• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tickelliae (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Maybe a valid thought here in Wikipedia.

and probably one species after his wife, given the feminine form, though this isn't made clear in the original description:

Tickell's blue flycatcher, Cyornis tickelliae.

Here is the OD. If we accept it, it is probably Marie Georgina Tickell né Templer (1825-1918) here.

As the first child was born 1845 and the OD is around this time possible.

Not sure what Blyth meant with:

apud Tickell, J.A.S. II, 574

J.A.S. = The Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal

Take this for what it´s worth.*

* Björn in many posts ;)

The reference to "J.A.S. II, 574" that Blyth mentioned (in December 1842, published -43) when he coined the name "C. [Cyornis] Tickelliæ" is this one, ten years earlier.

However no mentioning of any Mrs Tickell ... and how could it? As there, in any of those years, doesn´t seem to have been a Mrs Tickell. That is, not of "our" guy.

Lieutentant Samuel Richard Tickell apparently married Maria Georgina Templer in 1844.

For what it is worth. ;)

Björn
--

Last edited:
I just realized there is an i in tickelliae. Maybe indicating not a feminine form? I remember Laurent often enough explained that ae is not necessarily feminine. But I am not an expert in Latin grammar.

apud= in

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back