• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

April in Southwest Louisiana (1 Viewer)

michaelboustead

I hope to be birding in SW Louisiana and perhaps into Texas beginning April 8.

I am interested in finding:

Snowy Plover
Wilson's Plover

I fear I am late for these.

Also, any ideas for Red-cockaded Woodpecker would be appreciated.

Mike

Red-Cockaded is found in southeast Louisiana, I have seen it at Big Branch near Mandeville, Louisiana, on the north shore of New Orleans.

I suggest contacting the folks who sponsor the Great Louisiana Bird Fest in April:

http://www.northlakenature.org/

They will likely have a tour leading you to where the RCWO may be found. I don't know the condition of the trees or nests post-Katrina.

michaelboustead said:
I hope to be birding in SW Louisiana and perhaps into Texas beginning April 8.

I am interested in finding:

Snowy Plover
Wilson's Plover

I fear I am late for these.

Also, any ideas for Red-cockaded Woodpecker would be appreciated.

Mike

Last edited:
Well nevermind the date. I just wanted to point out there there are RCWP in Southwest Louisiana. I've seen several of them in Vernon Parish in Kisatchie NF and Fort Polk.

I've seen Wilson's Plovers on the Isles Dernieres south of Houma (not southwest, but anyways...).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back