• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iraq Camp Balad (JBB) (1 Viewer)

Tatz13

This is my present camp, and hopefully my last  This camp has another of my favorite birds. It took me lots of research to find out exactly what this bird is but eventually I found it. The Blue Cheeked Bee-eater. These birds are really colorful and fun to watch. I have a camera, but the pictures are not very good as it is only a Sony DCS W-350 and I have been trying to capture a bird I can’t identify, but the pictures are not clear enough. The bird resembles a long Tailed Tit in shape, it has similar coloring to a wren, its body is around 2.5 inches long its tail is about the same and its beak is insect catching shape.
There are Jackdaws, Hooded Crows and Ravens here, maybe 20-30,000 Ravens. I run the power plant on this base, and every few days is goes down just after dawn when the Ravens take off and touch each other and the 11,000v spark hits them and we have instant fried Raven. I have some good pictures of what 11,000 volts does to a bird but they are a bit disturbing to post I think.
Anyway this is a brief synopsis of my birding experience in Iraq. One day I will sit down and write it all up properly 

Fascinating stuff, I'm jealous! Is this your Wren-coloured long-tailed bird perhaps, it's a Graceful Prinia.
Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• prin 003.jpg
    prin 003.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 80
No problem! I Wonder if one of your Lapwing- like birds was this one, Spur-winged Lapwing.
Richard

Attachments

• spur winged Lapwing.jpg
    spur winged Lapwing.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 59
It could have been Richard, but i really cant remember, it was a while ago, and without the aid of photographs I couldn't say for definite.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back