• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen Foresta 8x32 Porro Prism? (1 Viewer)

scalkins

Has anybody seen or own the Vixen Foresta 8x32 Porro Binocular. There is alot of discussion on the Leupold 8x30 Yosemite but I cannot find any discussion on this Vixen. The field of view looks small but all the other stats look OK and I am assuming that the Vixen will have better coatings than the Yosemite.

thanks

Not seen one but the specs aren't so good: 335 feet FOV (only 6.4 degrees) and a 13mm ER (so no good for eyeglass wearers or people with odd "deep set eye" faces). Weight about the same as a Yosemite. Close focus is better.

Not sure why you'd assume the coatings are any better. The only coating is multilayer AR and there' likely to be little difference between the Vixen and the Leupold especially as both are made in China now (Vixen is OEMed by Bosma in Ghuangzhou). Chinese optical companies have multilayer AR down now. It's not cutting edge high tech: the military used it in the late 1950s; civilians in Europe got it in the 1970s.

If you want to spend that amount of money on a porro perhaps the Leupold Cascades might be a better bet. Or perhaps make the jump the Swift 8.5x44 same sort of ER with an excellent view.

Or the humble Yosemite is a nice bet too. Or the Celestron Ultima DX 8x32. Both have been commented on here. Both go for $90. Spend the extra cash on gas for birding trips ;)

BTW, I own a Yosemite, an Eagle Optics Raptor 10x42 (which is the previous model Vixen Foresta 10x42) and a Celestron Ultima DX 8x32. I like all of them. All are well built. All have good FOV and ER.

So this bins is not likely to be a dud but I suspect you can get better value for your money elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back