• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron T4 Trailfinder WP 8x25 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

wilberfloss

Hi, Birders.

I'm looking to purchase a pair of budget compact binoculars. The Opticron T4 Trailfinder WP 8x25 binoculars fit my criteria of price, a decent eye-relief and fully multi-coated optics. Does anyone have any experience of their performance in the field? I can not find an independent review anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Wilberfloss,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm slightly surprised no owners have come forward to comment. The T4 may not be everyone's first choice binocular but I'm sure many have one in the glove box of their cars. It's a model I've picked up a few times in stores or birding shows and no, it doesn't compare to models costing two or three times the price, but it does quite a reasonable job for a roof prism binocular in this price range. I did consider it as a pocket binocular for those short walks to the news agent, but in the end went for something more expensive, with better coatings. If size isn't the primary factor I'd suggest a reverse porro, something like the Opticron Taiga 8x25 or the Nikon Travelite 8x25, which will have a brighter, sharper view. Otherwise I'd say the T4 is rather better than some budget compacts I've seen.

David

Last edited:
Thanks, David. I was just surprised by the absence of reviews on the web, even on Amazon, for what seems like a decent budget bin. Also, I read that it has been discontinued in the USA as of Feb 2019. However, it is still listed on Opticron's UK site. Anyway, thanks for your advice; I shall certainly give some thought to the models you have suggested.

Many thanks.

WF,

Just as a blindsider. For the same money as the T4, Opticron have the Adventurer T WP 6.5x32 porro. It won't tuck into your shirt pocket, but has a very wide field of view, works well with my glasses at least, and will do much better in low light than those compacts.

I don't need one, but I want one.;)

David

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find a lot more reviews of the predecessor models on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005GPB5O4

The T3 and T4 are optically the same.

The T4 series is being phased out in the US to be replaced by another range which will be sold in-store only (as the Alpha ED models continue to be in that country).

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back