• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October 2018 at Gramborough (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

And I thought September was bad: most of the month featured only common birds !

How can this have been October ? ONE WARBLER ALL MONTH. Yellow-broweds all around, but The Hill shunned. No Redstarts (only one this year), no Pied Flies, no shrikes (4 years, now).

31: 02♪.
30: 02♪.
29: 2 Goldcrests, 2 Robins.
28: 02♪. (Later, reliable observer saw Goldcrest, Robin.)
27: Pom Skua ad. (with attached cutlery handles) over The Hill.
25: 2 Stonechats (ad. ♂♀).
24: 02♪.
23: 02♪.
22: FINALLY ! ***SibeChat*** makes a brief foray to The Hill, in the company of a pair (♂♀) of ‘ours’, before retreating to its Meadow Lane haunt.
21: 02♪.
20: 02♪.
19: Yellowhammer ↑W, Chaffinch ↑W, Grey Wagtail ↑W, Merlin. (The SibeChat came within 50m of where I could tick it as being on The Hill !)
17: 4 Goldcrests, 3+ Stonechats.
16: 5+ Goldcrests, ♀ Blackcap, Grey Wagtail ↑E, Robin (1st since April !), 2 Blackbirds, 2 Song Thrushes, 3 Wheatears, 3+ Stonechats.
14: 2 Blackbirds, 4 Stonechats (2 ad. ♂♂♀♀).
13: 2+ Blue Tits.
12: Redwing.
11: 5 Blackbirds (2+ Continental), 3 Song Thrushes, 2 Redwings, 3 Stonechats, 1 Lapland Bunting ↑W. (RBA reported 2 Shorelarks in/off & ↑S.)
10: 5 Greenfinches, 2 Blue Tits, 2 Wheatears.
9: 2♀♀ Stonechats.
8: Redwing, ♂ Stonechat.
7: 3 Stonechats (2 ad. ♂♂, 1♀), Fieldfare, 3 Lapland Buntings ↑W.
6: Wheatear.
5: 4 Stonechats (inc. 2 ad. ♂♂, 1W♂ - one with metal ring), Wheatear.
4: 4 Stonechats (inc. 2 ad. ♂♂), Wheatear. 2 Buzzards in/off 1154h, then ↑W. 4 Bearded Tits over reeds by Beach Rd. (midday+). Jack Snipe flushed late a’noon.
3: 02♪.
2: Dunnock.
1: 02♪.

Attachments

• P1990409ed migrant Blue Tit.jpg
    P1990409ed migrant Blue Tit.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 37
  • P1990716ed40 migrant Goldcrest.jpg
    P1990716ed40 migrant Goldcrest.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 38
  • P1990772ed40 migrant Goldcrest.jpg
    P1990772ed40 migrant Goldcrest.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 35
  • P2000128ed40 Siberian Stonechat @ Gramboro.jpg
    P2000128ed40 Siberian Stonechat @ Gramboro.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 54
Can’t see the wood for the trees ?

It’s interesting how one’s memory works. Looking at last year’s October [https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3639000&postcount=1], it’s hardly any less encouraging - or, is it more ?

John Heywood's 1546 glossary A dialogue conteinyng the nomber in effect of all the prouerbes in the englishe tongue* also has:

“An olde saied sawe, itche and ease, can no man please.
Plentie is no deyntie . ye see not your owne ease.
I see, ye can not see the wood for trees.”

Another poetical offering, this of much more dubious worth, runs:

“Some folks spend their lives as a banker;
Whilst others drive car, truck, or tanker.
But, Our Mr G
Is from all this quite free –
He’s the UK’s unrivalled top-ranker !”

Try as hard as I might, I was, for some reason, unable to insert my “r” where it should go. Please whack (à la Jamie Oliver) the correct letter into the welcoming space.

[* You might have thought some of the spelling on Twitter was bad ! However, this was written before we had a standardised orthography.]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back