Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Collins Bird Guide for Android Survey

Old Friday 26th May 2017, 22:04   #101
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I'm just wondering for my friend who's just downloaded the Collins android bird app. Will the android Collins bird app get the videos for every single bird in the Collins app just like the Apple version of the same app eventually. There are 3 sections of priced videos of which the basic common birds are free but the other 3 sections of bird videos you have to buy as add on's, of which I've all the videos of all the birds on that Apple Collins bird app.
Old Friday 26th May 2017, 22:50   #102
valdi99

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ides.birdguide

Works for me! However - prior to that, I had to update my LG G3s smartphone to Android 5.0.2 to get it to work.
Old Sunday 28th May 2017, 08:33   #103
Gzoladz74

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
I'm just wondering for my friend who's just downloaded the Collins android bird app. Will the android Collins bird app get the videos for every single bird in the Collins app just like the Apple version of the same app eventually. There are 3 sections of priced videos of which the basic common birds are free but the other 3 sections of bird videos you have to buy as add on's, of which I've all the videos of all the birds on that Apple Collins bird app.
Do you know what else they sell as addon? I have heard call recognition?
Old Sunday 28th May 2017, 08:48   #104
marek_walford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzoladz74 View Post
Do you know what else they sell as addon? I have heard call recognition?
Sound is included. UK BTO distribution maps is an in app purchase. Video is an in app purchase on the IOS Apple version so hopefully will be an option in a future release of the Android version.
Old Monday 29th May 2017, 08:03   #105
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedejaz View Post
No response either long response. But usually none.
Same for me, the text search does not really work. Samsung S6, Android 7.0. Otherwise fine!
Old Monday 29th May 2017, 09:47   #106
Doctor Twitchings

Can anyone please give a definitive answer as to when the android version of this app will have the option of adding the video clips?
Old Monday 29th May 2017, 18:31   #107
bongofury

Great app and works fine on Moto G4. Saves lugging the book about and includes songs / calls too. Well worth the wait.

Strange, the search function doesn't locate "Blue Tit". (Before anyone asks, it was a test, not a legitimate ID query search!)

Last edited by bongofury : Monday 29th May 2017 at 22:22.
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 17:32   #108
turin

Update has now fixed the search function,everything working fine.
Big thumbs up to the developer for such a quick fix
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 19:21   #109
GMS

Works fine on my LG 3G. Looks very good.
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 20:09   #110
Richard Scott

It's a bargain at 12.99 (or 17.99 on itunes). Pity I've got an iPhone!
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 20:28   #111
bongofury

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Yes, my search issue also now resolved.
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 16:44   #112
AlanE

Downloaded Collins Bird Guide app to my phone without problems but could not install on Android tablet (Samsung SM-T700, Android 6.0.1). Asked Googleplay agent to call me back and, checking against his list, he said the app is listed for phones but for not tablets and offered me a fund. I declined this but asked him to forward this point to the app developer. Meantime others beware! Does anyone else have a have similar experience with this app?
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 19:23   #113
Tarsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
Downloaded Collins Bird Guide app to my phone without problems but could not install on Android tablet (Samsung SM-T700, Android 6.0.1). Asked Googleplay agent to call me back and, checking against his list, he said the app is listed for phones but for not tablets and offered me a fund. I declined this but asked him to forward this point to the app developer. Meantime others beware! Does anyone else have a have similar experience with this app?
Ive just put it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T500 Android 6.0.1 and its works fine.

Russ
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 21:47   #114
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
from me too
Old Friday 2nd June 2017, 19:13   #115
osprey123

Mine's also installed on my Lenovo-A10 tablet with no issues.
Old Tuesday 6th June 2017, 19:54   #116
Winterdune

I asked about video. Here's the reply: "Hello Sean. We will add video in the future; we want to make sure the video delivery is reliable before we release anything into the app. It's like to be around 6 months before video is added. We hope you enjoy the app."
Old Tuesday 6th June 2017, 21:40   #117
Gaz Shilton

Works fine on my LG G4. 12.99 well spent.
Old Thursday 8th June 2017, 08:52   #118
Stuart R

Android app

Hi

About to upgrade my android phone and would like to use this android app on my new phone. I see some people are using Moto G4, LG G3/4 and I wonder if there are any further recommendations. Would be nice if the new phone would be water resistant as well as we birders sometimes get caught out in some filthy weather at times.

Thanks
Old Thursday 8th June 2017, 09:54   #119
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart R View Post
Hi

About to upgrade my android phone and would like to use this android app on my new phone. I see some people are using Moto G4, LG G3/4 and I wonder if there are any further recommendations. Would be nice if the new phone would be water resistant as well as we birders sometimes get caught out in some filthy weather at times.

Thanks
The more recent models of the top brands all seem to be water resistant.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-water...istant-phones/

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 8th June 2017, 20:58   #120
AlanE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
See below for the advice to me from Stephen at Nature Guides, in case anyone else has a similar problem. In fact the issue was the Playstore app, which needed updating/refreshing.

The first (point) is ensuring the Android system is up to date on your tablet and there are no updates pending. Its worth quitting the Play Store app (tap the square button on your device and swipe the app away to close it) and turning your tablet off and back on again just in case.

Secondly, see if you can find the app (or app icon) on the table, even if it doesnt open. It may be in the Application manager. Try deleting the app (or app icon) from your device. Hold on the icon until Delete/Uninstall appears at the top of the screen. Drag the icon to Uninstall and confirm. More details here: https://support.google.com/googlepla...21768?hl=en-GB and here: http://www.wikihow.com/Delete-Apps-on-Android

The rather drastic third step would be to request a refund on the app from the Play Store, then purchase the app again. This should free up any problems that prevented it from being downloaded the first time.
Old Thursday 8th June 2017, 21:29   #121
John-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart R View Post
Hi

Thanks
The Moto G4plus is good value in my opinion and is water resistant.
Also comes with expandable storage so you could store the apps data there.
Old Wednesday 14th June 2017, 17:24   #122
John Cantelo

Forgive my ignorance regarding technical matters but would this app work on a Kindle Fire?

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Wednesday 14th June 2017, 19:58   #123
John-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Forgive my ignorance regarding technical matters but would this app work on a Kindle Fire?
It is a different "branch" of the Android OS on a Fire, so unless you can install Google Play on the Fire, the answer would be no.
Unless and until it is available on the Amazon Apps.
Old Wednesday 14th June 2017, 21:35   #124
bobhowe

Does anyone else find that when the photos are selected and zoomed in it won't let you scroll down so the bottom section can't be seen?
Old Wednesday 14th June 2017, 23:26   #125
petemorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhowe View Post
Does anyone else find that when the photos are selected and zoomed in it won't let you scroll down so the bottom section can't be seen?
Photos?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: