• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Mystery Bins (1 Viewer)

brocknroller

porromaniac
United States
The eBay seller lists this roof as a Nikon 8x32 High Grade (HG), but this is not an 8x32 HG. It has two-toned rubber armor, 7.4* FOV rather than 7.8*,the eyecups are fold-down rubber, not twist-ups, and the focus knob is not the right shape and has no identification markings. He later calls them nikon zoom 8x32 dcf hp ra and lists these specs:

Max Magnification: 12x
Type: Binoculars
Features: Zoom Lens

An uncle Tonoose No Prize to the first person to correctly identify what the heck these are.

NIKON-HIGH-GRADE-8-x-32-BINOCULARS-very-rare-green-lens

Last edited:
The eBay seller lists this roof as a Nikon 8x32 High Grade (HG), but this is not an 8x32 HG. It has two-toned rubber armor, 7.4* FOV rather than 7.8*,the eyecups are fold-down rubber, not twist-ups, and the focus knob is not the right shape and has no identification markings. He later calls them nikon zoom 8x32 dcf hp ra and lists these specs:

Max Magnification: 12x
Type: Binoculars
Features: Zoom Lens

An uncle Tonoose No Prize to the first person to correctly identify what the heck these are.

NIKON-HIGH-GRADE-8-x-32-BINOCULARS-very-rare-green-lens

Nikon Execulite II.

They aren't zooms, but the original Execulites (which were much more expensively built) were, I think, considered part of the Nikon High Grade series. The LeTour zoom was also part of that series I believe. I can look it up later in an old brochure if desired.
--AP

Last edited:
Introduced in 1984, Nikon D CF RC Execulite II Criterion.

Alexis, you won the prize. Brock, now tell us what that is ???

Jerry

Nikon Execulite II.

They aren't zooms, but the original Execulites (which were much more expensively built) were, I think, considered part of the Nikon High Grade series. The LeTour zoom was also part of that series I believe. I can look it up later in an old brochure if desired.
--AP

Thanks, AP. The name sounds familiar but I couldn't place the "face." If I still had my digital chronology of Nikon binoculars, I woul have been able to look it up. When my computer fatally crashed last year, "The List" died with it, and I can't find it now on the Internet. It was a chronological list of each Nikon bin, the name, configuration, and when it was introduced. I can't remember the guy's name who created it, he might have been Dutch (ironic, since Jan would lead us to believe that the Dutch hate Nikons!). Maybe he was a Dane. ;)

Here's your No-Prize. Enjoy!

Adam vs. Bob

Thanks, AP. The name sounds familiar but I couldn't place the "face." If I still had my digital chronology of Nikon binoculars, I woul have been able to look it up. When my computer fatally crashed last year, "The List" died with it, and I can't find it now on the Internet. It was a chronological list of each Nikon bin, the name, configuration, and when it was introduced. I can't remember the guy's name who created it, he might have been Dutch (ironic, since Jan would lead us to believe that the Dutch hate Nikons!). Maybe he was a Dane. ;)

Here's your No-Prize. Enjoy!

Adam vs. Bob

Brock:

The Nikon list I'm using is called "Nikon Catalogus", it requires a
translation, and I would send you a link, but there are several that
come up with that name, and I don't have time right now, to find
it.

Jerry

Did they focus by moving the objectives? The pictures look like they did.

In the case of the original Execulites, I remember that was the case. The Nikon 8x40 Classic Eagle, which was the pinnacle of the Criterion line and which shares several design features with the original Execulites, also focused with moving objectives, but it had a clear window in front of them for waterproofing. I can't remember how the Execulite II focused (I didn't spend much time with them since I wasn't impressed with either their optics or their build, the latter of which seemed cheap compared to all the precise metal parts of the original Execulites), but I agree that it looks like they move the objectives. At the time these came out, I don't remember any roofs with internal focus, so I think everything moved the oculars (though not always with an external yoke) or the objectives. The Leica Ultra Trinovid BA series, which came out a few years later, was distinctive for its internal focus.

--AP

Brock:

The Nikon list I'm using is called "Nikon Catalogus", it requires a
translation, and I would send you a link, but there are several that
come up with that name, and I don't have time right now, to find
it.

Jerry

Thanks, I found it. His name is Hans Braakhuis. Guess not ALL Dutch dislike Nikon products! ;)

Between the page being written in Dutch and having a gazillion links in 13 rows in four columns, it's hard to find the Nikon bin list (excel download). Here's how to find it.

Go to http://www.hansbraakhuis.nl/

Scroll down the page to the end. In the second column from the left, fourth row up from the bottom, above a link in the third row to "Nikon's history," you'll see a link labeled "all Fuji, Nippon Kogaku + Nikon binoculars." Click on that and it will bring up an excel file for Nikon binoculars, which you can either open or download.

He also has the 8x32 Execulite II listed as being made in 1984 (George Orwell was right, but off by a couple decades).

Last edited:
That seller almost always asks a lot for his used binos. I've followed a few of his auctions. He has a lot of binos, I think he has about 400 of them up for auction right now. In some of them, even though the bino is used, he asks more than what they sold for when new. Even for routine brands, not sought-after collectables. For example, he has a discontinued Vortex Spitfire 10x25 up for auction at $139. Eagle Optics sold these brand new for $110. They do appear to be clean and in good shape. He must get his price fairly regularly. And his reviews are very positive.

Last edited:
Thanks, I found it. His name is Hans Braakhuis. Guess not ALL Dutch dislike Nikon products! ;)

Between the page being written in Dutch and having a gazillion links in 13 rows in four columns, it's hard to find the Nikon bin list (excel download). Here's how to find it.

Go to http://www.hansbraakhuis.nl/

Scroll down the page to the end. In the second column from the left, fourth row up from the bottom, above a link in the third row to "Nikon's history," you'll see a link labeled "all Fuji, Nippon Kogaku + Nikon binoculars." Click on that and it will bring up an excel file for Nikon binoculars, which you can either open or download.

He also has the 8x32 Execulite II listed as being made in 1984 (George Orwell was right, but off by a couple decades).

Hans is the chairman of the Dutch N...N fanclub, an obscure group of people who have one thing in common; love makes blind;)

One thing is for sure. If Hans doesn't know it, it is not worth knowing.

Jan

Be careful here...

That seller almost always asks a lot for his used binos. I've followed a few of his auctions. He has a lot of binos, I think he has about 400 of them up for auction right now. In some of them, even though the bino is used, he asks more than what they sold for when new. Even for routine brands, not sought-after collectables. For example, he has a discontinued Vortex Spitfire 10x25 up for auction at $139. Eagle Optics sold these brand new for $110. They do appear to be clean and in good shape. He must get his price fairly regularly. And his reviews are very positive.

Be careful with this seller. I bought one from him not too long ago on Ebay, and he gave me a hard time about returning it, even though there was a wide split in the focus wheel outer cover. Of course, that was not described in the sale post description, and he just said, well, they are used binoculars, and have some minor defects at times-they are not new!

Finally, with Ebay's help, I returned them for a full refund. Now I don't even look at his offerings. The view out was not great either, as always touted by him!

$479.00 is steep for used 30 year old Nikon roof prism binoculars. Wow...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back