• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring Migration (1 Viewer)

teamsaint

I'm suprised that no-one has started this thread yet, but migrants certainly coming in now. Looking at the reports clearly lots of Wheatears and LRPs arrived overnight, also many Sand Martins still.

Personally I heard at least 5 Chiffchaffs this morning.

There has been a few Black Redsarts,Firecrests seen on the east coast as well.And many Avocets have returned to there breeding areas ,Shetland had there first Sandwich Tern a few days ago there earliest by 5 days.

Last edited:
150+ Sand Martins in Devon yesterday, with c20 Wheatears. Not many Fieldfares/Redwings around anymore either (well not in the south west at any rate). Has the Sparrow finally pushed off? Looks likes spring is finally here!

Wanwell%2009%20March%202008%20233.jpg

Wanwell%2009%20March%202008%20232.jpg

Around my local area there's been a couple of Sand Martins but no Wheatears as yet. Bit early for around my local area but hoping to pick them up very soon. I love this time of the year, there is a lot to look forwards to- Chiffs, Swallows and House Martins, Willow Warbs and Swifts! Not looking forward to that quiet bit though they they go all shy on us until autumn mig.

Signs of migration: Chiffchaffs singing and a Redshank flying over my house on Saturday; White Wagtail nearby on Sunday. Also the Bramblings seem to be slowly moving back this way...

Spring Migration - 16/03/08 N.wheatear At Hollinsclough Staffs Moorlands

DATE:SUN 16th MARCH 15.30 APPROX
Whilst out for a walk on a overcast, bitterly cold and windy Sunday afternoon we spotted a single male N.Wheatear on the southern slopes of Hollinsclough valley.
Regards Mick & Tina Sway
B :)

Attachments

• 04 HOLLINSCLOUGH VIEW 160308.jpg
    04 HOLLINSCLOUGH VIEW 160308.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 01 WHEATEAR HOLLINSCLOUGH 160308.jpg
    01 WHEATEAR HOLLINSCLOUGH 160308.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 02 WHEATEAR HOLLINSCLOUGH 160308.jpg
    02 WHEATEAR HOLLINSCLOUGH 160308.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 109
spring migration

Hi,

Migration has started here in Manitoba.Over the last couple of
days seen Canada Geese flying over and at a park seen a flock
of Dark-eyed Juncos singing and moving through!

First singing chiffchaff today at Oxford Island on the southern shore of Lough Neagh.:t:

Still plenty of redwing, fieldfare and goldeneye about though.

Scaup numbers have been building up throughout the month as they prepare for as northward trip.

Last edited:
White Storks Black Storks and Common Cranes on The way

This shots Of 12000 ws,500 bs and 3000 Cc were taken in yotveta south Israel in the 12-03-08.

Attachments

• תצפית חסידות ועג
    152.3 KB · Views: 113
  • תצפית חסידות ועג
    161.8 KB · Views: 95
theres been two sedge warbler reported in gwent (one on the 17th and another on the 20th) both at the Newport Wetlands NNR. both apparently seen well, but these are very early though, right?

The Black redstarts left here 10 days ago with most of the Chiffchaffs ,the Blackcaps are still here finishing off the ivy berries before they go.
The Swallows ,B.e wheatear,Yellow wagtails and Black winged stilts have arrived 10 days early.
Can't wait for the Eleonora's and Red footed falcons to arrive.

Last edited:
Hi, migration starting slowly down here too! A few Marsh Harriers :t:, Swallows and Martins. Very few willow w., tree pipits and wheatears though ecc..! :-C
Most of the wintering birds have left, only a few robins, meadow pipits (quite a lot stil) and white wagtails left. Nearly All chiffchaff, black redstarts and all stonechats are gone.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back