• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Story about the durability of Kowa Genesis (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mark

About four years ago before I had my little problem that limited my mobility I was out watching bird strangely enough. I was on a observation platform over looking a river and when I got ready to leave I totally forgot there was an eight inch step-down. Timber!! I took a full length pratfall and landed on my Kowa 8.5X44's. They put a dent in the wood and I landed on them solidly enough that I cracked two ribs but not a scratch on the bins and they work perfectly.
Steve

Don't try this at home, folks!

Hope your ribs are now back on speaking terms with your binos Stephen.

Lee

About four years ago before I had my little problem that limited my mobility I was out watching bird strangely enough. I was on a observation platform over looking a river and when I got ready to leave I totally forgot there was an eight inch step-down. Timber!! I took a full length pratfall and landed on my Kowa 8.5X44's. They put a dent in the wood and I landed on them solidly enough that I cracked two ribs but not a scratch on the bins and they work perfectly.
Steve

That's impressive. Same for the Binoculars. :t:

I don't get why Kowa binoculars don't come up more in general discussions in this forum. I think the Genesis series is fantastic. I like them easily as much as my almost twice as expensive Swarovski's. I don't get it. Maybe it's because they don't really focus on binoculars per se.

Black crow, the reason is spelling. The name appearing on those binoculars is not spelt L-e-i-c-a, Z-... or S-w-a-r-o...

Hello everyone, I own the Kowa 8.5x44 cone aware of the fact that now has passed, there are better models more ergonomic.
I am also convinced that using it in any light condition, you will not see the slightest chromatic aberration, I use it for years and there is no history, I think it is the only one to absolutely eliminate this type of defect. It certainly weighs more than others but is well balanced and has a very precise focus.
I recently sold the telescope because moving on foot I do not have the ability to carry around all that weight but I rediscovered the birdwatching when I started, a bag a guide and my binoculars, you have to immerse yourself in nature and stop giving all this importance to 'equipment.

Hello everyone, I own the Kowa 8.5x44 cone aware of the fact that now has passed, there are better models more ergonomic.
I am also convinced that using it in any light condition, you will not see the slightest chromatic aberration, I use it for years and there is no history, I think it is the only one to absolutely eliminate this type of defect. It certainly weighs more than others but is well balanced and has a very precise focus.
I recently sold the telescope because moving on foot I do not have the ability to carry around all that weight but I rediscovered the birdwatching when I started, a bag a guide and my binoculars, you have to immerse yourself in nature and stop giving all this importance to 'equipment.

Dangerous ground to tread on Piskeddu... I once said I often went out with no binoculars, or guide, and it left some people totally baffled. "immerse yoursel in nature, and stop giving all of this importance to equipment" whatever next?8-P

I am in total agreement, but love the fact that people with the eqipment, and time to learn all of the details, so freely share their knowledge here. I have learned so much it has excited me about birding again.

Impressed with Stephen and the Kowas though:t:

Adhoc there is a lot of truth in your comment about the spelling of the name on the bins. I thought about doing a blind testing where they were all the same color but many of us know the ergonomics so well that we could probably figure out which was which for the most part.
Steve

Steve, it will be revealing if someone, with the time and resources, were to do a "mule" test: pl. see photos below of the new Land-Rover Defender (copied from Autocar, no infringement intended). By resources I mean: array of instruments [part borrowed, unless you are Chuck ;-)], material for "muling up" and ability to do that or have that done, and a number of suitable users. I think a member or couple of members of the forum have carried out tests with a limited array of binoculars, not "muled up", and on "lay" users, i.e. not cognoscenti like us on here.

PS. It strikes me only now, a good long time after posting, that the mule needs to have a focus adjuster, which can be linked to whatever hidden binocular, else it still can possibly be identified by its focus knob position, and also the focus direction (to infinity/back) needs to be one (retained or reversed beneath)! So it seems this is just another of my grand ideas.

Attachments

• lrd-1.jpg
    lrd-1.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back