• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Locations for Goshawks? (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Just need some help in adding Goshawk to my list.
I'm a big fan of all the birds of prey and have so far seen (and I know its not very many) over quite a number of years, as I have just returned to birding in a more determined way over the last couple of years.

Peregrine
Kestrel
Golden Eagle
Buzzard
Merlin
Hen Harrier
Osprey
Barn Owl
Tawny Owl
Sparrowhawk (twice just as they have been making a kill)

So in order to add one of my most favouritist of all,I could use some pointers as to good locations easily accessible from Chorley in Lancs

Also tips on spotting any other BofP gratefully received

Cheers

CGD:t:

Goshawk is a schedule One species - only known and 'officially' publicised sites can be broadcast on this most public forum. I believe that there are some such sites, but others will have to direct you to them as there are none in my neck of the woods which is, anyhow, far too distant from you,

John

With John's pertinent reminder, I'm sure that the Lancashire bird report ought to reveal a site or two. Down here in Devon we have the great raptor watch point at Haldon Hill, where Goshawks are seen reasonably frequently, but it's a bit of a trek from Lancs.

You could surely add Marsh Harrier at Leighton Moss RSPB?

Best

Jon

Hi all

I'm a big fan of all the birds of prey and have so far seen (and I know its not very many) over quite a number of years, as I have just returned to birding in a more determined way over the last couple of years.

Peregrine
Kestrel
Golden Eagle
Buzzard
Merlin
Hen Harrier
Osprey
Barn Owl
Tawny Owl

So in order to add one of my most favouritist of all,I could use some pointers as to good locations easily accessible from Chorley in Lancs

Cheers

Living in Lancashire you are within very short travelling distances of various well watched Goshawk observation sites, some are probably less than 30 minutes from the centre of Manchester !!! I suggest you contact your regional recorder or the nearest Raptor Study Group and see if they are willing to give you any more detailed information. Do your own homework, it pays dividends in the end.

nirofo.

With John's pertinent reminder, I'm sure that the Lancashire bird report ought to reveal a site or two. Down here in Devon we have the great raptor watch point at Haldon Hill, where Goshawks are seen reasonably frequently, but it's a bit of a trek from Lancs.

You could surely add Marsh Harrier at Leighton Moss RSPB?

Best

Jon

I write the relevant section of the Lancashire report and we don't name regular sites, even though some of them are (too) widely known.

Stephen.

Glad to hear it Stephen, I hope you didn't think I was trying to advocate giving out sensitive info like this! Just thought there might be a raptor watch point In Lancs which could be what cut glass needs to help him on his way.

Jon

Hi all

Peregrine
Kestrel
Golden Eagle
Buzzard
Merlin
Hen Harrier
Osprey
Barn Owl
Tawny Owl

Cheers

CGD

Do some homework, get a map of Bowland, look for some decent woodland, locate a viewpoint that overlooks that woodland. Get up early one morning in early March, arrive at your viewpoint and settle in for a few hours watching for any signs of Goshawk displaying. Quite possibly you will have to visit several locations before any success, that what its all about and make for good birding. Be lucky.

Mick.

There is Windy Corner up on Howden Reservoir, a fairly well publicised traditional spot up in the Peak District. Just start showing up around this time of year, so I hear.

Sorry but with only eight posts I would be careful not to tell you anything until I got to know you more. Nothing personal but I have been bitten once or twice now.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back