• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One month until the seabirds are here! (1 Viewer)

Spent today on Anglesey, North Wales, looks like they are already on the way. We saw several Gannet, double figures of Black Guillemot, common Guillemot, Razorbill and quite a few sea ducks, including Eider and Common scoter. Keep a watch as they may here sooner than you think. Neil.

First Puffin on the sea off Portland Bill the other day (still just about breeding up there). Manxies down in Cornwall too.

But yes, on the breeding cliffs and in numbers, well worth looking forward to!! ;)

Last edited:
Auk colonies are one of the things I most miss since I left the UK in 1982. Here in Lagos, Portugal I see Puffins on northbound migration as late as early April - my two highest counts are:

23-03-1998 - c.200 birds in 1 hour
03-04-1998 - 123 birds in 2 hours

one of the highlights of the year for me,i have a seabird colony within 18 miles of me (arbroath)and i spend many hours here enjoying the sight and sounds of the auks/fulmars/smaller birds ,i also have a larger breeding population 70 miles away, (fowlsheugh) 10,000s of birds,i try to visit here once a year, i also have the bass rock (gannets) about a similar distance ,there is something about seabird colonys which has always facinated me,maybe it is the large numbers of birds or the easy viewing who knows, personally i cant wait

Has anyone any idiea when the puffins will be on the farne isles, as we have booked a long weekend 25th march, and we are hoping to see them, thanks

We Guillimots on the cliffs, They come and go of course but at least they are back. We have also had the first report of puffins on the sea last week.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back