• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket cameras (1 Viewer)

bkrownd

I was thinking of getting a simple compact pocket camera like a Canon S120 for quickly documenting small plants, insects and snails, but it seems that this sensible model line ends at the S120, and that Canon replaced it with other model lines that aren't quite equivalent?

So, for anyone in the know, I'm guessing that the S120 is still the best option for my purpose? (The G7 is twice the price, so not an option.) I don't want a larger sensor (depth of field, price) or larger zoom range (compromised optics). It seems the only big knock on the S120 is lack of a panorama/"stitching" mode.

Last edited:
As a happy sometime user of a Canon S90, the several iterations older version of your S120, I too see no compelling benefit in the subsequent offerings Canon proposed to replace this series. In fact, budget constrained buyers will be very happy even with the earlier S90, S95, S100 and S110 models.

Thanks, I ordered a refurb'd S110 from Canon. Hoping I'll start taking lots of snail and bug photos with it.

Have you tried the HF-DC2 flash with yours?

Last edited:
Thanks, I ordered a refurb'd S110 from Canon. Hoping I'll start taking lots of snail and bug photos with it.

Have you tried the HF-DC2 flash with yours?

Sorry, I've not had any experience with this ancillary flash.
Judging by the user reviews on Amazon, it is a powerful unit that does need some careful placement to give good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back