• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Warblers (2 Viewers)

markspirito

Anyone noticed an increase in Garden Warblers recently ?, on my local patch ( Daventry country park, Northants ) I have heard 5 singing individuals last weekend and even in the scrub opposite my house this morning where normally we have none

Not up here in southeast Northumbs. So far, just one passage bird singing for one afternoon on 19th on my roughly 10-km square patch.

Can't remember Lesser Whitethroat numbers ever being so high though, had about 10 or a dozen in the same area.

In April Garden Warbler records recieved were from 3 locations in derbyshire Involveing 4 birds I had the 3rd Location, Lesser Whitethroat from the middle of April were recorded from seven different sites, this months counts will give us more of a true picture.

Not up here in southeast Northumbs. So far, just one passage bird singing for one afternoon on 19th on my roughly 10-km square patch.

Can't remember Lesser Whitethroat numbers ever being so high though, had about 10 or a dozen in the same area.

I was in that part of the world last week, and saw several and heard many others, particularly around the hamsterly area. Not a bloody sniff of a lesser whitethroat though. :smoke:

I've found thirteen individuals since Sunday.
There were three alongside the canal near Crooklands, Cumbria on Sunday.
This morning there were seven between Underbarrow and Lord's Lot and a further three at the foot of Scout Scar near Brigsteer[ also Cumbria].
I haven't been to the Garden Warbler hotspot in the Winster Valley so far this Spring. Normally I find about seven or eight there.
These numbers are about average for these areas.

Last edited:
I was in that part of the world last week, and saw several and heard many others, particularly around the hamsterly area. Not a bloody sniff of a lesser whitethroat though. :smoke:

That's further inland - on the coastal strip, Lesserthroats are frequent, and Gardens very rare. Other way round, once you get into the hills a bit.

Opposite for me. We had at least 4 singing (slight increase) Garden Warblers on a local walk last weekend in west London suburbs. I've yet to see/hear Lesser Whitethroat, though I was away 3 weeks this spring. Used to have about 2 pairs on my local patch. None bred last year though saw the species on passage. Hope they're not going the way of Willow Warbler down here!

My informal 0.9km transect in NW Durham from office to supermarket has a garden warbler holding territory in the same patch of scrub as 2 & 3 years ago...but unoccupied last year. So at very least back to what they were here.

On the other hand, willow warblers were late arriving (by about a week) in this area and seem a little thinner on the ground than usual.

Last year did't get 1 on patch this year at least 3 also I noticed when going west last week gardens warblers seem quite common

I kept a record of Garden Warblers I've seen on my travels this year.
The hotspots around Lords Lot were considerably down but the weather was poor on that visit. Also the other hotspot , the Winster Valley was down maybe because I didn't get round there till this week and the birds were quietening down.
On a positive note I was finding new areas for them or increased numbers in places I'd recorded them before.
There were 22 recorded in all. I only actually saw about three of them, the rest were heard singing their understated bubbling song.

18th May- 3 Garden Warbler Crooklands SD 5383[ still there 20th May]

22nd May- 1 Garden Warbler Underbarrow SD 4692

22nd May - 2 Garden Warbler Crook Golf Course SD 4594

22nd May 1 Garden Warbler Low Fold, Crook SD 4593

22nd May- 3 Garden Warbler Lord’s Lot, Underbarrow SD4592

22nd May- 3 Garden Warbler- Brigsteer SD4889

24th May- 1 Garden Warbler Low Sizergh SD 5087

29th May- 2 Garden Warbler Bannisdale-NY 0550

30th May 1 Garden Warbler Brigsteer SD4789

4th June- 2 Garden Warbler Barkbooth, Winster Valley SD 4191

4th June- 1 Garden Warbler Bryan Beck Winster Valley SD4190

4th June - 1 Garden Warbler Hollins, Winster Valley SD4189

6th June - 1 Garden Warbler Holme Park Fell SD5479

Last edited:
Plenty of Garden Warblers on my patch and no Lesser Whitethroats - can't say if that's an increase as I'm new to the place.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back