• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Stint or Sanderling (1 Viewer)

Pedley Birder

I saw this bird at Gibraltar Point in September. When it arrived the first thing most people said was Sanderling than some of them changed there mind and said Little Stint. Can you please tell me which of the 2 it is
Thanks
Sam

Attachments

• Little Stinta.jpg
    Little Stinta.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 519
Little Stint for me too. If you have Collins guide, checkout p123 for a Little Stint in similar pose showing many features common with your photo.

Pedley Birder said:
I saw this bird at Gibraltar Point in September. When it arrived the first thing most people said was Sanderling than some of them changed there mind and said Little Stint. Can you please tell me which of the 2 it is
Thanks
Sam

It would be nice to see better pics of this bird. It has some characteristics resembling juv Red-necked Stint - NOT that I'm saying I think it is one - but learning from the Murrelet experience reported elsewhere on this forum I'm expressing my question marks!!

Dave

Dave B said:
It would be nice to see better pics of this bird. It has some characteristics resembling juv Red-necked Stint - NOT that I'm saying I think it is one - but learning from the Murrelet experience reported elsewhere on this forum I'm expressing my question marks!!

Sorry only pic I have before it went around the corner

Pedley Birder said:
Here is a croped version of the pic

Hi Sam

Thanks,

Not as chestnut above as some juv Littles, and quite a slender bird too, which is what got me thinking. Bill is OK for Little though, and shape isn't quite right for RNS either.

Oh well!

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back