Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Collins Bird Guide for Android Survey

Old Thursday 21st July 2016, 12:38   #1
Mono
Hi!

Collins Bird Guide for Android Survey

There is currently a survey running to gauge demand for an Android version of the Collins Bird Guide app. I know members here have been asking so I thought I would share.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/K6PFSFS
Old Thursday 21st July 2016, 13:51   #2
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Who set up the survey Mono?
Old Thursday 21st July 2016, 15:20   #3
Mono
Hi!

I picked it up via Bird Guides twitter feed, I believe it is from the developer behind the iPhone version.
Old Thursday 21st July 2016, 17:39   #4
dalat

Good to see something moving here, altough a survey to gauge interest is a bit less than what I was hoping for. Do they really need a survey to find out that we're desperately waiting for that app
Old Friday 22nd July 2016, 19:11   #5
droidbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
Good to see something moving here, altough a survey to gauge interest is a bit less than what I was hoping for. Do they really need a survey to find out that we're desperately waiting for that app
Here's a little bit more...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VDIuV1UH0Qs
Old Friday 11th November 2016, 12:43   #6
dalat

Any news here?
Old Wednesday 16th November 2016, 12:47   #7
dalat

I wrote the German publisher of the Svensson guide (Kosmos) and they replied that the Android version is being developed, but they couldn't give a date of publishing yet. They said something about delays related to the developer of the app. Anyway, good to have the confirmation they are working on it.
Old Tuesday 6th December 2016, 12:27   #8
Calscot59

Wish they would hurry up!...Collins is so much better than anything currently available for Android
Old Wednesday 7th December 2016, 00:37   #9
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
I wrote the German publisher of the Svensson guide (Kosmos) and they replied that the Android version is being developed, but they couldn't give a date of publishing yet. They said something about delays related to the developer of the app. Anyway, good to have the confirmation they are working on it.
I'm not holding my breath waiting for the Android version. However, my checkbook is ready if it ever is offered.
Against that, the developers web site makes no bones about it being an all Apple shop. Plus they emphasize that they were one of the very first Apple apps, something they are very proud of. In addition, Apple may now have a share of the ownership of the Collins app.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th December 2016, 17:35   #10
dalat

The reply I got from Kosmos mentionned that they work with a new company for the Android version... they also said that the delays where somehow related to this change to a new company.

When looking up the iphone app, it now seems to be associated with natureguides, rather than touchpress, who was the original producer of the app, as far as I understand. http://collinsbirdguideapp.com/

Whatever this all means, I hope that the info I got is correct and that the Android app is out, better sooner than later.

Last edited by dalat : Wednesday 7th December 2016 at 17:37.
Old Thursday 8th December 2016, 16:15   #11
dalat

Ok, here one more bit of info I found:

http://www.natursidan.se/nyheter/fag...id-varen-2017/

If I got it right from google translate, the quoted guy from Bonnier Fakta (Swedish Publisher of the original Svensson) confirmed that the Android version should be out in spring 2017.

Old Thursday 8th December 2016, 17:22   #12
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Ok, here one more bit of info I found:

http://www.natursidan.se/nyheter/fag...id-varen-2017/

If I got it right from google translate, the quoted guy from Bonnier Fakta (Swedish Publisher of the original Svensson) confirmed that the Android version should be out in spring 2017.

Great find and very good news!
With luck it might be available for spring migration.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 09:07   #13
wedejaz
Paukštukas

Looks like it's out in april:

https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780...ins-bird-guide
Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 10:23   #14
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedejaz View Post
Thanks for this. Being entirely new to smart phones & tablets (thank you Santa) I didn't realise e-books weren't available across all platforms so I was both surprised & disappointed that I couldn't load up the Collins guide on either. Are there any figures for how many have smart phones/tablets based on android vs I-phone technology?

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 11:28   #15
peter.jones

Hi John, this is an app based on content from the Collins book, so needs to be made for android. It will probably be more menu driven as opposed to reading a book if that makes sense. The apple app came out some time ago, much to many people's disgust!
Ebooks, on the other hand, do work across all platforms, but, can get complicated due to the publishers putting digital locks on their ebooks to prevent illegal sharing. This can get messy as your library of ebooks could all end up in different collections. E.g. some on Kindle, some on Google books. I had a lot of difficulty with the reptile field guide which would only work on a specific reader, which was crap (very slow, and only possible to turn one page at a time).
Fortunately, there is a free software program which works on Windows pc's called calibre which can convert ebooks to pdfs, readable on pretty much any reader.
There are also scanning apps for android which can assist in converting paper books to digital format which is useful for converting sections of field guides into pdf.

Apologies, this is going off topic, but may be useful, and may help avoiding some of the pitfalls I have been down!

Last edited by peter.jones : Sunday 15th January 2017 at 11:32.
Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 12:57   #16
John Cantelo

Thank you, Peter. Off topic or not that's very helpful particularly regarding "calibre" which I will investigate.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Monday 3rd April 2017, 15:50   #17
wedejaz
Paukštukas

Collins for android rolls out this wednesday.
At the moment it even has a special offer --> https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780...ins-bird-guide
Too bad I'm back to old school keypad Nokia at the moment :/
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 09:16   #18
peter.jones

In case my earlier comment is misleading, I'm not sure what the product being released tomorrow is.
It can't be an "ebook android app". It is either an ebook, or an app, or i don't understand!

The description implies it is an app, with clever searching tools, and in-app purchases to add videos etc. Which is like the apple version.
But the product details say it's a 416 page ebook, and the preorder page states reflowable ebook. Plus the webpage says it should be read with the bookshout! App. So, I'm a bit confused what it is, to be honest.

Last edited by peter.jones : Tuesday 4th April 2017 at 09:20.
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 09:50   #19
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
In case my earlier comment is misleading, I'm not sure what the product being released tomorrow is.
It can't be an "ebook android app". It is either an ebook, or an app, or i don't understand!

The description implies it is an app, with clever searching tools, and in-app purchases to add videos etc. Which is like the apple version.
But the product details say it's a 416 page ebook, and the preorder page states reflowable ebook. Plus the webpage says it should be read with the bookshout! App. So, I'm a bit confused what it is, to be honest.
I notice there is also a Ł2.50 shipping charge, which is quite odd for something downloadable.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 12:21   #20
colincurry

Just as confused!

Hoping we will soon hear of someone's practical experience, either here or elsewhere on line.

Colin
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 14:52   #21
wedejaz
Paukštukas

I bet it is an app. Only the Harper Collins has no option for that.
But shipping charge? Say whaaaaaaat?
Let's wait until it pops out in google play store.
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 16:10   #22
colincurry

Have just sent an email to HarperCollins asking for a full explanation for me and other confused birders. In my case, it is my age combined with 100% opacity.

Will post any reply.

Colin
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 17:39   #23
Justmesteph

Thanks I've been after this for ages.. I'll be stalking this thread now lol
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 22:20   #24
Torchepot

I wonder if you can download it on more than one device? What happens if you lose or upgrade your android phone/tablet - can you transfer the app?
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 23:05   #25
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchepot View Post
I wonder if you can download it on more than one device? What happens if you lose or upgrade your android phone/tablet - can you transfer the app?
Well when I replaced my Apple iPhone 5 with the Apple iPhone 7 plus, the Collins s bird app easily transferred free of charge and so so I presume it would be the same with your android phone/tablet. I also upgraded to a more recent Apple iPad and transferred the Collins app free of charge as well
Ian.

Last edited by IAN JAMES THOMPSON : Tuesday 4th April 2017 at 23:07.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: