• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa eyepieces - 32x wide angle and 50x (1 Viewer)

My Kowa TSN823 has died - a problem inside the body of the scope - but the two eyepieces (32x and 50x, both wide angle) are fine. Please make me an offer if you're interested.

I would love the WA 50 but I don't think it will work with my 884 plus I'm on the wrong side of the pond.
Steve

Hi,

I can't help with the pond side problem, but there is an adapter called TSN-EC2 available from Kowa to mount 820 series EPs on the current large body scopes (880 and 770 series).

See the adapters at the bottom of the page:

http://www.kowaproducts.com/Kowaeyepieces/KowaTE-9Z20-60xzoomeyepiece/

But it's not cheap... $100 or so.

The 50 wide will give a slightly higher magnification on the 880.

Joachim

I bought these two eyepieces and got them early this week...First of all I was surprised about the size ..The 32x is larger than the 50X ,but both are smaller than I thought-.I owned these two same eyepieces a few years back and remembered them to be the same size,and both larger than what they are..So..my question here is ..Are there different versions of the Old kowa 820 eyepieces?,,,probably not,but worth to wonder..
The eyepieces are also different in quality,I did not remember this either..thought they to be equal in the type of coatings and quality of the AR ,but the 50X features much better coatings..Deep green and purple while the 32X has more simple bluish AR coatings,similar to some of the TSN1 series eyepieces..For this reason ,the quality of the image is quite better in certain lights using the 50X..the 50X is very similar in contrast to the Baader Zoom or the BST explorer ,or at least in the same league,but the 32X lacks punch in difficult lights ,like strong frontal sun..In that situation the image gets a bit washed,while the 50X keeps good contrast
Wonderful sharpness can be achieved with both eyepieces ..
So it is surprising that Kowa at the time, released an 82 fluorite scope with excellent AR coatings, made a 50X eyepiece that matched the quality, but released the battlehorse eyepiece of that pre-wide-zoom era, the 32X wide, with inferior coatings.
I havent read complaints about this before,and its also surprising because I have read complaints about many things in this forum!
Kowa did upgrade the 32X wide a while later but not the 50X.
Does Anyone know how long the old 32x was in service and if more than one version was ever around?

Last edited:
I bought these two eyepieces and got them early this week...First of all I was surprised about the size ..The 32x is larger than the 50X ,but both are smaller than I thought-.I owned these two same eyepieces a few years back and remembered them to be the same size,and both larger than what they are..So..my question here is ..Are there different versions of the Old kowa 820 eyepieces?,,,probably not,but worth to wonder..
The eyepieces are also different in quality,I did not remember this either..thought they to be equal in the type of coatings and quality of the AR ,but the 50X features much better coatings..Deep green and purple while the 32X has more simple bluish AR coatings,similar to some of the TSN1 series eyepieces..For this reason ,the quality of the image is quite better in certain lights using the 50X..the 50X is very similar in contrast to the Baader Zoom or the BST explorer ,or at least in the same league,but the 32X lacks punch in difficult lights ,like strong frontal sun..In that situation the image gets a bit washed,while the 50X keeps good contrast
Wonderful sharpness can be achieved with both eyepieces ..
So it is surprising that Kowa at the time, released an 82 fluorite scope with excellent AR coatings, made a 50X eyepiece that matched the quality, but released the battlehorse eyepiece of that pre-wide-zoom era, the 32X wide, with inferior coatings.
I havent read complaints about this before,and its also surprising because I have read complaints about many things in this forum!
Kowa did upgrade the 32X wide a while later but not the 50X.
Does Anyone know how long the old 32x was in service and if more than one version was ever around?

I got both 32x and 50x, on a TSN-823 and 824.
As you comment, the 32x looks older design.

I haven´t used them yet, hardly.

By now I´m using the wonderfull 21x, and ocasionally the TZ-9 23-64x zoom (with a EC1 adapter attached).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back