• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

English channel (1 Viewer)

birdermoose

birder
I am going on a ferry from Dover to Calais in late July and I wondered what sea birds could I pick up on this trip?
Any help would be great
Hadden

If you're lucky you should connect with any of the following:

Manx Shearwater
Great Skua
Arctic Skua
Yellow-legged Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Sandwich Tern
Common Tern
Arctic Tern

as well as commoner gull species and probably Guillemot

If you're lucky you should connect with any of the following:

Manx Shearwater
Great Skua
Arctic Skua
Yellow-legged Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Sandwich Tern
Common Tern
Arctic Tern

as well as commoner gull species and probably Guillemot
Fantastic!
Thanks ever so much for the info There is a few lifers in that list so I am hoping!(for good weather)

That list sounds a tad optimistic. Are skuas really likely in July?

Never really looked seriously from a cross channel ferry but guillemots and gannets are about all I've managed.

fairly regular crossing point for me and as stated all the above are possible but don't get your hopes up - tends to be a Gull and Gannet fest...

If you see a few Gannets feeding rember to look out for Harbour Porpoise, I had one in June, just outside of Dover.

I did have my one and only Great Shearwater from the Dover- Calais ferry many years ago. I'd assume you would need pretty rough weather over the Bay of Biscay in the days preceding your trip to hopefully push the good stuff up the Channel.

Phil

fairly regular crossing point for me and as stated all the above are possible but don't get your hopes up - tends to be a Gull and Gannet fest...

If you see a few Gannets feeding rember to look out for Harbour Porpoise, I had one in June, just outside of Dover.
That all right! A Gannet would be a dream bird its one I have all ways missed and to me they are stunning birds.

possible seabird :

common scoter
fulmar
manx shearwater (possible if there are NW wind in the North sea od SW wind in the channel)
balearic shearwater (possible but scarce...greater chance if there is SW wind in the Channel)
gannet (sometimes with the gulls at a few meters from the ferry!)
arctic skua (not very common at this time of year but you have good chance. Bonxie and pomarines possible but far more rare)
med gull (I've seen big flock once in july off Calais)
kittiwake
terns (little, sandwich and common)
guillemot / razorbill (rare in july)

Harbour porpoise are often seen from the ferry and I've seen bottlenose dolphin last year.

FD

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back