• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The P1000 is big (1 Viewer)

Niels, seems to have sharpened all my shots. I definitely move the camera when pressing the shutter. This can be seen when I take a burst, which I do most of the time. A burst of 7 shots shows this movement quite clearly as “upward to the left” This does not happen when using a tripod or fixed bench mount.
Without going in to a discussion on noise, sensor size and all the other perceived faults of this camera, I can only say that I am very satisfied with the images I am now getting, most are showing quite a lot of fine detail ��

The last two shots I posted, the bee and the parakeet are good examples of the versatility of the camera, which is exactly what it was designed for.

Den

Last edited:
What do you reckon for Hand holding, going to Peru in June, don't really want to lug a Tripod, also got the IR remote shutter, so that will help hopefully

Depends on several things:
1 are you taking a photo of a bird sitting in one place or one that is moving
-- and related to that, are you taking a series of not of shuts?
2 what zoom level are you using

at max zoom you will need a very short shutter time for a moving bird (1/1000 to 1/2000?) but if the bird is still and you take many shots some of them will be fine with longer shutter, and with less zoom, again a longer shutter will work.

Niels

Martin, most pics are handheld, the VR is extremely effective.

Neil’s, for example, if I use the Bird or Auto setting in good light, then most pics will be at about 1/200, OK but if I set the shutter speed to 1/1000 and take the same pic then the pics are sharper.
I almost always do a burst of 3 or more.

Den

Going just to shoot on the hoof, i had a P900 so i'm Au fait with the workings, either Custom settings for Extended zoom, and macro, and Shutter priority for the Speed as Poldark said,

Another Nuthatch pic

https://flic.kr/p/2eYhsbd

and I was quite pleased with this, https://flic.kr/p/24oBUpT

Den

I'm planning on some new camera gear in the next 6 to 9 months, and on the basis of this, am considering the P1000. I'm viewing your image on a 25" calibrated NEC monitor, zoomed in so from beak tip to LH wingbase is about 6" and cannot see any image degredation.

Those who have been on this site a while may recall that I championed the Fuji HS50, now I find IQ of this camera just not good enough.

Yes, the P1000 is big. The lens cap is 77mm, the same size as a Canon 100-400mm.

On eBay, someone is selling the P1000 for £620, being Swiss, I wonder whether this is a grey import.

Also, when the camera runs out of buffer, then refusing to take any more pictures until images are written to card. Any recommended fast cards?

Last edited:
I'm in the same position as you Kenneth. Do note that the picture of the Nuthatch wasn't using all of the zoom, in fact in 35mm format, it was using 1300mm or the available 3000mm. The quality still is quite impressive. As far as I am aware, images do lose quite a bit of quality at full zoom as previously said and shown in photos although, for record shots, photos at 3000mm could be a game changer for me as long as the quality is half decent.

Of course, it's big. If I were you, I would go to a local photographic store (mine is Wex) and actually try carrying the P1000 around the store to see how heavy it is, preferably using a bag/neck strap that you plan to use in the field.

The one on Ebay is almost certainly a grey import. Grey imports have warranty, customs and ethics issues so personally, I would never buy one but it's up to you on whether you buy it.

Regarding memory cards, the P1000 supports UHS-I SD cards. I would recommend this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-SDXC-Memory-Class/dp/B07H9J1YXN/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1 as it has fast write speeds of up to 90MB/s. I would be interested to hear which one Den is using, as maybe that could be a reason behind the buffer problem.

Hope this helps,
Louis

Hi Louis, re the "buffer problem" it is/was all down to my impatience. Trying to fire off a second burst to soon. Doesn't happen now as I am aware that there is a short delay after firing off a burst of 7, and generally only fire off 2 or 3 shots. I also had the same "problem" with my P900 :) Maybe this happens with any camera if you don't give it time to clear the buffer? I have no experience of any others.
I am using manual a lot, especially long range birds on the ground/island, one thing where the 1000 scores really well. in fact, I have come to realise just what an asset it is to be able to switch a button and then a quick turn of the ring and the peaking tells me when to fire off the shutter.

Yes it is a lump but that is down to the huge lens, but if you want the ability to get really good shots at long range then you will have to suffer that no matter what combination you buy.

Memory card is a Sandisc Extreme pro 128.

Just for the record, I got a burst of 7 with an Egyptian goose flying straight at me, I swung the camera around and picked it up at about 120 yards away and all the shots were sharp.

https://flic.kr/p/2grbQVh 216mm 1/1000sec Iso 140 and F4.5 Shutter priority

This one at about 80 yds https://flic.kr/p/2grbSMP 1100mm 1/1000sec F5.6 ISO 160

the Gull was defending its chicks, but I think the Egret just wanted to say hello :)

I have to say the P1000 is a joy to use...………...

Den

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back