• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Houston, Texas, USA (1 Viewer)

NicholasDeMaio

Hello all. My fiance and I bougt a home here in the Spring Branch District of Houston, TX in December 2012. I inherited a love of birds from my grandfather, but only now at 35 years old, have I labelled myself a "bird watcher." In honor of that, my fiance bought me a nice pair of binos as a gift. Here at my home, I have 4 giant oaks, and my neigborhood is full of all manner of mature trees. I mostly watch birds here and have recently begun recording my lists at eBird. I have the "usual" daily crowd of Doves, Common Grackles, Blue Jays, Starlings, and Sparrows. Recently, I've been visited by crows, various warblers, wrens, Cedar Waxwings, woodpeckers, and the occasional raptor. I also go to the Sam Houston National Forest nearby and also to Lake Livingston to watch birds. My mind is overflowing with newbie bird questions, so thanks in advance for putting up with them.

Cheers!
Nicholas DeMaio

Hi Nicholas and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Living in Texas, you have wonderful access to several great birding organizations. Houston Audubon has field trips, classes, and sanctuaries to offer (houstonaudubon.org).

The Houston Outdoor Nature Club Ornithology Group (OG) has field trips, monthly meetings, and good educational programming.

The Texas Ornithological Society (TOS - texasbirds.org) offers semi-annual meetings at various points in the state, the Texas Bird Records Committee, and publications on Texas birds, birders, and birding.

You don't even have to join any of these groups to benefit from their programming. I hope you'll consider joining, however, and you'll get great value for your enrollment dollar.

The next TOS meeting is April 18-20 in Laredo. Houston Audubon is about to begin their spring migration bird walks at High Island, and they host a field trip the fourth Saturday of each month.

If you'd like any other information about Texas birding, please feel free to contact me directly. Welcome to the community.

Steve Gross
President, Texas Ornithological Society

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back