Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

No retro Trinovids after all?

Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 02:06   #26
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfield View Post
My dealer wrote me to suggest cancelling my order of the Trinovid 7x35 and that's what I did. Poor style of Leica to announce a new product at such an immature stage. Poor business decision as well, the enthusiasm and momentum generated by the announcement of these binoculars seems gone.
I agree.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 08:01   #27
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfield View Post
My dealer wrote me to suggest cancelling my order of the Trinovid 7x35 and that's what I did. Poor style of Leica to announce a new product at such an immature stage. Poor business decision as well, the enthusiasm and momentum generated by the announcement of these binoculars seems gone.
Flatfield,

Do you know if your Leica dealer suggested this because he was informed it won't come or is it because it takes so long?

Jan
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 09:50   #28
flatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
Flatfield,
Do you know if your Leica dealer suggested this because he was informed it won't come or is it because it takes so long?Jan
Jan, according to my dealer, Leica "indicated it could be several months before they are able to supply." They were unable to provide an acurate ETA.

Meanwhile, I ordered a Nikon 8x30 EII.
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 12:26   #29
Gijs van Ginkel

flatfield, post 28,
The Nikon EII is not waterproof, I mention it since many on this forum used loads of words to stress that the new Trinovids should/must be waterproof otherwise........disaster.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 21:30   #30
flatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
The Nikon EII is not waterproof
Gijs van Ginkel
I know, Gijs. It's pretty dry where I live, no problem. The EII will replace a Binuxit that is not waterproof either. The Binuxit was confiscated by my 5-year old son. But back to the Trinovid...
Groetjes, Joachim (ex-Tilburg)
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 22:01   #31
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
... let's hope these outnumber those who are carping about waterproofing (of which how many ever get their binoculars wet enough that their full waterproofing - ie. ability to withstand immersion - is tested?).
And how well does that ability perform when tested anyway? The #1 finding of the Allbinos endurance comparison test (mentioned in a recent thread here) was that Ultravids leaked like sieves when fully immersed. Perhaps the carping is entirely pointless,and all that really counts is Leica's commitment to warranty repair/replacement.
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 22:26   #32
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
And how well does that ability perform when tested anyway? The #1 finding of the Allbinos endurance comparison test (mentioned in a recent thread here) was that Ultravids leaked like sieves when fully immersed. Perhaps the carping is entirely pointless,and all that really counts is Leica's commitment to warranty repair/replacement.

I remember reading an article a few years ago by Terry Wieland, Shooting Editor of Gray's Sporting Journal, about how he tested binoculars for water proofing.

It seems that he tied them to a long length of heavy twine and threw them off a dock into 6 feet or so a water and left them there overnight. If they hadn't leaked by breakfast the next morning they passed the test.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 23:21   #33
NDhunter

Quote:
flatfield, post 28,
The Nikon EII is not waterproof, I mention it since many on this forum used loads of words to stress that the new Trinovids should/must be waterproof otherwise........disaster.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs:

I am not sure why you mentioned a Nikon binocular in this discussion,
as this is a Leica topic.

Those that would purchase a Nikon EII, are not concerned a bit about
waterproofness.

Tell us more about that.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 23:29   #34
NDhunter

For those wondering, I suppose Leica will provide more information about the new Trinovid, when they are ready to.

It seems some on here are impatient, and I am not sure why.

Just relax.. it is just a new binocular..

Jerry
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 06:50   #35
Gijs van Ginkel

Jerry, post 33,
The reason why, see post 28.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 07:33   #36
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
Jan:

Peter

PS. Seriously, my contact works for Leica Camera's CS in Germany, and given my previous experience I have hardly any reason not to trust him.

A contact within Leica has confirmed that there has been no announcement that this project is cancelled but that it is clear that deliveries will be subject to delays, probably long delays.

Lee
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 15:23   #37
BinoBoy

The Leica rep at the Space Coast Birding Festival says that the retro Trinovids have been delayed indefinitely. He has not been told why.
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 15:38   #38
ceasar

Quote:
flatfield, post 28,
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

Some people can never be satisfied.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 16:32   #39
BruceH
BF Supporter 2019

Doug of Cameraland is currently attending the Shot Show in Las Vegas and has posted on another site that "The classic Trinovid has been delayed probably till years end". Sounds like it is still a possibility.

As a side note, he also said "There is no Noctivid 32 on the immediate horizon".

The IWA Outdoor Show starts March 9th, 2018 in Germany. Maybe some attendees can get more specific information then. Birdfair starts August 17th, 2018.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 27th January 2018, 00:38   #40
Patudo

My brother recently dropped by Leica Mayfair and was (for what that's worth) told they would be in "in the latter half of the year". They are certainly being advertised - https://leicastore-mayfair.co.uk/collections/trinovids

I do wonder, incidentally, how prices of old Leitz Trinovids may, or may not, be affected once these appear. Will demand for the one ones fall now that you can get a classic Trinovid with phase-coated prisms and multi-coated lenses (albeit at considerably more than the old ones - expensive though they are - would cost), or do the buyers that want the Leitz models want those and those only?
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 05:52   #41
Hermann

There's been a posting in the German forum that the retro Trinovids have been put back to autumn 2019 (!!!) due to a lack of manufacturing capacity: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/r...378#msg-438378

Well done, Leica.

Hermann
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 09:42   #42
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
There's been a posting in the German forum that the retro Trinovids have been put back to autumn 2019 (!!!) due to a lack of manufacturing capacity: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/r...378#msg-438378

Well done, Leica.

Hermann
Mmmmm, getting informed via Forums.

Indeed, very well done Leica

Jan
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 13:52   #43
gunut
Registered Offender

sounds to me like putting the best possible spin on it....
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 14:59   #44
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Perhaps they will move production overseas and save $$.

A.W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 15:49   #45
Patudo

Danke schoen Hermann - very interesting discussion in that thread, especially the comments from Holger on the difficulty in reproducing the build quality of the Leitz versions, and that the 1960s era eyepieces, phase coating and improved light transmission notwithstanding, will not equal modern eyepieces in edge sharpness and correction of chromatic aberration. This Trinovid classic reissue is clearly a significantly more challenging project than most of us (and probably Leica themselves) initially thought - it'll be interesting to see what the final product, and its pricing, will be.

Last edited by Patudo : Saturday 3rd February 2018 at 16:00.
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 17:07   #46
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
Danke schoen Hermann - very interesting discussion in that thread, especially the comments from Holger on the difficulty in reproducing the build quality of the Leitz versions, and that the 1960s era eyepieces, phase coating and improved light transmission notwithstanding, will not equal modern eyepieces in edge sharpness and correction of chromatic aberration. This Trinovid classic reissue is clearly a significantly more challenging project than most of us (and probably Leica themselves) initially thought - it'll be interesting to see what the final product, and its pricing, will be.
Seems that the Leica retro design philosophy pushed things a bit too far this time.
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 17:37   #47
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

The Juelich forum discussion suggests that Leica used to have technicians that fine tuned the mechanicals, but that these skills were lost as the people retired.
Restarting the classic Trinovid line is consequently proving much more challenging. Hence the two year delay.
Unfortunately the meter keeps running even if there are no sales. Expect to pay more to repay these costs.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 19:37   #48
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
The Juelich forum discussion suggests ...
Just for those who don't read German: The post suggesting the delay to 2019 is from the optics dealer who runs the forum, who says he got that info from Leica. The rest is speculation by the forum users...
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 21:54   #49
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
Just for those who don't read German: The post suggesting the delay to 2019 is from the optics dealer who runs the forum, who says he got that info from Leica. The rest is speculation by the forum users...
99% of all rumor is founded on fact.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th February 2018, 07:23   #50
Elmer Fudd

Seems to me that it is time for Leica/former Leitz to relocate their production facilities into one or two of the retirement homes in Wetzlar and the surrounding area to reactivate the old guy and gals from former times when the world was still in order.

Or to get one of the old Trinovids and only use them when it's not pouring rain outside.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: