• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark-eyed Juncos at my feeders! (1 Viewer)

HarlnTaz

Hi all, I'm JUST this year seeing visiting dark-eyed Juncos at my nyjer tube feeder and at my hanging suet feeder. They've only previously ever been ground feeders, at least in my yard. I'm from NY on the north shore of Long Island.
Any comments or similar situations? Are they modifying their habits?
Thanx in advance.

Hi again! In all the years I've been feeding the birds I have never seen a Junco at a feeder. They must be quite hungry. ;)

What kind of seed are they eating?

Hi KC, they're eating nyjer/thistle seed from my tube feeder and nibbling suet from a hanging sunflower feeder. They flutter a lot trying to balance but they're doin' it. They don't even TRY to eat the sunflower seed at the weighted bar feeder. Guess it's not their fave.

That's amazing! I have 4 suet feeders and 1 nyjer and 3 sunflower and like I said, never saw one at the feeder. Only on the ground. Heck, I rarely but sometimes get them perched.

Every year, the Juncos have been on the ground, on my safflower tube feeder, mixed tube feeder, thistle tube feeder and on suet...don't seem too picky.

I have feeders at my house and get lots of Juncos(20+) in the yard every day. They only ever eat off the ground or the ground feeder I have.

BUT..... I also have a Suet Ball Feeder hidden in the woods of my local Birding patch. This feeder gets lots of use and the biggest customers are Dark Eyed Junco's, Spotted Towhee's and Song Sparrow's all I believe to be rare feeder visitors but they just don't stop coming to that particular feeder.

Some pics below for proof..8-P

Attachments

• 20170118_090752.jpg
    20170118_090752.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 39
  • 20170118_091309.jpg
    20170118_091309.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170118_091610.jpg
    20170118_091610.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170118_091130.jpg
    20170118_091130.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 46
I've gotten Song Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, and House Sparrow all at my nyjer feeder, so Junco is no surprise. I have not had Junco come to my nyjer feeder, and I have only ever seen them on an elevated feeder after a now storm where it covered the ground seed.

I have been feeding the birds for several years now, and juncos will fairly readily come to my hanging platform feeders. I have also seen them occasionally on my nyjer feeder, but that is probably because it has a perch. They will use the suet cage readily if the seed runs out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back