• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 500mm f 7.2 (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

Hi all.I know this lens will only work wide open on my 350d but as I normally shoot at f7.1 or f8 will I retain the same depth of field.Also will I get the same shutter speeds as I would if I was using my 135-400mm at f7.1?I have a chance of one going cheap cheap cheap.Just wondered if it was worth buying for distant shots.
Cheers,Mike.

500 7.2? ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
You'll have to stop it down to f16 maybe to get the best out of it. You'd be quicker drawing the bird!!!

I used to have one of these Sigma 500mm f7.2 lenses in the early nineties, it was a cracking lens wide open, although focussing was a bit slow; I never used it stopped down to more than f8. I also used it in conjunction with a Nikon T16AF Teleconverter, once again with some good results. Like all 500mm telephoto lenses you have to make sure you have it rock solid for the best results, even more so with this lens.

Thanks Nirofo.Like I said it wouldnt really be used as my main lens just something cheap that would take a decent record shot where DOF etc wouldnt really matter.I try to use a tripod wherever possible.

Hi Mike,

I've always had a version of this lens with whichever Canon I've had and used it with my 20D until i got my 100-400 earlier this year - now it just sits gathering dust.

You're correct that it only works wide open as they cannot be re-chipped but I did find that it registered as an f5.6 lens on both the EOS-5 and the 20D so needed to be used 1 stop underexposed to get the correct exposure under normal conditions.

As for distance work for small subjects, even on a tripod, they are not incredible in terms of IQ but this does improve as your subjects get closer. I used it with a reasonable amount of success on SEOs at about 100+ yards range 2 winters ago and also while shooting aircraft at air displays that were out of the range of my 75-300 USM I had at the time.

It's a decent lens for the money and is an ideal travel lens as it's light and small. Before Mike McDonnell passed away I remember him telling me on Scilly one year that he only ever took one of these away on holiday abroad rather than his Canon f4.5 version as it was great when the light was better than it generally is in the UK.

HTH

Dave.

PS What do you describe as "cheap cheap cheap"??

PS What do you describe as "cheap cheap cheap"??

Hi Dave.Well it isnt actually going to cost me anything.I won a £100 voucher in a local photography competition to spend in my local camera shop.To be honest I am not really looking for anything but spotted this lens on their website for £100.I just thought it may be worth buying just for distant record shots wide open and possibly with my Kenko 1.4x TC.

I look forward to your 1st pics with it Mike, I am sure you can make it talk !!
Well I got the lens and took my first pic with it this evening.OK it aint a pic of a bird but I think it shows what the lens is capable of.Taken handheld with pop up flash at 1/200th,f7.2 from about twenty feet.If I can get shots as sharp as this indoors handheld with it I cant wait to see what its like outside on a tripod.

Attachments

• IMG_0545 copy_filtered.jpg
    IMG_0545 copy_filtered.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1,443
Looks a well fit "bird" to me lol !! Seriously, looks like you have got yourself another bargain Mike - well down.

Wonder if there are any waders down the feeding station this morning, it's wet enough!!

Managed a shot of a real bird today.The light was truly awful.1/20th sec at iso 800!The lens focusses faster than my 135-400mm zoom too.This is full frame at about 12 feet and I struggled to get him in the frame hence the chopped off tail.I am happy with it anyway.Cant wait for some decent light to give it a real test.

Attachments

• IMG_0574 copy.jpg
    IMG_0574 copy.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 2,105
Mike,

That's a great shot for 1/20th and it is really sharp. It looks like you might have a winning combination there! Looking forward to some pictures in good light.

Cheers
Jon

Managed a shot of a real bird today.The light was truly awful.1/20th sec at iso 800!The lens focusses faster than my 135-400mm zoom too.This is full frame at about 12 feet and I struggled to get him in the frame hence the chopped off tail.I am happy with it anyway.Cant wait for some decent light to give it a real test.

Cheers Jon.I tried it in the house tonight with and without my Kenko 1.4x TC.

Attachments

• IMG_0603 copy.jpg
    IMG_0603 copy.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_0601 copy.jpg
    IMG_0601 copy.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 826
Gee whizz Mike, I reckon you could make sellotaped toliet rolls work well for you - lol. Congrats on winning the photography competition. Was it with a bird photo?

Cheers Tim (lol).Yes it was with this shot of a Little Ringed Plover taken back in the Summer with my faithful old 300d.

Attachments

• IMG_7006.jpg
    IMG_7006.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,641
Congrats for the shot .. and yes, it seems your new toy may be able to produce fine results ... keep shooting (and waiting for finer weather) ;)
Max

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back