• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (4 Viewers)

Looks like a Brick to me Ben, could well be wrong without a book in front of me.

Nice one Ryan, I think you may be correct there, forgot about brick!

At least there were some migrant moths to look at today- otherwise a very quiet day off!

Thanks!

Got to work this morning and was greeted by a Hummingbird Hawkmoth flying back and forth along the wall, seemingly looking for somewhere to settle. It spent about 5 minutes zooming about before deciding it couldn't find a suitable place to land and disappeared around the end of the building. An excellent start to the day!

Painted Lady at Beeston today, seemingly arrived in off sea and immediately went to roost. Also a single large yellow underwing trying to fight the winds up on the bump too!

Well almost in Norfolk (about ten miles into Cambs, they don't have a butterfly thread). Had a Peacock butterfly at work today,flying in the garden, enjoying the mid day sunshine.My earliest butterfly ever.

I saw a tweet today from Graham Appleton who said he had a Brimstone on the wing today - seen whilst out doing his Winter Thrushes Survey. Norwich area presumably.

My First Moths of Year

Saw the pictured Dotted Border Moth below land on a window sill yesterday evening in the garden. A common moth and not an unusual sighting but relatively early for the species I think (the earliest I have seen them anyway)

Also have had a few Winter Moths in the car headlights this month.

It would be interesting to know what the Moth enthusiasts of Norfolk have been catching in traps this month.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• Dotted Border Small.jpg
    Dotted Border Small.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 44
Haven't seen a butterfly on the wing yet this year but the hibernating Small Tort that has been in my garden all winter has now disappeared, so presumably it's woken up in the slightly warmer, sunnier weather of the past two days.

I've now had reports of Red Admiral, Small Tort, Peacock, Brimstone, Comma and Speckled Wood. So this is rather more than a few hibernators coming out early, we seem to have started the butterfly season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back