• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (36 Viewers)

Penny Clarke said:
Glad you both had a fantastic time in Norfolk. It was nice that the whiskered tern was there for you! I was at Holme in the morning/afternoon on Saturday and I had intended to go to Titchwell mid afternoon, but after finding a female black redstart I stayed at Holme rest of day. Did go on Sunday though about 5pmish to tick whiskered tern!

Hey Penny, great that you got to tick whiskered tern - it was showing really nicely, wasn't it? You didn't see pec sand then? Sorry we didn't get to meet you too.

I attach two crap photos of said tern - but that was my first outing with my new Canon EOS 1D MkII N which I am trying to learn how to use ;-) Chris (Norfolkbirder) you said you wanted to see these - here they are - there were only these two keepers amongst all the loads of other terrible shots I took. I really hope I get better and can do justice to my nice new camera eventually! I reckon Frank will have done better - Frank?

Cheers
Didi

Attachments

• WhiskeredTern_2006-10_(Titchwell)-0002.jpg
    WhiskeredTern_2006-10_(Titchwell)-0002.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 208
  • WhiskeredTern_2006-10_(Titchwell)-0003.jpg
    WhiskeredTern_2006-10_(Titchwell)-0003.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 180
Yeah, really crap photos r2didi2! Maybe one day I'll get to take such crap pics.

I'm off to Titchwell next weekend, and am really looking forward to it.

whomes said:
Yeah, really crap photos r2didi2! Maybe one day I'll get to take such crap pics.

I'm off to Titchwell next weekend, and am really looking forward to it.

Hey, have a fantastic time - it was a real eye-opener for me - apart from the awesome birding, the people up there are so very nice compared to the many snooty gits you tend to get in West Sussex where I dwell!! If you get the chance to go on one of the boat trips, you will be in for a treat - seeing the seals as well as birdies was a real special treat for me. And I am really chuffed about your comment re my photos - thanks :))))

Cheers
Didi

r2didi2 - i'd love to see more of your cr*p photos, particularly anything else you took at Titchwell or around Norfolk. Really sound for such an early effort. Glad your trip to Norfolk was so successful - here's to many more!

Ruralchill said:
r2didi2 - i'd love to see more of your cr*p photos, particularly anything else you took at Titchwell or around Norfolk. Really sound for such an early effort. Glad your trip to Norfolk was so successful - here's to many more!

Thanks! My site which is just being built is www.didiphoto.co.uk but I have at least so far managed to get some of my abroad trip reports done bottom right hand corner of http://www.didiphoto.co.uk/BIRDING/

Best wishes
Didi

r2didi2 said:
=
I got 3 lifers on the BF members front as well: Pete Duxon, a geezer whose name I can't remember (sorry!) and Chris (NorfolkBirder) who did the guided walk with us. Nice to have met you all. Cheers Chris if you read this - hope you didn't have too much of a hangover on the Sunday ;-)

Didi

the geezer was Mr Dave Deboo. Nice to meet you didi.

Hi Didi

Well done with photos!!!

No didn't see Pec. sands, it was rubbish light when I arrived, but yes the Whiskered tern was definately showing off when I arrived, beautiful to watch as it twisted and dropped to the water catching fish.

Best Wishes Penny

r2didi2 said:
I attach two crap photos of said tern

Crap pics eh? Hmmmmmmm.... I wish my photos were that 'bad' :) Haven't had a chance to check your website yet but will certainly get around to it at some point.
Glad you had a good trip

James

finally saw my first Redwings of the Autumn on my way to work this morning - 5 on stokesby marshes

But that was about the only thing that did seem Autumnal, in fact it was almost a perfect spring morning in the sunshine with Chaffinches chasing each other about, Rooks rebuilding nests & i even counted about 6 Skylarks in song flight on Filby heath

Hi Karl,
Had my first Brambling of the autumn in the village yesterday but apart from lots of Robins & thrushes and a reasonable tit flock there wasn't a great deal about. Best birds Sunday were a Blackcap, a Stonechat, Rock Pipit and a juv. Shag on a breakwater.

James

Last edited:
r2didi2 said:
I attach two crap photos of said tern - but that was my first outing with my new Canon EOS 1D MkII N which I am trying to learn how to use ;-) Chris (Norfolkbirder) you said you wanted to see these - here they are - there were only these two keepers amongst all the loads of other terrible shots I took. I really hope I get better and can do justice to my nice new camera eventually! I reckon Frank will have done better - Frank?
Yup, I can take crap photos as well...

Attachments

• Norfolk%20061014%20041.jpg
    Norfolk%20061014%20041.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Norfolk%20061014%20069.jpg
    Norfolk%20061014%20069.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Norfolk%20061014%20076.jpg
    Norfolk%20061014%20076.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Norfolk%20061014%20077.jpg
    Norfolk%20061014%20077.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 168
Helenelizabeth2 said:
Great pics, Frank. Is the Whiskered Tern still there, does anyone know? There's a chance I might get to have a look tomorrow.

Helen
Reportedly still present this morning per Birdguides

Yesterday - Wednesday - Had 5 grey wagtails flicking about in the sunshine in the 'Millfleet' near Boalquay carpark, King's Lynn in my lunch hour and also the kingfisher has returned for sticklebacks (it stayed all last winter)!

Are there now 2 Whiskered Terns, or has the Titchwell one found its wings? I notice it has been reported from Blakeney/Cley/Salthouse this afternnon as well as Titchwell a bit later (i only have the free Birdguides details so i cant ssee any details). I'm hopefully coming to Norfolk this weekend and hope that it (and its supporting cast) hangs around till Saturday.

Mike

Yellow-browed warbler at Holkam Pines - probably one of the weekend lingerers, but could be a new one. Big flock of several hundred Skylarks and meadow pipits came in off the sea and spent about half an hour on the saltmarsh, suggesting a mini-fall. Sifting through them turned up a snow bunting, but nothing else of interest. Also got the white-rumped sand at Cley. Spoke to soemone there who was highly skeptical of the whiskered around Cley. That said RBA have it down as a definate.

Hi Ilya

Dave S had a Pallas' at Holkham (prob not on pagers?) yesterday

John M is up this weekend and James Eaton's coming over too so should be some top birding to be had. Gotta be out this weekend... despite a fri nite in Norwich!

biked round to stubb mill this evening

counted about 11 - 12 harriers, 2 Cranes, 1 Barn Owl and a few other bits & pieces so quite quiet really. Not even many geese about.

Afterwards as i rid back up the Stubb road and through Hickling village there were loads of night-moths and, interestingly, about 20 - 25 bats ... small ones whatever sort they are

Users who are viewing this thread

Back