of Red Kite, Marsh Harrier and Booted Eagle. Also Peregrine and Kestrel.
Some hard weather coming in tomorrow so maybe a few more species will be available because lots of winter species are either absent or very scarce.
Having said that, the year is going well, I have even seen two Dunnocks so far.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD09061F-E179-4A6D-BD52-476936447109.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	684246  

Last edited by Mike Montier : Wednesday 9th January 2019 at 19:49. Reason: No photo
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 21:18   #39
honeym

Quote:

New publication guide to urban birdlife available

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...-birdlife.html
Judging by the cover, yet more great images by Cati.

Martin
Old Wednesday 9th January 2019, 21:20   #40
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
hehehe ok, dont worry, I was surprised because everybody is looking for siskins this winter and they haven't arrived to Majorca.
Hi Pep

Hardly any local to me in the UK this winter. I've still to see one!

Martin
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 06:57   #41
ESTEBANNIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Judging by the cover, yet more great images by Cati.

Martin
Quite correct Martin! Also, just to let everyone know, this little guide is also available in English
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 13:40   #42
Maties Rebassa

From my office in s'Albufera I can't see any bird, but I hear them quite often (if I open the window). These days I've heard some times siskins flying over, so they have arrived!

I can read that some of you has seen Willow Warblers. That's very strange, I've never seen one in winter in Mallorca (at least before March). Could they be Chiff chaffs?

Best wishes,
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 14:45   #43
Mike Montier

I’m sure Mike will confirm Chiff-chaff later Maties. He is out at Prat de Sant Jordi not seeing the Jack Snipe.
Mike, Stew and I are coming to Albufera Saturday in search of year ticks and will look out for Siskins. We will also be going to Son Real soon which is a good site for that species.
Mike
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 16:09   #44
Geordie Dave

Belated best wishes for 2019, here's to health, happiness and great birding. Many thanks to Mike Montier for running and managing this forum and to all who read and contribute to it. I made my first visit to Mallorca in April 2018 and managed a total of 5 visits in the year. I had a total of 132 species (including red flanked bluetail!), nothing to trouble the scorers in the Big Year competition but a decent start and I was delighted to build up a list of around 12 sites that I am getting to know and visit. We are in the process of buying a property in Port de Pollenca and return on 14 January for a week. With only a couple of hours of paperwork to deal with I am looking forward to getting out and about for the rest of the 7 days. I find this site an invaluable source of information as to what is being seen and where but also an interesting read in its own right as I try to build up my knowledge of this beautiful island. Keep up the good work!!
Regards
David
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 17:33   #45
StewB

We arrived mid-afternoon yesterday (Wednesday), and we’re greeted with a small group of lapwing from the plane window as we landed. We had red kites, hoopoes and crag martins on the drive up from the airport.

Today I dropped Mrs B off in Inca for the market and headed for Bassa de Can Guidet, hoping to add black-necked grebe to my Mallorca list. As everyone says, it’s hard to find, but the directions in Gosney’s book got me there eventually. Viewing is quite restricted, but in one sweep I had 21 BNGs. On the water were lots of shovellers and mallards, many pochards and single shelduck and tufted duck. Lots of coot too. In the weedy fields behind the viewing spot there were house sparrows, goldfinches and green finches, which were joined by small groups of serins and 12+ tree sparrows. Black redstarts, robins, song thrushes were here, as they seemed to be at every site today.

After lunch I had an afternoon mooching around the Albufereta, C’an Cuarassa and La Gola. From the hide at the Albufereta there was a sandwich tern, 9+ greenshank and a spotted redshank, with a great white egret on the main pools. I had four close fly-by spotless starlings at C’an Cuarassa, and a juv night heron at LaGola. The breakwaters off Puerto Pollenca held only two adult Audouin’s gulls - clinging on in the high winds!

I decided to go to the Mirador d’Albercutx to see if anything was happening over the sea. However, it was so windy I could hardly stand up, so I left pretty much immediately. As I got back to the car there was an Alpine accentor bumbling about the car park! I stood still and it came to within about 2m - the attached photo is uncropped!

On the way back to the apartment I dropped in to Postage Stamp Wood. It was heaving with robins, but also a couple of blackcaps, song thrushes, firecrests and a dunnock (this last, an addition to my Mallorca list).

Stew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F3A34BC1-0574-4521-B5AB-0124ACA52BE0.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	684297  Click image for larger version

Name:	B553E540-AC71-4578-AFE3-CC40DDFD6F3A.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	684298  Click image for larger version

Name:	6049BE48-8AB2-486D-9152-3D2F724A050C.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	684299  Click image for larger version

Name:	E61CA2BD-E8A5-4BCB-8A0B-6351C801396B.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	684300  
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 17:59   #46
Mike Montier

Well done Stew, that’s an impressive start! Quite a few of your target birds now firmly on your list. We will now have to aim higher and look for some other species although I need most of those for my year list.
No other news today yet, Mike
Ps brilliant shot of the Accentor.
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 18:10   #47
kevinh

Today at Albufera. I viewed the large wetland area from the road behind the main Alcudia road. There were 3 G.W. Egrets, Flamingo,2 Sandwich terns ,Osprey and 135 Wigeon.
Later at S’Amardor behind the dog house . Wood and Green sandpiper, 3 Common snipe , Bluethroat , Moustached warbler , Water pipit , Chiffchaff,White wagtail ,Marsh harrier , Kestrel ,Little egret and 4 Lapwing
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 19:39   #48
Mcnswiss2

Taking folks to the airport gave the opportunity to visit Garden City and the Jack Snipe site at Prat de Sant Jordi.

Birds seen included Red Kite, Auduoins Gulls, YL Gulls, Chiffchaff and Serins ( sigh..old age ), Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Water Pipits, Meadow Pipits, White Wagtails, Reed Bunting, Sandwich Terns, Cattle Egret, Shags and Cormorant.

No sign of the Jack Snipe..water levels very low. No sign of the Turnstones at Garden City.
Old Friday 11th January 2019, 17:17   #49
StewB

A long day in the field started with a brief visit to Maristany en route to Son Real. With most wildfowl tucked against the far bank out of the wind, a group of four tufted duck were about the best of it at Maristany. Son Real was a bit disappointing too - the high wind, whilst not the hoolie that was blowing yesterday, was keeping passerines low and quiet. Crossbills were in evidence though, with c12 in trees around the hide and smaller groups flying over calling elsewhere. A dunnock near the picnic tables on trail 3 was a highlight for me. Five thekla larks were picking through debris on the shore, and round the corner from the offshore rocks the beach was alive with waders. Mainly Kentish plovers(certainly over 200), there were also 11 dunlin (sleeping on the rocks), four turnstones and a single ringed plover. Again, there were lots of song thrushes, robins and black redstarts.

A brief visit to Son Bosc and the Depuradora provided green sands, common sand and water pipits (2). I followed up Kevin’s information from yesterday and had wood sand, water pipit and reed bunting at S’Amarador.

I finished with a visit to the tower at the Albufereta. After a series of blustery showers had gone through the wind dropped away at last - and it was quite pleasant without the risk of being blown out of my socks! Highlight here was the group of flamingos on the far pools. Some birds were obscured, but I counted a minimum of 24. Also here were 3 great white egrets, a grey wagtail and a stone curlew ( in the corner of the field behind and west of the tower). When the wind dropped, crag martin numbers seemed to increase and for a while there were lots of birds around the tower, many at eye level.

Stew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DB779535-F4C4-4000-8418-88C03C0EAC2C.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	684357  Click image for larger version

Name:	383C6981-F657-4761-A83C-B7F071B4C878.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	684358  Click image for larger version

Name:	E4B74174-FAFD-4A06-8A3D-17D9D2B7A957.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	684359  Click image for larger version

Name:	39F42410-EAAA-4B5D-BE91-BECF5A3C681A.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	684360  
Old Friday 11th January 2019, 19:08   #50
Mcnswiss2

A short visit around Pollensa, including a walk up to the entrance of Ternelles Valley. The situation for visiting the Valley seems to have changed yet again

http://www.ajpollenca.net/visites-ternelles

http://www.fvsm.eu/visitas-ternelles/

Birds seen on this Breezy and cold day included:

Black Vultures(6), Booted Eagles, Kestrels, Red Kite, Goldfinches, Serins, Chaffinches, Chiffchaff, Song Thrush, Cirl, Bunting, Wren, Meadow Pipit, Gray Wagtail.

Interesting number of male Black Redstart. Do they arrive after the females?

Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: