Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

7x42 Ultravid

Old Wednesday 13th March 2019, 16:34   #26
eronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
The special "sparkle" of the HD-Plus models seems to be apparent to some viewers. I got that impression as well when trying them. They just looked a bit more transparent.

But I also recall that Gijs measured the Plus-models and think he said the difference in transmission would be "negligible" or very small/hardly visible compared to the previous version?

One theory is that it might be differences in coatings between older and newer Ultravid HD (non-plus) models as well. Sometimes there are silent updates on coatings. And who knows when HT-glass was actually first introduced in the Ultravids...?
If I get a letter from Leica saying they are ok, then I can simply ebay them and get something brighter. A used sale of an Ultravid HD will just about get me a perfectly decent pair of Zeiss Conquest and lunch, I think. I would prefer of course to have a pair of bright Leica binos and buy my own lunch. I have hopes that Leica Germany will solve the issue somehow.

Edmund

Last edited by eronald : Wednesday 13th March 2019 at 16:42.
Old Wednesday 13th March 2019, 17:19   #27
Mike F

I have to say that I find this very puzzling. I have the 7x42 UVHD+ and I certainly see ‘sparkle’. However I also have a 2012-15 8x42 Trinovid, which according to some has the same optics as the original UV. However, the optics certainly cannot be better than the original UV, and yet, and even considering the fact that it’s 8x and not 7x, I would still not dream of describing it as dull in comparison to the 7x42+. Lacking that special sparkle that the 7x42+ has? - yes. Not as bright as the 7x42+? - yes. Dull - definitely not! There has to be something wrong with your 7x42’s.
Old Wednesday 13th March 2019, 20:25   #28
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by eronald View Post
If I get a letter from Leica saying they are ok, then I can simply ebay them and get something brighter. A used sale of an Ultravid HD will just about get me a perfectly decent pair of Zeiss Conquest and lunch, I think. I would prefer of course to have a pair of bright Leica binos and buy my own lunch. I have hopes that Leica Germany will solve the issue somehow.

Edmund
Edmund, just a thought which I expect you have already considered and acted on yourself... are the objective lenses dusty from years of lying in a shop? I ask because a pair of UVHDs I used to have (eights which I sold in p/ex for my amazingly good new sevens) gave a surprisingly degraded image as a result of just a thin layer of dust, itself a result of my not fitting the objective caps. The difference after a careful clean was very pleasing.

I now take the advice Leica always gives in regard to its camera lenses: if possible don't clean the lenses, but keep them clean in the first place!

Tom
Old Wednesday 13th March 2019, 20:56   #29
eronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomPerched View Post
Edmund, just a thought which I expect you have already considered and acted on yourself... are the objective lenses dusty from years of lying in a shop? I ask because a pair of UVHDs I used to have (eights which I sold in p/ex for my amazingly good new sevens) gave a surprisingly degraded image as a result of just a thin layer of dust, itself a result of my not fitting the objective caps. The difference after a careful clean was very pleasing.

I now take the advice Leica always gives in regard to its camera lenses: if possible don't clean the lenses, but keep them clean in the first place!

Tom

They were dusty, oculars too, I cleaned them.
There might be some chemical deposit which I'm not seeing.
We'll see how it goes.

Edmund
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 11:53   #30
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
The special "sparkle" of the HD-Plus models seems to be apparent to some viewers. I got that impression as well when trying them. They just looked a bit more transparent.

But I also recall that Gijs measured the Plus-models and think he said the difference in transmission would be "negligible" or very small/hardly visible compared to the previous version?

One theory is that it might be differences in coatings between older and newer Ultravid HD (non-plus) models as well. Sometimes there are silent updates on coatings. And who knows when HT-glass was actually first introduced in the Ultravids...?
I certainly didn't see any sparkle, I did think maybe the + was just a bit more color neutral, but even then only noticed it in side/side comparison against a truly white testing surface. I tried them (8x models) side by side for several hours with some colleagues in the field. Fun stuff, but again shows the different views different eyes will produce through the same model.

Justin
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 12:18   #31
Mike F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
I certainly didn't see any sparkle, I did think maybe the + was just a bit more color neutral, but even then only noticed it in side/side comparison against a truly white testing surface. I tried them (8x models) side by side for several hours with some colleagues in the field. Fun stuff, but again shows the different views different eyes will produce through the same model.

Justin
Just for the record, and I know this is totally subjective anyway, but it’s the 7x42 HD+ which some described as having a special brightness or sparkle, not the 8x.
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 21:26   #32
eronald

BTW, I called Leica customer service Germany, explained that Leica St Honoré had refused to acknowledge my brand new UV HD were under direct warranty,and had refused to check the warranty box on the service receipt. I emailed Leica customer care Germany the receipt that documents this fact, as well as the binos filled in warranty card. I asked them to track the issues. The lady in Germany had told me that anyway her colleagues in Portugal would deal with whatever it is.

So in due course I hope to get back my bino in factory spec, and enjoy the viewing, and have the matter closed. As an artist my observations through are only a few seconds at a time, enough to fix detail and draw it, but I still need a pair of binos that is "perceptually transparent".

Edmund

Last edited by eronald : Friday 15th March 2019 at 21:31.
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 21:51   #33
F88

I hope it works out well for you Edmund.
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 22:14   #34
eronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by F88 View Post
I hope it works out well for you Edmund.

Thank you. I have confidence in Leica Germany.

All of this is a minor and hopefully temporary annoyance with a hobby item, not a major life issue :)

Edmund
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 23:47   #35
F88

Quote:
Thank you. I have confidence in Leica Germany.

All of this is a minor and hopefully temporary annoyance with a hobby item, not a major life issue :)

Edmund

Good to hear and positive perspective.
Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 17:58   #36
JabaliHunter

Quote:
I know Leica will bring out some new 7x product or products in the autumn
Sounds interesting...
Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 23:15   #37
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
I know Leica will bring out some new 7x product or products in the autumn..
You do?
Care to elaborate?
If true, and whether they be Noctivids or 32mm Uvids, people here are interested in what you know.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th March 2019, 00:41   #38
eronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
You do?
Care to elaborate?
If true, and whether they be Noctivids or 32mm Uvids, people here are interested in what you know.
At the moment all I want is my 7x42 UV HD back from repair, and nice bright and contrasty, as I kind of like the model :)

When I've scratched my itch, we can deal with yours :)

Edmund
Old Wednesday 20th March 2019, 00:53   #39
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Yeah, I don’t know what any of that means.
I’ll go by the assumption that you don’t have any special knowledge about this and that it was a throwaway comment

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th March 2019, 01:01   #40
eronald

On a totally unrelated note, do people here feel that at age 60+ one gets more out of an 8x42 than an 8x32 daytime? In other words is the UV 42 superior in practice to the 32?

Edmund
Old Wednesday 20th March 2019, 02:02   #41
ceasar

Edmund,

As Tom has already mentioned in post #28, I also noticed your comment in post #18 about cleaning "5 years of display case dust from the oculars."

If the binocular had been sitting around the shop that long with potential buyers looking through it I would consider it to be a Demo and I think it would warrant a professional cleaning from Leica.

I think you will notice a difference in brightness after that.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 20th March 2019 at 02:09.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th March 2019, 08:06   #42
eronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Edmund,

As Tom has already mentioned in post #28, I also noticed your comment in post #18 about cleaning "5 years of display case dust from the oculars."

If the binocular had been sitting around the shop that long with potential buyers looking through it I would consider it to be a Demo and I think it would warrant a professional cleaning from Leica.

I think you will notice a difference in brightness after that.

Bob
We think alike!
Edmund
Old Thursday 21st March 2019, 21:23   #43
NDhunter

Quote:
You do?
Care to elaborate?
Kevin:

I agree with you, the proclamation of error-nald of a new 7x Leica is suspect.

But he was right, these are just binoculars, and not important in the end.

Jerry
Old Friday 22nd March 2019, 03:08   #44
eronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Kevin:

I agree with you, the proclamation of error-nald of a new 7x Leica is suspect.

But he was right, these are just binoculars, and not important in the end.

Jerry
Jerry

Such detachment. I now understand why you cancelled your order for those pretty but quite useless 407 13.

Edmund
Old Friday 22nd March 2019, 12:15   #45
dalat

Quote:
I know Leica will bring out some new 7x product or products in the autumn..
Quote:
You do?
Care to elaborate?
If true, most likely those retro Trinovid 7x35, which were cancelled a while ago, or according to some, postponed to 2019.
Old Friday 22nd March 2019, 15:13   #46
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
If true, most likely those retro Trinovid 7x35, which were cancelled a while ago, or according to some, postponed to 2019.
I forgot about those.
I wouldn’t count on any of it though.

Old Saturday 23rd March 2019, 03:18   #47
eronald

I've been thinking about my UV glasses, and maybe they've been sitting in a display case with thermal cycling in a display case for 5 years or so the nitrogen leaked out, and the prisms lost some reflectivity.

I don't know how long the seals really last in real life. Maybe the Leica glasses only have a limited lifespan if the seals and the nitrogen aren't regularly topped up.

Porro prism designs don't have this issue because they don't need the high-reflection coatings.

Edmund

Last edited by eronald : Saturday 23rd March 2019 at 03:35.
Old Saturday 23rd March 2019, 13:46   #48
SeldomPerched

Quote:
On a totally unrelated note, do people here feel that at age 60+ one gets more out of an 8x42 than an 8x32 daytime? In other words is the UV 42 superior in practice to the 32?

Edmund
As I don't think anyone has answered this question (unless I've missed a post) I'll have a go but please bear in mind that the response is unscientific, just a personal perception with the usual caveats thrown in.

My age is now 63. Personally I still GENERALLY prefer the VIEW through 42s - and that includes in good daylight. But there is also the business of compromise and reconciling the different features of binoculars. On balance I prefer using 32s in good light despite the foregoing, because they are lighter to carry around. But then again 32s tend to be a lot fiddlier to get right at the ocular end...

I think you have to make your own comparison, weighing up what works for you and what aspect of performance, handling, etc is most important to you.

Others on this forum will have far more experience than I do. This is just my starter for ten.

Tom

Edit/addendum: I nearly missed your mention of UV in this reply. As it happens two of my favourite binoculars are the Ultravid HD Plus 7x42 and 8x32. Luckily the handling of both suits me well. I can't say one is better than the other but they are slightly different. Each is so good though that any possible shortcomings in image quality, real or imagined, can quickly be put aside. They are both tremendously fun to use is my instinctive verdict. Even the bigger glass is pretty compact for a 42, and the 32 is a real jewel if the small size works for you as well as it does for me in handling. A review by Tobias Mennle suggests that the 32 is slightly darker in rendering, bringing with it however an increase in colour saturation. This is not something I'd care to pronounce on myself. The image quality is superb in both. You mentioned of course in the relevant post the 8x42 (not the 7x which I note you own) and the size and weight of that is very close to the 7. I had a pair and once I had cleaned the lenses (back to the original discussion!) they were great too.

Last edited by SeldomPerched : Saturday 23rd March 2019 at 14:08. Reason: Omission
Old Saturday 23rd March 2019, 17:38   #49
mwhogue

Tom,

Outstanding post and well written. Must admit to being prejudiced as I love the UV HD + in 7x42, 10x32 and 10x50. Panning /scanning with the 7 is especially addictive at middle distance. My guess is this is due in part to the wide FOV and excellent DOF. My 7 may be a mechanical cherry in that its focus knob is better than the others and very nearly as good as EDG. It's a definite factor in making the 7 my favorite between the three.
Old Sunday 24th March 2019, 18:55   #50
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhogue View Post
Tom,

Outstanding post and well written. Must admit to being prejudiced as I love the UV HD + in 7x42, 10x32 and 10x50. Panning /scanning with the 7 is especially addictive at middle distance. My guess is this is due in part to the wide FOV and excellent DOF. My 7 may be a mechanical cherry in that its focus knob is better than the others and very nearly as good as EDG. It's a definite factor in making the 7 my favorite between the three.
Thank you for the kind comment, MWH. Yes, a lot of us love the 7s for the reasons you mention. And I love the 8x32 UVHD+ as it's just so compact. I wish Leica could produce a little 7x28 UVHD+ in the same size as the 8x32. Funny about your mechanical cherry -- much the same experience with me comparing the 8x42 UVHD non+ that I sold for the outstanding 7x42 UVHD+ I replaced it with. Sadly the 7s are out of fashion despite their many advantages; I wonder if the pendulum will swing the other way at some point.

Tom
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: