• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When will EDG85 replaced with a new model? (1 Viewer)

Well,the Monarch modular system was their new model on the way ,but that project was aborted .Maybe the whole concept needed more time ..It was interesting that the new project was presented with the mid of the range series name,the Monarch,and priced also in that point,closer to the original fieldscope in value,and even more with the astro eyepieces...kind of too good to be true,if you think about it.

Nikon has been pulling back from this sector, based on the evidence.
So I'm not anticipating further developments/successor models.

I do not think Nikon has said the last word when it comes to fieldscopes in alpha class. Nikon is a giant company compared to eg Swarovski and Leica, so they have the resources to develop substitutes to the EDG series. Optically, they have over the years demonstrated that they know their stuff too. My ED82 with 30x, 50x and 25-75x will however be used until it is worn out or alternatively until there is a spotting scope with a zoom on the market that can fully compete with fixed eyepieces. I hope that Nikon gets there first! |^|

sports optics division is not a giant in the nikon conglomerate,
and most likely not the priority one,

lost my interest for nikon scopes/binos after the Monarch debacle,
nikon probably realized that the monarch scopes couldn't compete with the european ones,
just looking at the specs (ER, size of ocular lenses etc) the monarch where already behind,

my late edIIIA was a very good scope for the money,
and the Monarchs were intended to replace the ED82/EDIII series,
so there's definitely a whole in the nikon lineup now,
though the EDG scopes have come down in price,

if the EDG scopes came out 2009, we could probably expect
a replacement for them something like 2019…

(Nikon can be VERY slow replacing camera lenses as well,
and it can take more than 10 years in some cases)

Last edited:
I do not think Nikon has said the last word when it comes to fieldscopes in alpha class. Nikon is a giant company compared to eg Swarovski and Leica, so they have the resources to develop substitutes to the EDG series. Optically, they have over the years demonstrated that they know their stuff too. My ED82 with 30x, 50x and 25-75x will however be used until it is worn out or alternatively until there is a spotting scope with a zoom on the market that can fully compete with fixed eyepieces. I hope that Nikon gets there first! |^|

Nikon absolutely has the capability to make world beating optics. But right now they are fighting for their lives in the imaging sector (70% of sales), because smart phones are taking so much market share away from dedicated cameras. So it is unlikely much resource will again be allocated to the 'sport optics' enthusiast segment until the camera market recovers.

Nikon absolutely has the capability to make world beating optics. But right now they are fighting for their lives in the imaging sector (70% of sales), because smart phones are taking so much market share away from dedicated cameras. So it is unlikely much resource will again be allocated to the 'sport optics' enthusiast segment until the camera market recovers.

That is exactly right. Both Nikon and Canon are fighting for their lives now, because DSLRs are their bread and butter. I wouldn't say they are in the emergency room yet but things aren't smooth on the battlefield. On photography forums we are experiencing a huge shift of hobbyists moving from DSLR into mirrorless dominated by brands like Sony and Fuji. An even larger shift are the consumers, dropping the cheaper DSLR and PnS altogether when the smartphones from Samsung and Apple can do the same thing they need and better, faster.

The trading market for used camera gear used to be vibrant and lively for the past 7-8 years, but they are significantly quieter now and getting more difficult to move DSLR gear.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back